Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
bnorwood1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS (Red & Manual)
V6 w/ 12k miles clutch is out?

I've had my V6 LS for about 9 or 10 months and was having someone else drive my car (first mistake) since I was drinking that night and I was riding with someone else, so this is all from people who were in my car.

Apparently the guy driving my car had been starting from 3rd gear the whole night (about 30 min to an hour in the car). He then let another friend drive, who is the one that realized it had been starting from 3rd all night. The first guy also said that while he was driving, the clutch kept sticking to the floor and had to pull it back up with his foot. (Why he kept driving it is beyond me...) He said when they got on the interstate (after the car had been parked for a few hours) they pushed the clutch in and nothing happened. The car will still go into gear when I push down the clutch but won't drive.

SO... I had it towed to the dealership and at first they thought it'd be the hydraulics in the master cylinder for the clutch... No dice... so now $350 for them to keep looking to find the problem (which will go towards fixing the problem if it's the clutch - i.e. not covered under warranty).

My question is could my clutch have burnt out by him starting in 3rd all night? Could there be more to the story (of course there can be, but is there already enough evidence of why it burnt out?)
I don't drive it aggressively.
I have had the 2nd gear grind since purchase.
Should I put another stock clutch in?
And lastly, how much is this all going to cost me?
bnorwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Why isn't it covered under warranty? That is my question! It should be!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
bnorwood1

I also want to know why! At only 9 months old and 12k miles, the clutch should NOT be going out... But they said because it was a "wearable part" it wasn't covered by warranty. The hydraulics would have been, but they say the clutch is not.

Last edited by bnorwood1; 08-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorwood1 View Post
I also want to know why! At only 9 months old and 12k miles, the clutch should NOT be going out... But they said because it was a "wearable part" it wasn't covered by warranty. They hydraulics would have been, but they say the clutch is not.
The clutches in these are total crap. They are a parts bin part from the Cadillac too. They are not made for abuse or to last, any HP over stock and they become useless.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Why isn't it covered under warranty? That is my question! It should be!!
It should be but the clutch is only covered only to a 12K defect warranty. But it should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
bnorwood1

Wait, so nak3dsnake, so are you saying I just missed it being covered by warranty? (I have 12,500 miles) or that it will still be covered. Because as of right now I'm being told I'm going to have to foot the bill... But yeah, from everything I've read these clutches are about useless... The only upgrade I have is an Injen CAI, which should put my car at around/ just under 330 HP.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Wait, so nak3dsnake, so are you saying I just missed it being covered by warranty? (I have 12,500 miles) or that it will still be covered. Because as of right now I'm being told I'm going to have to foot the bill... But yeah, from everything I've read these clutches are about useless... The only upgrade I have is an Injen CAI, which should put my car at around/ just under 330 HP.
Yeah, you just missed your warranty for wearable parts by 500 miles. GM's is only 12,000 miles. It a joke if you ask me.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
bnorwood1

Yeah, it is... And I just got off the phone with them, he said, "Well, we can't find anything wrong with anything but the clutch, so it's not going to be covered by warranty. It looks like it's been driven pretty hard. It's gonna cost you $1600 for a new clutch."
Perfect, since I just have cash laying around and all... But like I said, I don't drive that car hard... It is my only car after all and I kinda needed it to stay out of the shop so I could make it to work and stuff... Really disappointed with Chevy right now...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Yeah, it is... And I just got off the phone with them, he said, "Well, we can't find anything wrong with anything but the clutch, so it's not going to be covered by warranty. It looks like it's been driven pretty hard. It's gonna cost you $1600 for a new clutch."
Perfect, since I just have cash laying around and all... But like I said, I don't drive that car hard... It is my only car after all and I kinda needed it to stay out of the shop so I could make it to work and stuff... Really disappointed with Chevy right now...
1600 is way too much, even with install. Let me get you a part number.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
bnorwood1

Thanks man. At least this happened while I was on vacation from work, but staying at home for the week...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
bnorwood1

I found the flywheel and the pressure plate for the V6 by searching the catalog on gmpartsdirect. Total for the two before shipping was $404. But, the dealership already has me for $350 for looking at the clutch. Said it would go towards repairing it, but I doubt they meant labor... Is that all I would need though?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
nak3dsnake

Quote:
I found the flywheel and the pressure plate for the V6 by searching the catalog on gmpartsdirect. Total for the two before shipping was $404. But, the dealership already has me for $350 for looking at the clutch. Said it would go towards repairing it, but I doubt they meant labor... Is that all I would need though?
Well if there's nothing wrong with the flywheel don't replace it. The clutch is part number is 24232924. GMpartsdirect.com its $242.48 to you door. That should be all you need.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
bnorwood1

Oh ok thanks... Don't really know too much about the clutch mechanisms! But I just got off the phone with GEICO and I have mechanical breakdown coverage up to 100k miles and that covers the clutch! Said they may have to go look at it and take pictures, so we'll see. If they're still saying it "looks like it's been driven hard" then I'm scared I might not get covered. But anyway, if I am covered, a $250 deductible is all I'd have to pay. I love GEICO!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
bnorwood1

Thank you so much for your help snake. I'll update as soon as I find out what's going to happen. Hoping for the best is all I can do for now... But if GEICO decides not to cover me, I'll definitely be going the gmpartsdirect route with that part number. Thank you again.