Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #743
StentS

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
I purchased the MGP Caliper Covers for my 45th. When I got them, they did not work. The standard SS wheel has much more clearance than the 45th's wheel. The center hub (where lugs go through) is larger on the 45th wheel. The cover was digging into the rim.

I sent them back and they tried to cut a arch out of the center of the cover. This helped that clearance issue, but then the distance from the caliper to the spoke is very narrow. They say you need 2 quarters width of room and this wheel leaves about 3. However, the Brembo is not exactly parallel to the spokes, so they started rubbing. The vibration nocked it off of the caliper and it scratched the hell out of the inside of my wheel.

MGP said I must have installed it wrong. They had sent their "New" style clips, and to be honest they did not fit well, but I did get them seated. It scratched the Brembo while trying to seat the clips. I have these covers on my 2011 RS and they are great and I have installed them successfully before. They just do not fit the 45th.

I still have the full set in my garage. I have asked MGP to try to send me another set, they have never done so. I have asked twice for a refund, they have not provided it.

I will also say that MGP sold me a set for my 2007 Saab Aero, and they did not fit out of the box. They never refunded me that money either. I have given them over $500 for custom covers that did not work, and they do not stand behind their product. I would NEVER recommend them again.

Pitty, the ones on my RS help keep the wheel very clean and I would love them on my 45th, but they just stopped responding. AVOID them.
Thanks for the response... I am sorry you had an issue with MGP.. I measured like they said and it sure does look like enough room for them to fit. There is almost a 1/4" clearance. They also said they sell 3mm spacers (about 1/8") that should fix any clearance issues. I dont like using spacers, but that thickness should be a non issue.
I am still on the fence about them. I want the red calipers but I just don't think painting them is going to get me the look I want.
Has anyone else here painted the calipers instead of the covers?

Thanks,
Vince

StentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #744
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by StentS View Post
Thanks for the response... I am sorry you had an issue with MGP.. I measured like they said and it sure does look like enough room for them to fit. There is almost a 1/4" clearance. They also said they sell 3mm spacers (about 1/8") that should fix any clearance issues. I dont like using spacers, but that thickness should be a non issue.
I am still on the fence about them. I want the red calipers but I just don't think painting them is going to get me the look I want.
Has anyone else here painted the calipers instead of the covers?

Thanks,
Vince
The big issue is not the space from the caliper to the rim in thickness. The issue is how much metal there is along the straight bottom of the clipper cover. As you can see, they attempted to cut an arch then used touch up paint. It did not look great, but I was willing to try. When I got it on, the inside of the wheel then started rubbing the edge as in photo two. But without that custom arch cut, it would not even mount at all.

You can also see where the bracket then bent as it was banging around the inside of my wheel.

BTW... I want the same look you do and love the cover idea. It just does not work with the stock wheel. If I could take my car to California and let them work it out I would.
Attached Images

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #745
StentS

Have you sent these photos to MGP? When I spoke to them on the phone they swore the covers would fit perfectly and they have installed them on the 45th without problems. Now I am beginning not to trust MGP....

Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #746
11BEE
11 BEE

Quote:
Have you sent these photos to MGP? When I spoke to them on the phone they swore the covers would fit perfectly and they have installed them on the 45th without problems. Now I am beginning not to trust MGP....
Yes I have. We have shipped back and forth and they were supposed to send me a new set after the last photos. Those included all the damage and the clearance. Maybe they used those to come up with a new design, but they have not contacted me since October. I just emailed them again this morning. Thanks for brining it back to the top of my task list. I will let you know if they respond.

I think I was lost in the shuffle and they are not intentionally ignoring me. I think they just have forgotten about this dissatisfied customer.

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #747
StentS

Man... I feel for you... I have had several experiences like this recently with other parts from different manufacturers... Please keep us posted as to the outcome...
I am going to wait now until you get this resolved..

Thanks Again,

Vince

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #748
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
I just sent an email to MGP asking for a clarification of the application for our 45th anniversary cars. I also asked why they apparently haven't responded to customers with problems and questions. I'm sure there are many more who would like to use their products but are hesitant to until all the questions are answered.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #749
StentS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbtwilli View Post
I just sent an email to MGP asking for a clarification of the application for our 45th anniversary cars. I also asked why they apparently haven't responded to customers with problems and questions. I'm sure there are many more who would like to use their products but are hesitant to until all the questions are answered.
I spoke to them on the phone and they swore to me there were no issues and they fit perfectly. I almost ordered them and decided to ask here on the forum before I did... Must be getting smarter in my old age....

Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #750
Hec_45th

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
My rims are plastidipped. You should try it yourself cause you sound on the fence, which is exactly why plastidip is so good. Don't like it; just peel it off!

I agree the car looks great with stock wheels, but when I started to black out my camaro I knew I needed to blackout my rims.

Also, are you planning on tinting your windows? If you tint your windows, definitely plastidip the rims or paint them. With no tint I think the rims should stay silver.

And my opinion, it needs tint... Therefore blacked out rims too...
I havent thought about plastidip, great idea. And yea the windows are tinted so might as well right. Im also going to paint the ridges on the engine cover/silencer red white and blue what do you think?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #751
11BEE
11 BEE

Quote:
I spoke to them on the phone and they swore to me there were no issues and they fit perfectly. I almost ordered them and decided to ask here on the forum before I did... Must be getting smarter in my old age....
They just called me back, and we are working on a fix now. They went to a dealer today and saw the car and the rim. They are welding up a sample today with the arch cut out and moving the post 1/16th of an inch inwards. They are shipping it to me today and I will dry fit it and test it. If it works, they will then have the new template and will paint me up a set.

I am a lot more confident now and they expressed a strong interest in helping me and bringing this to a resolution. Points for MGP!

I will update you soon.

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #752
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Here are a few photos from the last couple car shows I went to:

• Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #753
StentS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
They just called me back, and we are working on a fix now. They went to a dealer today and saw the car and the rim. They are welding up a sample today with the arch cut out and moving the post 1/16th of an inch inwards. They are shipping it to me today and I will dry fit it and test it. If it works, they will then have the new template and will paint me up a set.

I am a lot more confident now and they expressed a strong interest in helping me and bringing this to a resolution. Points for MGP!

I will update you soon.
That is great news! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Can you let me know who you have been dealing with there so when I speak with them they will understand my concerns?

Vince

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #754
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
[/QUOTE]
i really like the look of the rear end in this picture. imagine if this is what it looked like? you guys like it?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #755
-SS-

Drives: 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 View Post

i really like the look of the rear end in this picture. imagine if this is what it looked like? you guys like it?

Actually thats the first thing I noticed when I looked at it...the way the light makes it look like the fender has a round curve at the back looks really smooth...I like it!!
-SS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #756
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hec_45th View Post
I havent thought about plastidip, great idea. And yea the windows are tinted so might as well right. Im also going to paint the ridges on the engine cover/silencer red white and blue what do you think?
Yeah I'd say go for it!
And that sounds pretty cool, like the stitching on the seats in red, white an blue.
"v6" did his engine bay with white accents, it's pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 View Post

I'm confused, what exactly do you mean?

Here's how it sits now, mind the dirtiness and bad quality tapatalk shot, haha: