Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Disc Golfer

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Front plates in Texas

What are you guys doing about front tags? I got a written warning from the police chief in my town last night….. I need to put something on the front but don’t want to. Any good ideas for keeping the front fascia in tact?

By the way, the cop was cool. Told me about his 68 Camaro when he was in college.

Thanks,
Brian

2LT/RS Cyber Gray with White Stripes - Auto

Disc Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Check out the "DIY and How to threads". There are a couple of options for ya there.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I got a warning too and will NOT be putting mine on. If you have to go show them just use the spongy double sided tape. Looks like a good install and then comes right off. That's how my dealer had mine installed...

Good Luck... small town might get you though
Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
phillip72699
Cams 4 life!

Drives: 2002 Z-28 Camaro
Man if push comes to shove I would just stick the thing in the dash...no way should you put the thing on the front of the car. I have some cop friends who have said they wouldn't put it on the front either and they wouldn't give tickets to anyone who didn't....it depends on the cop you get and in a small town it's even worse....I have lived in a few so I know. When I get mine it will go right on the dash....even though I don't want it too, better than drilling holes into the front.....
phillip72699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Not been stopped but once so far and I pulled it from the glove box and threw it up on the dash before the cop got to the window (stopped for speeding...got a warning!)...so I'll keep it in the glove box for now.

If I get a warning for no plate then I'll put it on the dash...not drilling holes!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Not been stopped but once so far and I pulled it from the glove box and threw it up on the dash before the cop got to the window (stopped for speeding...got a warning!)...so I'll keep it in the glove box for now.

If I get a warning for no plate then I'll put it on the dash...not drilling holes!
Better be real careful leaning over and reaching into the glovebox for that plate. Cops might take that action as you reaching for a gun...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
2010camaro2SS
Server Enginerd

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Why not just bolt the other one on the back of the car? Hah.. does the law actually state it has to be in the front of the car, or just that there has to be two license plates displayed on the vehicle? I know a friend of mine got off a ticket because of that in a different state.
2010camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Better be real careful leaning over and reaching into the glovebox for that plate. Cops might take that action as you reaching for a gun...
Ah...never thought of that! Lucky the cop who did stop me was coming at me and turned around...I reached for it after he passed me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010camaro1LT View Post
Why not just bolt the other one on the back of the car? Hah.. does the law actually state it has to be in the front of the car, or just that there has to be two license plates displayed on the vehicle? I know a friend of mine got off a ticket because of that in a different state.
Actually yes...most forward part of car must have the tag...meaning the bumper! But I've seen so many cars with it in the dash that maybe I'll just leave it there...since leaning over could turn bad quickly!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Disc Golfer

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip72699 View Post
Man if push comes to shove I would just stick the thing in the dash...no way should you put the thing on the front of the car. I have some cop friends who have said they wouldn't put it on the front either and they wouldn't give tickets to anyone who didn't....it depends on the cop you get and in a small town it's even worse....I have lived in a few so I know. When I get mine it will go right on the dash....even though I don't want it too, better than drilling holes into the front.....
Small town is the problem. Less than 3000 people. Chief told me the car stands out way to much to not do it. He is right. While he writing my warning ticket at the gas station two chicks came over to check it out. Didn't tell my wife that part.....

2LT/RS Cyber Gray with White Stripes - Auto

Disc Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
LS/V6

Drives: 2SS\RS 1LE
Yea i got pulled over for no front plate in my bros chally lol and the plate was on the dash. He just gave me a written warning. But also it was a state trooper. He said he never saw the plate on the dash.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
tfworld

Drives: funding
That law was going to be reviewed by the state legislation this past session... but I dont think it ever got voted on. Stupid law imho...
tfworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I was going to wait to post what I did for my front plate until I had it all painted black but here it is. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

I made 2 brackets that mount to the center cross-bar of the lower grille. I used four 2" mending plates with longer 3" bolts through the top holes and shorter 2" bolts through the bottom holes of the plates. I put a 1" plastic spacer on the bolts between the plates to kind of center the brackets on the cross-bar. On the longer bolts, I put a 3/4" coupling nut on the end and then used 1/2" bolts to screw through the plate into the coupling nuts to hold the plate on. The top bolts are inserted from the back and face outward. The lower bolts are inserted from the front and face towards the radiator. The lower bolts are held in place with a wing nut so I can remove those and take the entire bracket off when I want to.

I still need to adjust it a bit because it is still a bit more angled than I want and sits a bit too far away from the lower lip of the fascia for my tastes. After about 1000 miles, it seems to be holding up well without doing any damage to the grille or fascia.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!

Drives: Awesome
I'll take a ticket, multiple tickets, before I drill holes in the front of my car. If I have problems it's going in the windshield. I had my front plate in the windshield of my silverado for 2 years and never had a problem. Knock on wood I don't have any problems with my Camaro.
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
phillip72699
Cams 4 life!

Drives: 2002 Z-28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golfer View Post
Small town is the problem. Less than 3000 people. Chief told me the car stands out way to much to not do it. He is right. While he writing my warning ticket at the gas station two chicks came over to check it out. Didn't tell my wife that part.....
Less than 3,000 people huh? Yea that sounds about right I lived in a town with just as many. LOL were the chicks hot?
phillip72699 is offline   Reply With Quote