Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #1415
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok.

So I'm saddled with a choice here.

You've seen my video (and if not, I put it below) and so the lifter problem is actually perfect timing. The car was going to Vengeance anyway.

I have to decide wether or not to do just the lifters or lifters and cam.

I'm not really fond of the price (it's a fair price i guess, just wasn't prepared) but I wonder how much difference it would be. If I did a just lifters this week and a cam next week, I wonder if there would be any difference in doing them both at the same time?

The surge/miss problem still has to be ironed out anyway. I'm guessing MAF sensor. But that is just a guess. Not sure it would matter at idle.

So, I get a cam. And some DTs and show up at SGMP for Pony wars with some DRs.....

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #1416
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That sux :(

You pulled the compressor and changed intake gaskets and still no joy on the surge?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1417
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
IMO- If the lifters are bad and from what I have heard about the VVT, AFM lifters they are junk it would come down to a financial decision. By that I mean the cost benefit of have your car fixed once and for all.

If they do the lifters and not the cam then you will be paying twice for some things like fluids, plugs and other shop items. Plus you will have the piece of mind of knowing it is FIXED.

I know you are wanting to do the cam yourself and I think you could do it, but with that you will have to do the valvetrain as well. New springs, Trunion up grade etc..... and I may be wrong but unless you have a special tool to take the springs off the valves that are closest to the firewall it becomes a bear to get them off since there is no room. Of course after the cam you will need a re-tune, which I know they will take care of but the pain of having to have it re-done and waiting etc....

I guess what I am really trying to say is don't be penny wise and pound foolish. They will have your car trying to figure out the surge problem anyway, if the lifters are bad and they have to go in and fix them the logical thing is to do the cam at the same time. While I understand Money is a factor, I think it would be wise to have it all done at once.

Once they fix your car, have gone throught it front to rear and make sure it is running right I really don't think you will have any issues.

I took my car to them and it would not hardly stay running, you know why, and they Fixed it, I had a slight issue later on and Ron picked up my car, found the problem and Fixed it for the final time. I only had to pay the 42.00 for the rocker arm and rocker tray, even though I offered to pay for the diagnosing Ron refused stating it should have been caught the first time.

I know I sing the praises of Vengeance alot on here, BUT they truly have taking great care of me and my car and ALWAYS make things right no matter what, on my car.

Personally I just hope it is some stupid little thing that fixes both problems. I guess I am always nervous about catastrophic failure especially since I have modded mine and realize that this is way over my head. BUT oh how it runs and sounds when they got it fixed.

Cut outs are awesome as you have heard mine in person, but that can always be done later. The problem both you and I have is that no one locally can take care of our cars or really has a clue about modding them and forces us to go long distances to have work done on them.

I know you will make the right decision about the cam etc.... just wanted to throw my .02 in there.

When are they picking it up?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #1418
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
^^^

*not quoting the previous post because I don't want to add a lengthy duplicate of what is one post above me*
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #1419
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Vengeance Racing did an LS3 conversion and 3-bolt mild blower cam for me because it is a daily driver 365 days a year.

Baseline: 325 RWHP/339 RWTQ
Post Mods: 525 RWHP/490 RWTQ

If you choose to go with just new lifters, go ahead and replace the pushrods and get some dual springs, for a nice matching set while the heads are off. The VVT cam is not a bad cam.

Definitely replace the head gaskets, lifter trays and head bolts.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #1420
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
That sux :(

You pulled the compressor and changed intake gaskets and still no joy on the surge?
Yup, pulled the blower for a third time. I had blocked all vacuum lines off AT the blower, so it only left the gaskets or the blower it's self as points of leakage. Still no change. Plus, I sprayed the blower down on the pressure test AND the smoke test revealed nothing. But I'm still not sure it's not header leak?

*Looks around for GTAHVIT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
IMO- If the lifters are bad and from what I have heard about the VVT, AFM lifters they are junk it would come down to a financial decision. By that I mean the cost benefit of have your car fixed once and for all.

If they do the lifters and not the cam then you will be paying twice for some things like fluids, plugs and other shop items. Plus you will have the piece of mind of knowing it is FIXED.

I know you are wanting to do the cam yourself and I think you could do it, but with that you will have to do the valvetrain as well. New springs, Trunion up grade etc..... and I may be wrong but unless you have a special tool to take the springs off the valves that are closest to the firewall it becomes a bear to get them off since there is no room. Of course after the cam you will need a re-tune, which I know they will take care of but the pain of having to have it re-done and waiting etc....

I guess what I am really trying to say is don't be penny wise and pound foolish. They will have your car trying to figure out the surge problem anyway, if the lifters are bad and they have to go in and fix them the logical thing is to do the cam at the same time. While I understand Money is a factor, I think it would be wise to have it all done at once.

Once they fix your car, have gone throught it front to rear and make sure it is running right I really don't think you will have any issues.

I took my car to them and it would not hardly stay running, you know why, and they Fixed it, I had a slight issue later on and Ron picked up my car, found the problem and Fixed it for the final time. I only had to pay the 42.00 for the rocker arm and rocker tray, even though I offered to pay for the diagnosing Ron refused stating it should have been caught the first time.

