Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Blacknchromehd
Blacknchromehd

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Swaping the TPMS from stock wheels to new Tire Rack wheels

I just ordered a new set of wheels for my Synergy Camaro....I am staying with the 19s as the tires have 600 miles on them...I am moving the sensors to the new wheels...

Is there anything I will need to do? Will they just continue to work like they were still in the stock ones?

Also big thumbs up to the people at Tire Rack...

Bill
Attached Images

Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
If you use the same sensors, the only thing you will have to do is to relearn their positions so the DIC will report the correct tire pressure at the correct location. BTW, love to car!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Blacknchromehd
Blacknchromehd

Mickey..I understand from reading other posts that this is not a hard thing to do?

I ordered them 3 day shipment so I can have them prior to the 4th of July family Event...at 55 this is the first car since my 72 GTO that I feel special in...Great car..color is why I chose the Camaro in the first place...windows are done, 1/4 flares, blacked out the bowties...now grille, wheels and then exhaust..
Old 06-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
ryank1

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
You will either need to carefully remove the valve stems from the old rims or just order new stems from the dealer and swap the sensors over. The stems have a threaded insert for the sensor to screw into.
ryank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Blacknchromehd
Blacknchromehd

Ryanl1...I did order new stems from Tire Rack when I placed the order. Well to be honest I did the purchase on line and when done 5 minutes passed and they called me. Wanted to make sure I did not need the sensors but informed me that I would need new stems...How great is that...I paid for 3 day delivery and they were smart enough to ask me so it saved me a ton of shit later on....What service...do not see that anymore..
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
If you put the sensors in the same wheels (left front in the new left front, etc.) then you shouldn't have any issues. The car should just remember them.

Just as an FYI, a LOT of us have had problems with the car relearning new sensors. We haven't yet discovered if it's the car's relearn program or the sensors or what.

I am going to be taking my old sensors out of my stock wheels this week and put them in my new wheels. I haven't been able to get the new sensors to pair properly to my car. It's been a huge hassel.

THEORETICALLY, it is easy to use the "relearn" system in the car's DIC (just read the manual and be near an air hose). You press relearn and then let air out of the tires in sequence (starting with driver side front tire and going around clockwise to each wheel) until the horn sounds to signal it leans each sensor. The problem for some of us has been the car holding onto the signal. My car keeps losing the signal and I have to reprogram them. I've given up and am putting my sensors from my stock wheels in the new wheels.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Blacknchromehd
Blacknchromehd

Final Choice for the Synergy Wheel change

Here is the final choice we have made for the change on the Camaro...What do you all think?

Inserts (3) sets come in carbon fiber...chrome and the last set we will powdercoat Green to match the color of the car

Bill
Attached Images