Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
CamaroTrent

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
quick ss vs zl1 question

I've had my 2011 1SS for a little over two years and its still completely stock. A buddy of mines treaded in his 2009 SRT8 charger for a ZL1 this weekend. Needless to say I need a performance upgrade, though Im not trying to outrun him I would still like a little boost in HP. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
CamaroTrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTrent View Post
I've had my 2011 1SS for a little over two years and its still completely stock. A buddy of mines treaded in his 2009 SRT8 charger for a ZL1 this weekend. Needless to say I need a performance upgrade, though Im not trying to outrun him I would still like a little boost in HP. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
I see on average ZL1's trap speed is 115-118mph.

Headers, CAI, Cam & tune should get you there with a good tire.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
CamaroTrent

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
any specific brands you can recommend and im assuming your talking longtube headers
CamaroTrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you plan on keeping the car a while we generally recommend a quality stainless steel header. They will outlast the car itself. Two of our top sellers are Stainless Works and ARH long tube headers. They can add 30-35 rwhp and add some serious rumble! A cold air intake is another great way to add some easy horsepower. We get the best reviews on CAI and Roto-Fab systems, they also look cool, sound good and perform awesome!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTrent View Post
any specific brands you can recommend and im assuming your talking longtube headers
That depends if your an LS3 or L99 car (stick or auto) and what your budget is.

If you wanna beat a ZL1 "on the cheap"?

-TSP 1 7/8" or 2" Long tube headers
-Night Furry cam package/LG G6X3 cam package/Custom ground cam + matching valve train
-CAI/Roto-Fab/Vararam/Some sort of cold air intake
-JRE tune/Dyno Tune of soem kind from a reputable tuner

That will do it.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Before spending $15-20K beefing up your SS, why not invest that in your own ZL1 and have it covered under warranty..... Just a thought!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
you don't need to spend $20k to do that...
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Before spending $15-20K beefing up your SS, why not invest that in your own ZL1 and have it covered under warranty..... Just a thought!
zl1 is nice and a fantastic car in many facets. wont take 20k to beef up a ss thats a bit high and mighty
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Drive it like you stole it.

He's $60,000+ into that car and it much more likely to baby it.

How much can you spend? Just buy a charger and you'll be over his output
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
zl1 is nice and a fantastic car in many facets. wont take 20k to beef up a ss thats a bit high and mighty
Depends on what you want. If you want to beat the ZL1 all around, you definitely need to supercharge the SS, to beat the ZL1 on the track, you need to beef up the suspension. If all you do is CAI, Headers, tune and Cam.... well if your friend with the ZL1 does the same thing it will leave you in the same boat. I did the Math when I owned my 2SS to make it match the ZL1.... trust me, it's cheaper to just buy a ZL1. Also, for those that thing most of us baby our ZL1's, think again.... I don't... drive like I stole it!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Bolt up a blower.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Depends on what you want. If you want to beat the ZL1 all around, you definitely need to supercharge the SS, to beat the ZL1 on the track, you need to beef up the suspension. If all you do is CAI, Headers, tune and Cam.... well if your friend with the ZL1 does the same thing it will leave you in the same boat. I did the Math when I owned my 2SS to make it match the ZL1.... trust me, it's cheaper to just buy a ZL1. Also, for those that thing most of us baby our ZL1's, think again.... I don't... drive like I stole it!
i can do all the bolt ons, cam, headwork, rear end, slap on a blower and replace the entire suspension for less than it would cost me for a zl1. track wheels and tires and i still would have less invested.

the zl1 has some really cool stuff like the magnetic suspension and all the launch settings. the zl1 interior is nicer as well. i was tempted to get a zl1 and keep my ss but didnt and decided to make my ss perform better on track while still driving it every day. zl1 is a phenominal car dont get me wrong but by no means is it some unbeatable supercar. if there was a awd version i would have gotten it for road course with no second thoughts to bad we arent local to each to other because i would invite you to compete against my measely 450rwhp cars lap times at my next track weekend. heck arizona is not far come out to fontana may 4-5 and race on the roval with me
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i can do all the bolt ons, cam, headwork, rear end, slap on a blower and replace the entire suspension for less than it would cost me for a zl1. track wheels and tires and i still would have less invested.

the zl1 has some really cool stuff like the magnetic suspension and all the launch settings. the zl1 interior is nicer as well. i was tempted to get a zl1 and keep my ss but didnt and decided to make my ss perform better on track while still driving it every day. zl1 is a phenominal car dont get me wrong but by no means is it some unbeatable supercar. if there was a awd version i would have gotten it for road course with no second thoughts to bad we arent local to each to other because i would invite you to compete against my measely 450rwhp cars lap times at my next track weekend. heck arizona is not far come out to fontana may 4-5 and race on the roval with me
I don't think you could equal the ZL1 without the suspension piece, after all it beat the GT500 on the track with 70 less HP. And yes you could mod your car and try to bring it up to ZL1 specs. What I think we are trying to say if you buy an SS and do all the mods to make it a ZL1 it would cost more than if you just bought a ZL1. You also have to remember other things that would have to be upgraded, brakes, steering, tranny, rear end and all the extra cooling that goes with that. These were all beefed up to take the additional power of the ZL1. I think you need to look at some of the Nurburing or VIR times to see that this $56,000 muscle car beats $150,000 to $200,000 supercars.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I don't think you could equal the ZL1 without the suspension piece, after all it beat the GT500 on the track with 70 less HP. And yes you could mod your car and try to bring it up to ZL1 specs. What I think we are trying to say if you buy an SS and do all the mods to make it a ZL1 it would cost more than if you just bought a ZL1. You also have to remember other things that would have to be upgraded, brakes, steering, tranny, rear end and all the extra cooling that goes with that. These were all beefed up to take the additional power of the ZL1. I think you need to look at some of the Nurburing or VIR times to see that this $56,000 muscle car beats $150,000 to $200,000 supercars.

I agree ... You would have to start off with a 2SS/RS to keep things somewhat equal. Then you would have to completely change the weight balance of the SS to equal the ZL1's 51/49 ratio. Then there would be a problem with the aero design. The SS is designed to create lift, where the ZL1 is designed to create down force. Those are just a couple things that would have to be done, to be apples to apples.