Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
lyjo

Drives: 2SS - RS - M6
HELP - m6 Clutch .. Whats the real fix.

Need advise..
Can anybody tell me what I can replace to fix the launch issue?
(stock other than cat back exhaust)

The story if interested:
clutch sticks on aggresive starts..
.. dealer replace pedal assembly...
now I have a vibration in the pedal (feels like something grinding at the end of the release)...dealer says it's normal.. contacted GM help line..
got a ticket opened..

GM rep - after talking with your dealer we feel the car is performing as designed....
ME - so its designed to kill me if I try pull into traffic and the pedal sticks to the floor and I get t-boned...
GM rep -..................... ok

Any and all adive appreciated. (trying to get ready for CamaroFest)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
McLeod RXT or RPS Street Slayer twin disc.....sorry, its what needs to be done if you drive this car the way it was meant to be driven....thank GM
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
hit up Hendrix Engineering for a street slayer clutch.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjo View Post
Need advise..
(stock other than cat back exhaust)

The story if interested:
clutch sticks on aggresive starts..
.. dealer replace pedal assembly...
now I have a vibration in the pedal (feels like something grinding at the end of the release)...dealer says it's normal.. contacted GM help line..
got a ticket opened..

GM rep - after talking with your dealer we feel the car is performing as designed....
ME - so its designed to kill me if I try pull into traffic and the pedal sticks to the floor and I get t-boned...
GM rep -..................... ok

Any and all adive appreciated. (trying to get ready for CamaroFest)
lyjo,

At stock power levels, I need to ask a couple of questions...

When was the last time the clutch was bled...
What does the fluid in the reservoir look like...
Do you have the separate reservoir.....

The clutch and the brakes are on the same res...

There have been a lot of people with this problem that went to a separate reservoir and bled the fluid.

If it hasn't been done yet, I would look for a remote res, and a remote bleeder hose. This makes it much easier to bleed the clutch on a regular basis.

I would try these before going for a whole new clutch... provided, the clutch isn't slipping... I can't imagine why the pedal assembly install would make a different feel, but I guess it's possible...

Have you considered a different dealership to see what they come up with...

Good Luck

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
My car is a v6 but I had a similar issue where if I had it revved up for some power the pedal would stick about half way. I took it to the dealer last week and they replaced the clutch pedal and so far I haven't had any issues and the clutch felt really loose at first. It didn't do it really often before so I'm a little worried based on your post but we shall see.
Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
They are probably installing the ZL1 clutch pedal because it has a better return spring to bring the pedal back.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
lyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
lyjo,

At stock power levels, I need to ask a couple of questions...

When was the last time the clutch was bled...
What does the fluid in the reservoir look like...
Do you have the separate reservoir.....

The clutch and the brakes are on the same res...

There have been a lot of people with this problem that went to a separate reservoir and bled the fluid.

If it hasn't been done yet, I would look for a remote res, and a remote bleeder hose. This makes it much easier to bleed the clutch on a regular basis.

I would try these before going for a whole new clutch... provided, the clutch isn't slipping... I can't imagine why the pedal assembly install would make a different feel, but I guess it's possible...

Have you considered a different dealership to see what they come up with...

Good Luck
I started regular changes of the clutch fluid after research over a year ago and finding it could fix the issue..
Prior to start of regular changes fluid was dark like coffee..
now never darker than weak tea..

Vibration is felt at two times.. end of release on acceleration
and start of push to shift gears..you can also feel the vibration lightly pushing the clutch while driving..

This is my daily driver and there was no vibration prior to pedal change.

I Wanted open topic with GM before going to different dealer..
But I think I will get a different dealers opinion.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
lyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
They are probably installing the ZL1 clutch pedal because it has a better return spring to bring the pedal back.
feel on the new pedal is exactly like the old..

I'l be trying to stick the pedal soon no purpose.. but more worred about my new found vibration .... I think the bearing is going bad now ?? just a thought ?? but never felt any vibration before.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
4l80
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
There is a guy selling better master cylinders. Also fluid change is very important
Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Get a clutch return spring from Lingerfelter.

Often caused by bubbles in the line. Try pumping the clutch 15 or 20 times next time it happens to bleed the line and slave cylinder. It is self bleeding.

Some problems caused by wrong clutch sleeve. GM knows this. Sooner or later it will probably start leaking and you will have to replace the slave cylinder. $1,100.00 for non-warranty work. Ask me how I know.

GM denies warranty for practically any add on parts. It is Bull. I just sued them under Mangusen Moss and they paid all expenses plus $750.00 attorney fees to settle.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My camaro is going into the dealer after I smoked the hell of out of the clutch when the pedal stuck down. They are replacing the clutch and the pedal assembly. But if this isn't going to fix the problem then maybe I should just have a street slayer clutch installed. I want to fix it right and fix it the first time. My clutch fluid is clean and when it stuck on me it was a cool day after only mild driving before hand. I don't think remote resiviors or return springs are the problem as its never given me problems on even the hottest of days.

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
jamie

Drives: 2011 cyber gray 1LT
i just got mine back from the dealer two weeks ago doing the exact same thing.

New clutch pedal assembly as you have, but it continued to stick halfway up and the dealer's tech smoked the clutch coming back from the test drive (Had to be towed back). Needless to say trans had to come out. Clutch, 2 gears, syncros all replaced. Plus they filled it with synthetic gear oil when they put it back together. They had the car 16 days. Feels like a completely different car now...

Push your dealer on this... The car has a warranty and GM should honor it...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this did the trick.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
lyjo

FINAL RESPONSE FROM GM (via 2nd dealer):
Yes you have a vibration in your clutch pedal but Your NON oem Exhaust (Flowmaster) is causing the clutch pedal vibration...

and Direct Response from Customer Service Rep:

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, it sounds like it is an aftermarket exhaust system to increase performance. Some aftermarket engine performance products and modifications promise a way to increase the horsepower and torque levels of a vehicle's powertrain. The products may have detrimental effects on the performance and life of the engine, exhaust, emission system, transmission, and drivetrain. Engine power enhancement products may enable the engine to operate at horsepower and torque levels that could damage, create failure, or reduce the life of the engine, engine emission system, transmission and drivetrain.

Damage, failure, or reduced life of the engine, transmission emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications cannot be covered under the vehicle warranty or GMPP plan.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.