Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Blkcamaro81

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/ 2015 GMC Acadia
Installing a whipple, any tips or suggestions?

Hi all. I'm purchasing a whipple on Friday and installing it myself. I currently have kooks 1 7/8 headers, high flow cats, CAI cold air and the race scoop. I plan on staying with the stock clutch until it goes, which I understand can be the day I get it up and running, but I've seen a few in here last a while. Fuel will stay with the BAP until I up the boost a little. Getting a dyno/street tune as well.

Two questions I do have. Do I need to buy a new elbow for my CAI intake, and can I start and drive it on the tune that comes with the whipple before I get it dt I tuned?

Thanks everyone!
Blkcamaro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
The Whipple will come with an air intake elbow that is designed to connect to the factory airbox. You might be able to re-use your CAI cold air intake, just may need a little fab work.

The tune from Whipple will be just fine for you to run around on until you get to a dyno facility. Whipple's tune is inherently safe. You should pick up some additional power after your dyno tune.

If your car doesn't already have the ZL1 fuel pump, I'd highly recommend that you look into adding this, along with a new FPCM (fuel pump control module). The BAP on the stock SS fuel pump is plenty if you only wish to go to about 550RWHP, but if you desire more, you will definitely need more fuel.

Hopefully you got a great clutch from the factory, like I did. I'm still on the stock clutch, with about 32K miles on the Whipple setup.

Post up some pics, and good luck!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Blkcamaro81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
The Whipple will come with an air intake elbow that is designed to connect to the factory airbox. You might be able to re-use your CAI cold air intake, just may need a little fab work.

The tune from Whipple will be just fine for you to run around on until you get to a dyno facility. Whipple's tune is inherently safe. You should pick up some additional power after your dyno tune.

If your car doesn't already have the ZL1 fuel pump, I'd highly recommend that you look into adding this, along with a new FPCM (fuel pump control module). The BAP on the stock SS fuel pump is plenty if you only wish to go to about 550RWHP, but if you desire more, you will definitely need more fuel.

Hopefully you got a great clutch from the factory, like I did. I'm still on the stock clutch, with about 32K miles on the Whipple setup.

Post up some pics, and good luck!

-Scott
Thanks for the input, though I'm not sure if my wife will be too happy with the additional expenses. I had just gone through your build thread doing some research and you have a great looking Camaro! I'm looking into the zl1/fpcm combo now. May as well build in for some additional power.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
FieroItaliano85

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkcamaro81 View Post
Thanks for the input, though I'm not sure if my wife will be too happy with the additional expenses. I had just gone through your build thread doing some research and you have a great looking Camaro! I'm looking into the zl1/fpcm combo now. May as well build in for some additional power.
That's why I just got rid of mine
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Batmanntexas pretty much says it all. You need to be careful with fuel. I'd definatley also recommend you upgrade to the ZL1 pump with ADM FPCM. Not sure what injectors the Whipple comes with...but you may need to go bigger there too.

I would highly recommend you look at getting the Whipple "tuner" kit and going right for some ID850's for injectors.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Blkcamaro81

Okay, convinced on the fpcm and zl1 pump from adm. I think I'll also add the boost-a-pump too for some added security. Seems to be a few people running that. I'll talk to the tuner about it Friday when I go buy the supercharger. Thanks again for the input everyone!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Strong66

Drives: 2013 SS whipple
My whipple kit came with a msd boost a pump
Strong66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I had to buy a different elbow for the CAI directly from CAI. The one that comes with the Whipple will not fit.
I believe the injectors that come with the Whipple are #64 injectors. So far they are working OK with my fuel system using the ADM FPCM and the ZL1 fuel pump on a 3.75" pulley. I did up the voltage one volt in the boost a pump. I run 69 pounds fuel pressure consistently.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Batmanntexas

The Whipple kit has 65# injectors. I'd say about 625RWHP would be safe on just the ZL1 pump and FPCM. I never ran the BAP, so I can't say what margin that will buy you. ADM is the place to go for the FPCM, and you can get the ZL1 pump from Rock Auto for about $185.

Thanks for looking at my build thread, and I appreciate the compliment. Looking forward to seeing some pics/videos and numbers!!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #10
Blkcamaro81

Just ordered the ZL1 pump and FPCM from ADM. They had a combo price of 499. I looked at rock auto, but with shipping, it was within a couple bucks of the combo price. As for the BAP, I've seen a few threads with someone using it with the zl1/fpcm, but most are with bigger injectors. Also ordered the CAI elbow to go with the whipple. Friday is the day I order the whipple kit. I'll talk to the tuner up there and ask about maybe swapping out the injectors. I saw on the whipple site they sell 80lb and 90lb injectors as well.
I would be more than happy with 625RWHP. At least to start out with. I won't be hooking up that power on the street with street tires any way.
Really appreciate the input.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
Batmanntexas

Anytime, brother. I'm still running the stock 65# injectors for what it's worth. Yeah, you can forget about hooking nay of that power on street tires.

1st gear - WORTHLESS (except for tire melting)
2nd gear - Almost WORTHLESS (forget 40MPH roll starts)
3rd gear - SHIT JUST GOT REAL!!!!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I am using ZL1 fuel pump and fpcm and a bap. With ID 850 injectors. A little under 700 rwhp at 13 psi with meth. Stock clutch lasted really Long with no dragracing. But then the throwout bearing went out and then I replaced it with a duel disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
Blkcamaro81

Glad to hear someone else on the stock clutch for a while! Though I may end up blowing it at Camarofest.
Can't wait for the 'Shit just got real feeling'!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
My stock clutch lasted for a while as well, just don't floor it at low speeds in like 4th gear and it will be fine, that's how I smoked mine.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote