Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Forza 3-Way Controller for Camaro's with Dual Mode (NPP) Exhaust Systems

The new Forza 3-Way Exhaust Controller for Camaro's with the factory NPP (aka Dual Mode) Exhaust Option is available. With the help of a fellow Camaro5 member and his Z28, I have been able to bring this 3-Way to market.

The controller provides three modes of operation for your NPP exhaust:
1. Normal Mode ... this is factory mode and the ECU controls the exhaust bypass valves.
2. Always Open ... forces bypass valves to open position at all times
3. Always Closed ... forces bypass valves to closed position at all times

Based on feedback I received from several members here on the Camaro5 Forum, I have added this controller to the Dual Mode Controller previously available. I am very pleased with the way this has turned out. I think you will agree from the attached photos that the quality is outstanding. The price is $164.50 including free shipping to US.

I have used high quality components to assure the buyer high reliability. I designed the internal printed circuit board to be task specific. The PCB is manufactured by a company specializing in RF remote control communications. The wiring harness is constructed of automotive grade cabling. It is 18AWG stranded conductors. The cabling is water and oil resistant and rated 221 deg F.

The wiring harness that is included with the kit, connects to the vacuum solenoid valve as you can see in the photos. This is true plug and play. There is no wire splicing, no wire cutting. The kit includes everything you need to install. There are installation accessories included in the kit (3M Dual Lock Mounting Strips, cable ties, etc. which are not shown in the photos).

A key feature of the Forza Controller is the ability to use either the included remote control transmitter or a manual on/off switch that you could mount in the passenger compartment (e.g., center console). This is unique to Forza. No other controller offers this.

Installation is very straight forward and can be done without jacking up the car or placing it on a lift ...

From under the car, near the right hand muffler, you attach the wiring harness to the vacuum solenoid valve ...

Here is a close up view of the two connectors on the end of the wiring harness that is included with the kit ...

Inside the trunk of the car, you must first remove the panels inside the trunk (unless you have a Z28) ... here is the view of the installed controller in the trunk ...

That's it. Pretty simple and total time to install is 1 to 2 hours.

I have posted this in other areas of the forum, but forgot to post here. I invite you to see more at the Forza website ... http://www.forzacomponenti.com/

Since announcing this a couple of weeks ago, there have been several sales and I have received some nice feedback from several members. Here is the link for some more info ... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=404314&page=2

Best regards,

Steve

Last edited by forzasteve; 06-11-2015 at 03:39 PM.
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
forzasteve

Both the 3-Way and the Dual Mode controllers are in stock and ready to ship.

If you have the NPP exhaust on your Camaro, give this a try. If you are not pleased with the product, return it within 15 days for a full refund. No questions asked ...

Steve
Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
When the car is started, does it keep the previous setting or is it in normal mode? Also, if in the Closed mode, can the valves be closed before starting the car?
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boother View Post
When the car is started, does it keep the previous setting or is it in normal mode? Also, if in the Closed mode, can the valves be closed before starting the car?
The Forza controller, and other controllers that are available in the market, utilize electro-mechanical relays for the electrical switching between the the three modes of operation. On the Camaro, electrical power is continuously supplied to the controller. As long as you do not disconnect the power from the controller module, the operation mode will always be retained. What ever setting you had when you turned the car off will the setting the next time you start the car. You can also change the setting before you start the car. Just remember that it remains until you change it again.

Now, if you should turn the power off at the controller using the master power On/Off switch, then the controller will revert to default mode which is the factory ECU mode of operation.

Keep in mind that the Forza controller is the only one with a master power On/Off switch. This switch is provided because we fully recognized that on the Camaro, any exhaust controller you connect to the rear fuse block will have continuous current drain ... it is very small, but continuous none the less. For those owners who may leave their car for an extended period without starting, e.g., three weeks or more, the master On/Off switch is included so you can isolate the controller and prevent any current drain. When the controller is turned off, your car's exhaust bypass valves will function just as if it were not installed at all ... i.e., factory mode.

All other controllers recommend installation of the module behind the panels in the trunk ... we do not ... the reason is so the controller module master on/off switch is accessible should you want to turn it off. We recommend installing the Forza controller in the spare tire / battery well where you have quick and easy access.

With other controllers, you do not have any easy means to isolate the device from the car's electrical system.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
Lostboy1987

Drives: '15 BVM 2SS/RS/1LE
Excellent question, Boother! I was wondering the same thing and now I know I will be able to be a little nicer to the neighbors when I start up in the morning.

I just placed my order, Steve. This, and that it seems like it will also program to newer homelink left me no excuse to put off ordering your controller any longer.

Lostboy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy1987 View Post
Excellent question, Boother! I was wondering the same thing and now I know I will be able to be a little nicer to the neighbors when I start up in the morning.

I just placed my order, Steve. This, and that it seems like it will also program to newer homelink left me no excuse to put off ordering your controller any longer.
Thank you, Lostboy. Your order is too late to catch today's mail, I will send out tomorrow. You should have your kit on Tuesday ... Wednesday the latest.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
Mechzl1

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Any issues that can arise from running with valves closed wide open throttle? I just put long tube headers on and am trying to find a way to cut down on the noise. Seems like a good option.
Mechzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechzl1 View Post
Any issues that can arise from running with valves closed wide open throttle? I just put long tube headers on and am trying to find a way to cut down on the noise. Seems like a good option.
Hi Mechzl1,

In theory, if you run WOT with the valves closed, your peak HP will be less than if the valves were open. The theory being that you will have a bit more back pressure which is undesirable at high engine RPM. Note, at low engine RPM, back pressure is desirable as it improves the exhaust scavenging effect which improves torque at lower engine RPM.

That is the theory ... in practice, if there is any diminished HP it is likely to very small ... like maybe 2 HP or so, less than 0.5%. Why? because the lads at Chevrolet designed the exhaust system with noise abatement as the primary concern. This is true with nearly all dual mode exhaust systems ... don't care if it is Camaro or Ferrari. Noise abatement is the key reason they offer the option so you can have loud at higher engine RPM when you are likely away from population centers and soft at lower engine RPM when you more likely to be near population centers.

You would have to put the car on a dyno and run a full test to determine if there is any difference.

There is no known detrimental effect of running high engine RPM with the exhaust bypass valves closed. One might argue that in a racing car with finely tuned engines, that too high back pressure might cause the engine's exhaust valves to overheat ... but you are not running 10,000 RPM and your exhaust system is designed to work with your engine with the valves open or closed. So, IMO ... there is no worries at all.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Very interested in this. I currently have my NPP fuse pulled, because I love the sound of the exhaust, but I'm installing LT headers with catless connectors sometime this year, plus I do notice a little low end tq that is gone when the flaps are open all the time.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL W0N View Post
Very interested in this. I currently have my NPP fuse pulled, because I love the sound of the exhaust, but I'm installing LT headers with catless connectors sometime this year, plus I do notice a little low end tq that is gone when the flaps are open all the time.
When install those headers you will likely notice louder exhaust sound. If you the go cat less, the sound volume will increase again.

In theory, your low RPM torque would be less with an exhaust that does not have optimum back-pressure, I.e., valves open. If you ever a chance, would be very interested if you had the car dyno'd.

Steve
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Before I Dyno the car and install all my parts, I'm going to get this controller. That way I can Dyno the car before and after with valves open and valves closed to see if there's a difference in performance. I think that would help a lot of people's decisions.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 PM   #12
bisel
Banned

Drives: blue
Quote:
Before I Dyno the car and install all my parts, I'm going to get this controller. That way I can Dyno the car before and after with valves open and valves closed to see if there's a difference in performance. I think that would help a lot of people's decisions.
Hi ZL,

Just to add ... assuming that Chevrolet designed an optimum exhaust system, the best thing would be to let the car open and close the valves. Since they are closed at low RPM and open at high RPM, if they engineered the exhaust system correctly, the closure of the valves at low RPM should enhance the torque and the opening of the valves at the other end of RPM range should enhance the power.

I have never learned of anyone to dyno their car to see what the curves would look like with the valves closed throughout the range and open throughout the range. It is a very interesting experiment.

The Corvette C7 has exhaust bypass valves, but they are electrically controlled and not vacuum actuated. I believe, but not sure, that the Corvette's valves are variable ... i.e., more than just open or closed. If I am not mistaken, the Corvette specs state that with their NPP exhaust option, the car generates about 5 HP more than without the NPP. But, the Camaro does not specify. Perhaps with the Gen6 Camaro, they will since the NPP exhaust in the 2016 Camaro is more like the Corvette C7 (I think).

Steve
bisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisel View Post
Hi ZL,

Just to add ... assuming that Chevrolet designed an optimum exhaust system, the best thing would be to let the car open and close the valves. Since they are closed at low RPM and open at high RPM, if they engineered the exhaust system correctly, the closure of the valves at low RPM should enhance the torque and the opening of the valves at the other end of RPM range should enhance the power.

I have never learned of anyone to dyno their car to see what the curves would look like with the valves closed throughout the range and open throughout the range. It is a very interesting experiment.

The Corvette C7 has exhaust bypass valves, but they are electrically controlled and not vacuum actuated. I believe, but not sure, that the Corvette's valves are variable ... i.e., more than just open or closed. If I am not mistaken, the Corvette specs state that with their NPP exhaust option, the car generates about 5 HP more than without the NPP. But, the Camaro does not specify. Perhaps with the Gen6 Camaro, they will since the NPP exhaust in the 2016 Camaro is more like the Corvette C7 (I think).

Steve
Yes, you are correct.

Referring to the dyno testing, since this is one of the only exhaust controllers that has 3 different modes, one being fully closed the entire time, some people may want to know if there is any disadvantage to having them closed all the time. There are many owners that have headers and different performance modifications that don't want to sound like a racecar. Maybe when they WOT, they don't want it to sound like a Nascar race just started. I think it would be cool to test it out to see what it's like to have the valves closed all the time. I believe the best performing setting will be the factory setting since it allows for optimum low end torque as well as high end horsepower, but I'm interested to see how the other settings turn out.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
bisel
Banned

Drives: blue
I totally agree with you.

The feedback I have had about the always closed option is that users wanted it to quiet the car down when initially starting the car or when high speed highway cruising. And, for those who track the car, to gain acceptance by the noise sheriffs at the local track. Some people also wanted to make sure the car was quiet when they were driving slowly in their residential neighborhoods ... some people told me they were getting complaints from neighbors, especially if they had put on headers or less restrictive cats.

In my opinion, and I have done a lot of research on this, there is absolutely no detrimental consequence of using the Always Closed option.

Love to learn what your results are. I expect after the mods you have made this topic is of considerable interest to you as well.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Yes, you are correct.

Referring to the dyno testing, since this is one of the only exhaust controllers that has 3 different modes, one being fully closed the entire time, some people may want to know if there is any disadvantage to having them closed all the time. There are many owners that have headers and different performance modifications that don't want to sound like a racecar. Maybe when they WOT, they don't want it to sound like a Nascar race just started. I think it would be cool to test it out to see what it's like to have the valves closed all the time. I believe the best performing setting will be the factory setting since it allows for optimum low end torque as well as high end horsepower, but I'm interested to see how the other settings turn out.
bisel is offline   Reply With Quote