I know I sing the praises of Vengeance alot on here, BUT they truly have taking great care of me and my car and ALWAYS make things right no matter what, on my car.

Personally I just hope it is some stupid little thing that fixes both problems. I guess I am always nervous about catastrophic failure especially since I have modded mine and realize that this is way over my head. BUT oh how it runs and sounds when they got it fixed.

Cut outs are awesome as you have heard mine in person, but that can always be done later. The problem both you and I have is that no one locally can take care of our cars or really has a clue about modding them and forces us to go long distances to have work done on them.

I know you will make the right decision about the cam etc.... just wanted to throw my .02 in there.

When are they picking it up?
I agree with all of this. I should have just left it then. BUT, then I'd still have to deal with the new problem of the lifter tic. There was NONE until after Atlanta.

Ron PMed me and said he'd let me know today or tomorrow. Something tells me I'm going to be without my car for a while. They stay pretty busy up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post
Vengeance Racing did an LS3 conversion and 3-bolt mild blower cam for me because it is a daily driver 365 days a year.

Baseline: 325 RWHP/339 RWTQ
Post Mods: 525 RWHP/490 RWTQ

If you choose to go with just new lifters, go ahead and replace the pushrods and get some dual springs, for a nice matching set while the heads are off. The VVT cam is not a bad cam.

Definitely replace the head gaskets, lifter trays and head bolts.
They would do the whole thing I believe. I still have to talk to Ron.

Last edited by PQ; 06-15-2011 at 01:16 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #1421
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #1422
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I agree with all of this. I should have just left it then. BUT, then I'd still have to deal with the new problem of the lifter tic. There was NONE until after Atlanta.

Ron PMed me and said he'd let me know today or tomorrow. Something tells me I'm going to be without my car for a while. They stay pretty busy up there.
No worries my friend, I am sure it will all be taken care of. I figure a week or two and they should have you fixed up depending on what is wrong with it, but that is simply a guess.

The positive side of it is that when you get it back it will be 100% A OK, Ron will make sure of that, I feel confident in saying.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #1423
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
No worries my friend, I am sure it will all be taken care of. I figure a week or two and they should have you fixed up depending on what is wrong with it, but that is simply a guess.

The positive side of it is that when you get it back it will be 100% A OK, Ron will make sure of that, I feel confident in saying.
Ok. So what kind of waranty will I have with them? Any? Just labor?

Are your cut-outs done?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #1424
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Don't know what you and Chris yakked about, but loose header can cause a ticking sound... Don't know about it causing a surge. You're certain the tic is lifter?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #1425
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Don't know what you and Chris yakked about, but loose header can cause a ticking sound... Don't know about it causing a surge. You're certain the tic is lifter?
Not certain. My neighbor actually said header leak this morning.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #1426
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok. So what kind of waranty will I have with them? Any? Just labor?

Are your cut-outs done?
You know I have never asked that question, but I am sure it is a standard race shop warranty whatever that means.

I know I have had the one issue with the ricker arm and rocker tray and they took care of it for me. I had to make them take the money for the parts ( 42.00) but I guess mine is different cause I don't track mine, more of a crusier and not a DD, I only have 9000 niles on it and I got it 7/1/09 I know, Ron fusses at me and tells me to DRIVE IT like I stolt It.

Tick Tick Tick, NOW I remember, I had this ticking noise when I initially had mine worked on by the shop in Alabama, everyone told me it was just valvetrain noise, well one Ron got the rocker arma nd rocker tray thing took care of I had no more ticking. Just a thought.

I am sure they will look at all this when they take care of your car.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #1427
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
but I am sure it is a standard race shop warranty whatever that means.
well.. from a guy that has been to a few different raceshops...

let me tell you.. you better ask... and even if you do..... some shops... wont mention names any more... will not honor it. Make sure to get warranty stuff in writing... specially when it comes to high hp motors
Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #1428
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
well.. from a guy that has been to a few different raceshops...

let me tell you.. you better ask... and even if you do..... some shops... wont mention names any more... will not honor it. Make sure to get warranty stuff in writing... specially when it comes to high hp motors
I feel you Kyle, mine was done at Vengeance and they take care of me but then again I do not race it.

I was impressed when I did my mods that Ron suggested that I change the oil pump because in his words " They are junk" so I did. Then 3 months later the TSB came out, Whew glad I listened to him.

I know my engine is not Bullet Proof and if something breaks it is on me, but Vengeance is real good about listening and answering any questions I have when I " Hear " a noise that I do not recognize. The funny thing about it is they run it harder than I do when I take it in.

As Ron always tells me " Boy Drive it like you stolt it"

I was so concerned about blowing it up that he actually waited to dyno it until I got their to pick it up. He raised the rev limiter to around 7400 rpms to show me what it would do, show me I wouldn't blow it up by driving it and actually made four different runs at 7400 rpms. Of course they lowered the rev limiter back down to 6200 before I left. Made me feel alot more comfortable about what I had done to my car.

Hopefully I do not have any defective internal parts but I guess time will tell that story, but if for some reason it does tear up Ron will get to do his magic and build me another one.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle