Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Drives: Velocity Yellow C6 Z06
Turbo or Supercharged ?

Im starting to look more and more into forced induction and find my self in a split decision of Twin Turbo or SuperCharged ?
Any input would help, The car is an L99 Im looking to upgrade it in steps and not spend a fourtune all at once but in the long run would want it Cammed,Headers, Forged Internals, Some driveline/Transmission to handel it and other various Upgrades and some form of Forced Induction. The car has close to 5K Miles on it and Is a Daily Driver so i need somthing that would be reliable, And im also not in the mood to Drop Large Sums of money on maitnece all the time being i will no longer have a warenty. So whats the better way to go, Im wanting to achive 600-700 RWHP in the End and probaly going to start with a blower cam and headers in the next few months.

Thanks any input will help.

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Full Body Stripes
Flat Black Tail Light Bezels
Flat Black Camaro Emblems
Flat Black / Red SS Emblems
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
If you're going to put a S/C on, do the headers, if not don't waste your money on them. Most (if not all) of the TT setups are using the factory headers. You can save $1000+ towards the TT setup by leaving the factory shorties in place. The aftermarket shorties are not worth the $$ to swap them out if you're going TT.

If you are going the S/C route, swap the headers and cam it.

Price for the TT kit is usually about $1000 more than a similar SC setup. I've seen SC's as cheap as $5200, but the cheapest (cost wise) TT setup I've seen was $7999 (ish).

Getting to the 650-700rwhp number is going to require more mods than just bolting on the SC or TT. You will need a twin/triple fuel pump at the very least.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
If you want headers for the sound, you pretty much need to go SC. All the TT setups I see use the stock exhaust manifold.

There are tons of threads on this topic. There is not right answer on this. You need to decide what your goals and budget are. Do a bunch of reading here. That's what I did.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
the reaon i did not go TT is the way they hang under the car.a speed bump could cost ya thousands. and i live on a 1 mile dirt road so the one with the intake under the car would not work either.

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Bottom line...if you want 600-700 rwhp you are looking at spending some serious money, especialy if someone else is doing the work. I suggest starting with a 418 or 427 stroker job to your shortblock that is built with FI friendly compression and cam (with upgraded valvetrain)....this will cost about as much as the SC+install. Doing it this way you start with a strong base. From there you can save for the SC while adding little things (cost wise) like suspension/diff bushings, springs, sways, etc.. You will also need a torque converter and upgraded fuel system after you cross the 550 rwhp threshold. Anyway...you are looking at 25K minumum when its all said and done. Unless you do the NOS thing..which is not street legal and lame IMO.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Drives: Velocity Yellow C6 Z06
No I'm definitely not looking into Nos lol. And I'm thinking about the above I'd like to start some where that I can keep throwing stuff on and have the SC or TT one of the last things done, I also have heard alot of the SC are more of a daily driver reliablity wise than TT, anyone have any coments on this ? And as far as the price like I said I'm not looking to do anything over night more like along term project, but I'd like to start somewhere soon to get going with the performance aspect of the car,
Thanks again

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Full Body Stripes
Flat Black Tail Light Bezels
Flat Black Camaro Emblems
Flat Black / Red SS Emblems
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
No I'm definitely not looking into Nos lol. And I'm thinking about the above I'd like to start some where that I can keep throwing stuff on and have the SC or TT one of the last things done, I also have heard alot of the SC are more of a daily driver reliablity wise than TT, anyone have any coments on this ? And as far as the price like I said I'm not looking to do anything over night more like along term project, but I'd like to start somewhere soon to get going with the performance aspect of the car,
Thanks again
I wanted a good reliable daily driver with lots of power on demand. I also wanted the sound of headers. So, after much reading, I decided to go with a Magnuson TVS 2300.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
my tuner said to me ."buy the S/C drive and save then rebuild for more psi"
his point was the money you spend now gives ya 150 or so hp. then with the new motor i could get anouther 100 hp. if i did the motor first and set it up for s/c it would be a dog N/A till i got the S/c.

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
how many cars come from the factory with turbos? how many with sc? ever wonder why?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Nice SS
Mr. Bill

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thats a good point, bout whats coming out of the factory
Nice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
how many cars come from the factory with turbos? how many with sc? ever wonder why?
GM wants to sell to the masses. Turbos and SCs are expensive.

They do sell Caddys with SCs in them, but they add a lot to the cost.

I'd much rather select my own mods. The SCs they do install on some models at the factory are always very conservative because they want to cut their losses of warranty repairs.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
yeah..they don't sel too many becuase of insurnace cost and overall costs associated/passed on to the consumer. My advice is to go motor first...I didn't but only because I didn't know any better. The N/A stroker will not be a dog at 10:1 compression. It won't be what the higher compression motors are but it will be better than bone stock. I get the point being made but for me...until I can save up for the stroker, i'm not going to be running mine hard for fear of blowing it up...so it's a wash either way...find the CC performance guy on here and he can give you an idea of cost/performance for a stroker that fits your build goals....and the guy HKE builds the motors very close to where you are.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
fugimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS ABM
I am pretty much in the same boat as you are JAB. I have been thinking of going the TT route myself, but still hesitant as it is and will be my daily driver for awhile and still take it to the strip.

What I have heard about the TT is that when it is a daily driver, you have to be extra careful when you get on it, like getting on a freeway on ramp, since the turbos spool versus a S/C where the power is always there.

One person I talked to that has had both on the same car (not at the same time), it was a dodge challenger, the TT gave her more power, but was not as fun to drive as a daily driver, as you had to know when the turbos would kick in, though she did say it was fun at first. The S/C was more enjoyable for her as a daily driver, but had less overall power. She was running 10.6-10.7 (147 mph, I would have to double check my slip, but she was dialed in at 10.75) at the track and had the turbos spooling at 2400 rpms and the car is not a daily driver any more.

I am still considering going the TT route, just not 100% positive as this is also a long term project of mine and want the suspension done before installing one or the other.

I am still doing my homework on the two, as I am no where near as knowledgeable as others on here and do enjoy reading these posts.
Injen CAI
AAC lighting (Foot well, trunk, interior, RGB Halos, Plasma DRLs, V2 scanner, side markers)
fugimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Just my < .02. It really depends on what you want - and you need to be honest with yourself. If you want ease of installation and trouble free operation it is hard to beat a PD supercharger. The TQ is instant which is what most people want - the "seat of the pants" feel. I just rode in GTAHVITs THR22 with a TVS2300 and that thing flat hauls butt... Idles like a stocker, runs cool, but rockets when you get on it.

I have been very lucky and presently have all three types of FI - PD, Centrifugal and TTs. They are all good for their intended applications. You can't go wrong either way.

Once again it is up to you. Just be honest with yourself. Try to ride in a fellow Camaro 5 member's car that has FI. Make a list of pros and cons for each type of FI, prioritize them and then make your final decision. You'll be happier that way.