Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Automatic Transmission concern...

I don't remember where I read it, but I could swear that I read somewhere the 'maro gets a 6 speed auto.

Lets just assume it does, and lets just assume it ends up being the same auto that is in the G8 GT.

Well, here's the concern, I check up on the G8 forums every now and then to see how people like the zeta platform, and check up on the L76 (in case we end up with that under the hood...). Anyway, onto the point, a few guys over there have complained about the shift speed in sport mode, and driver controlled mode, they say its rather slow... any chance this will be sped up a bit on our cars?
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm almost positive it will. The automatic mustangs slugish shift issue was adressed with the performance tune. And if not, Im sure a company like level 10 could hook you up. Furthermore, this is the same auto thats in the corvette and I don't think they are having problems with it?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It is the same Transmission as the 'Vette: The Hydramatic 6L80.

The early auto Corvettes had a sluggish shift time, I guess, when using the paddles. You'd have to shift anywhere from 500 to 700 rpms early so that you wouldn't hit the redline, have the fuel cut-off kick in, and generally kill your times.

'08 they fixed that, and the magazine testers reported a noticeable "crispness" to the auto that wasn't there in the LS2 'Vettes. In the LS3 Corvette, 0-60 times differ between the two trannys in that the Manual is only .1 seconds faster to 60 mph than the Automatic. I don't know about you...but I think that's impressive.

Of course, I don't belong to any G8 sites, nor do I know anybody who has one, but I haven't heard of this issue before now. This could, of course, be people who've driven Manuals all their lives, or people who will try and find a problem with everything....OR it could be a legitimate problem. I don't think GM would skimp on anything with the Camaro, though.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
You're probly right, most likely the same people that were crying because there was no manual in the G8.

I'm not too worried, I know GM will do us right
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Back in the old days...when i had a First Gen car, you could purchase a relatively inexpensive item called a "Shift-Kit" that essentially consisted of a thin sheet of metal that you placed between the valve body of the tranny and the base. If I recall, you also removed some small bearings. The end result was much quicker shifting and in fact you could chirp the tires when you hit second gear. Which was always really cool to do in an automatic.

Does anyone know if these types of upgrades are available on today's automatics?

Ron
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Back in the old days...when i had a First Gen car, you could purchase a relatively inexpensive item called a "Shift-Kit" that essentially consisted of a thin sheet of metal that you placed between the valve body of the tranny and the base. If I recall, you also removed some small bearings. The end result was much quicker shifting and in fact you could chirp the tires when you hit second gear. Which was always really cool to do in an automatic.

Does anyone know if these types of upgrades are available on today's automatics?

Ron
oh yeah, they are still available. also with most transmissions being computer controlled, you can hook up a programmer and adjust your shift points and the line pressure, which will give you a more noticable "kick"

some people who have 4th gen t/a's have a "performance mode" shift button on the center console that firms up the shifting points. as for the shift kits today, they do the same thing they did back in the day, they reroute the fluid going thru the tranny.

if anyone has ever pulled the pan off an auto and looked at the maze underneath its a wonder how it all works. but the shift kit plates allow fluid thru certain passages as well as some having upgraded springs and solenoids so you can choose your level of performance
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Wait, by sport mode do we mean a more aggressive automatic mode or manual shifting? I usually refer to the first as "sport mode" and the second as "manual mode" but it seems that we're using them interchangeably here. Manual modes on true automatics are generally pretty slow, but "sport" mode should be pretty fast.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
sport mode meaning manual shifting, or sometimes called something like "manu-matic" i think.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sport mode can mean a couple of things, really...

The Automatics GM now uses ('cept the 4 speed) all have (in some form or another) a "P", "R", "N", "D", and "S" mode.

When in "D" it's acts as your normal Automatic. In "S" mode (Sport/Performace), the more advanced tranny's learn your driving technique, and adapt to know when to shift, and when not to. For instance, when you let off the gas to go around a corner? It won't shift into OD. Also in "S" mode, you can press the paddles, tap the shifter, etc to change gears. From the first tap/pull/push, the shifting from then on is driver controlled. To end this feature, you need to shift back into "D".

This is how I understand it works in the Corvette.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
In "S" mode (Sport/Performace), the more advanced tranny's learn your driving technique, and adapt to know when to shift, and when not to.
"Sport" mode in most trannies, AFAIK, isn't any more driver-adapted, just more aggressively programmed. "Tow/haul" mode in my GM truck is approximately the same, I believe; higher shift points, less likely to shift into OD, and less upshifting when coasting. It sure makes my truck more responsive and better in congested traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
if anyone has ever pulled the pan off an auto and looked at the maze underneath its a wonder how it all works.

1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sport mode can mean a couple of things, really...

The Automatics GM now uses ('cept the 4 speed) all have (in some form or another) a "P", "R", "N", "D", and "S" mode.

When in "D" it's acts as your normal Automatic. In "S" mode (Sport/Performace), the more advanced tranny's learn your driving technique, and adapt to know when to shift, and when not to. For instance, when you let off the gas to go around a corner? It won't shift into OD. Also in "S" mode, you can press the paddles, tap the shifter, etc to change gears. From the first tap/pull/push, the shifting from then on is driver controlled. To end this feature, you need to shift back into "D".

This is how I understand it works in the Corvette.
From what I've read the G8's auto has three modes.

D: just what you think it is.

Sport: A more aggressive, fully automatic mode that you access by moving the shifter over to the right into the manual mode area but don't tap up or down.

Manual: In this mode the transmission will not upshift itself, it'll just bounce off the rev limiter until you notice. I think it will automatically downshift to 2nd at a stop. It might downshift earlier if the alternative is to lug and stall (uphill at 20mph in 6th). It will also refuse to downshift if that would push the engine over the redline.

I think that GM will try to make the feel Camaro sportier than the G8. So the Camaro’s A6 will probably get a more aggressive tune, more like the Corvette’s.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Wait, by sport mode do we mean a more aggressive automatic mode or manual shifting? I usually refer to the first as "sport mode" and the second as "manual mode" but it seems that we're using them interchangeably here. Manual modes on true automatics are generally pretty slow, but "sport" mode should be pretty fast.
more agressive automatic shifting. it firms up the line pressure to deliver harder shifts. the thing is with "manual mode" on autos is that you can down shift and whatnot or start in a lower gear and hold it there longer before shifting up. but unless your tranny is built stronger than stock it will wear and tear on it. the only way to have a true manu-matic is by installing a manual valve body in your auto so that you have to shift up when driving, no more just putting it in OD and rolling as if you put it in OD, you wont start in 1st and go thru the gears on its own, it will be in 4th gear when you take off.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
the only way to have a true manu-matic is by installing a manual valve body[...]
There are decent automated manuals which may count as "manu-matic" by your standard too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_gearbox
They're pretty impressive technology.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

and those of you who want paddle shifters for your gm transmission

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...th-f1-paddles/

1500 bucks aint a bad price to get paddle shifting. however 4l60e owners will need to purchase an additional control harness to plug into the computer as after 94 our trannys were computer controlled

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: