Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace really does stiffen the Gen5 chassis

I always felt that the Camaro's chassis could be stronger, so I ordered the Hotchkis Max Chassis brace from Maryland Speed and installed it. Very smooth install even lying on your back. The brace is very light weight and easy to handle.

As I drove out of my back driveway, I could immediately feel the increased rigidity in the car's chassis. My driveway is elevated above the alley and the car has to travel over a decline, into a dip created by the rain runoff channel before all four tires are on the alley's main paved roadway. The car also has to back into the alley at about a 45° angle. This places a lot of flex on the chassis as each wheel transitions on and off the different elevations.

Before the brace, either of the front coilover springs (depending on which way I back out of into the alley) would bind and unbind causing a slight twang sound as my Camaro drove out of the alley. This noise was consistent and I always went slowly to avoid binding the springs too much.

The first time I backed out of the driveway with the brace on, I could feel the car flex much less and the spring noise did not occur. I haven't had that noise now since I got the brace.

On the road, the car ride is stiffer. As the car goes over road irregularities, the chassis responds as if it was a washboard with much less give. The suspension is working harder now for sure.

One note of caution if you autocross your car and have the complete Max Brace installed. You cannot run E-SP (street prepared) class since SCCA rules do not allow tying the left and right sides of the car chassis together unless you are using the factory tunnel brace (which also cannot be modified). To make my Camaro class legal, I have to race with the Hotchkis cross brace removed. Also, the Gen5 Camaro SS defaults into E-SP class right away (bone stock). It is not allowed in stock class.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
slotwheels

Drives: like a bat out of hell
I was thinking about getting the Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace . How much stiffer or harder is the ride compared to stock?
slotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The ride won't be harder, what it does is take the slop out of the rear end and make the ride more controlled. You will love how it feels, and will wonder why it did not come from the factory this way.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
slotwheels

Drives: like a bat out of hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
The ride won't be harder, what it does is take the slop out of the rear end and make the ride more controlled. You will love how it feels, and will wonder why it did not come from the factory this way.
OK, Good. This will be my next upgrade.
slotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I have been leaning towards hotchkis track pack w/ pedders bushings... the brace was a huge selling point for me.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Avalnch - Thanks for the good detailed review of our Chassis Max Brace. Now people can go in knowing a lot about driving and racing with the brace.

bkscott - Thanks for helping out with your experieces with our Brace. We've had people make the same comment about why GM didn't install a Chassis Max brace from the factory. The difference is pretty amazing.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I have been leaning towards hotchkis track pack w/ pedders bushings... the brace was a huge selling point for me.

Brantley847 – You can always install the track pack first and install the bushings later. This would give you an idea of the difference before and after.

Some journalists had a chance to drive a stock Camaro, then got to drive a Track Pack-equipped Camaro. Watch the video and see what the Motor Press Guild President had to say.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Brantley847 – You can always install the track pack first and install the bushings later. This would give you an idea of the difference before and after.

Some journalists had a chance to drive a stock Camaro, then got to drive a Track Pack-equipped Camaro. Watch the video and see what the Motor Press Guild President had to say.
Yea, that is the plan... gonna take it step by step to see what I really need, seeing as how this is a street vehicle for me.

I was planning on doing the brace alone, but might as well just wait a few more weeks and save up to do the whole package.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Hotchkis

Quote:
Yea, that is the plan... gonna take it step by step to see what I really need, seeing as how this is a street vehicle for me.

I was planning on doing the brace alone, but might as well just wait a few more weeks and save up to do the whole package.

Brantley847 – That’s a great approach. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
x2martell24

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
I am going to go with the full race pack, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are significant (noticeable) differences just because of the end links and strut brace?? I would like to only spend the 1200 and save about 700 bucks if there is truly a significant advantage in having these things on the street, I am all over it. I do very little track racing and some drag strip. thougths??
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
This brace will be a part of my suspension build. I really like how it ties into the rear suspension cradle and the rest of the chassis.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Did you go with this setup, I'm considering the exact same thing
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
Did you go with this setup, I'm considering the exact same thing
Not yet, I am still pricing everything out and I am probably going to be playing the mix and match game...

I can get Eibach springs and sways for 460... the hotchkis brace for about 400 and the Pedders Street 1 (bushings/inserts) for about 250-300... it would save me a buddle going that route.

I am just stuck between Eibach and Hotckhis. Both are cold wound, and I really do prefer Hotchkis. I will keep talking to vendors to see if they can get that package down for me and I can run Hotckhis all the way back...

I will be doing their chassis brace and their strut tower brace regardless of who I go with for springs and bushings.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Not yet, I am still pricing everything out and I am probably going to be playing the mix and match game...

I can get Eibach springs and sways for 460... the hotchkis brace for about 400 and the Pedders Street 1 (bushings/inserts) for about 250-300... it would save me a buddle going that route.

I am just stuck between Eibach and Hotckhis. Both are cold wound, and I really do prefer Hotchkis. I will keep talking to vendors to see if they can get that package down for me and I can run Hotckhis all the way back...

I will be doing their chassis brace and their strut tower brace regardless of who I go with for springs and bushings.
Same boat, it just that I noticed ppl who were mixing and matching were having various problems until they swapped of for same brand stuff. I'm just trying to see which parts work good together. Make sure you post results when you do decide
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote