Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
Went to the DRAGS tonight! What should I do??!!!

So, tonight October, 8th 2010, just as I said... went to the drags tonight - ATLANTA DRAGWAY! Modifications: My car now has a full 1 7/8" ARH exhaust system, headers to exhaust tips. I also put in a Comp camshaft: 227/239 .614/.624 113lsa+4, and a K&N panel filter in the stock / factory airbox. By the way, lots of guys came by and asked me what my exhaust was... they all seemed to like the ARH sound goin' down the quarter.....(great job ARH! Thank you!!).... and on with the questions. Car ran an awesome Best MPH at Atlanta Dragway - 115.5mph. My best ET was 12.961@114.85mph and 2.25second 60 foot time. So...... here is the problem. Launch at 2500 rpm,Wheel spin like hell.... followed by feather out of the throttle....followed by noisy, scarry, disgusting amount of wheelhop! WTF 2 major launch problems must get under control! I won't change wheels, but I will consider sticky street tires (Nittos?)... but until I get wheelhop under control I won't put sticky tires on it - still runnin' factory Pirellis - parts will just be more likely to break with stickier tires and ridiculous amounts of wheelhop. I reduced radial tire pressure (Pirellis) to 30 psi-cold prior to 1st pass and did not change it again. I JUST looked at Pfadt solid rear bushings online - they sure are proud of them$$$!! What would you do? Car is making 456rwhp and 417rwtq. I had rev limiter set at 7000rpm and ran through the traps at about 6750 in 3rd gear. Atlanta Drags AND Road Atlanta TRACK DAY coming up in November 2011. If the car is properly setup what should it run in the quarter? I'm considering PFADT setup, sticky tires, and 4.10's. Oh yeah... by the way... TONIGHT... stock tires on 2011 Mustang GT with ONLY 4.10's and catback exhaust... 12.66 at 112mph. I watched HER run HER Mustang while my car was cooling down.

Last edited by JMAC2011; 10-09-2010 at 07:48 AM.
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
For maximum performance you will need an entire suspension package but you are on the right track with the Pfadt solid sub frame bushings. They are not cheap because they are not cheap. Get your hands on a set and you will see what I mean. Once you get the rear sub frame in check take a look at the rear trailing arms. They will allow the suspension to respond more quickly and keep the tires in contact with the road surface increasing traction. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I had similar problems with my car. Wheel hop and spinning was terrible. I got a complete pedders xa drag pack installed. The package included replacement bushings for all of the stock bushings and a complete set of coil over. After the install the car just planted and took off, no wheel hop and the spinning was handled by relearning how to launch without spinning (about 2000 rpm).
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Some of our axles that have our proven anti wheel hop technology incorporated will help get rid of that wheel hop.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
For maximum performance you will need an entire suspension package but you are on the right track with the Pfadt solid sub frame bushings. They are not cheap because they are not cheap. Get your hands on a set and you will see what I mean. Once you get the rear sub frame in check take a look at the rear trailing arms. They will allow the suspension to respond more quickly and keep the tires in contact with the road surface increasing traction. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Apex, why did you choose to go with offering these as opposed to the others that you offer on your site? Was this picture easier to upload? The better ones all seem to be in the same price range give or take a few $$$. I'm just asking becasue I want to get these as well but don't know which brand to go with or who has a better bushing etc. I know as a reatiler you prob can't choose sides or you'll look bad. Just wondering. I'll be talking with you soon!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
You need sticky tires....and if you get ANY wheel hop lift. Wheel hop will break stuff quicker than anything. I would also take the above advice on control arms & axles. I run 10.80's @126-7 w/a 1.40 60'. You need to get the power to the ground.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Apex, why did you choose to go with offering these as opposed to the others that you offer on your site? Was this picture easier to upload?
WTF?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

I appreciate all of the advice so far. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. SC2150 I think the wheelhop is more violent (for the car) than anything else... so it makes sense that wheelhop will destroy stuff. I'm going to wait on sticky tires until I get the wheelhop under control.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

What can you guys tell me FROM EXPERIENCE about the solid subframe bushings from PFADT vs. urethane bushings like installation time, noise, vibration, driveability, actual ability to do what you expect from them etc... I'll probably do as much of the installation work myself when I decide on parts. Is it realistic to expect a 1.7 60ft times with suspension and tire upgrades at this current power level 456rwhp, 417rwtq?

Last edited by JMAC2011; 10-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Apex, why did you choose to go with offering these as opposed to the others that you offer on your site? Was this picture easier to upload? The better ones all seem to be in the same price range give or take a few $$$. I'm just asking becasue I want to get these as well but don't know which brand to go with or who has a better bushing etc. I know as a reatiler you prob can't choose sides or you'll look bad. Just wondering. I'll be talking with you soon!
LOL. I recommended the Pfadt rear trailing arms because the OP already seemed to be interested in Pfadt parts and they make some of the best engineered suspension components available for the 5th generation Camaro. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
What can you guys tell me FROM EXPERIENCE about the solid subframe bushings from PFADT vs. urethane bushings like installation time, noise, vibration, driveability, actual ability to do what you expect from them etc... I'll probably do as much of the installation work myself when I decide on parts. Is it realistic to expect a 1.7 60ft times with suspension and tire upgrades at this current power level 456rwhp, 417rwtq?
Pfadt parts are engineered to provide maximum performance without sacrificing drivability. You definitely feel more with the solid bushings but it is not harsh or even uncomfortable. It simply feels more connected.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
do not expect good times with street tires, it is a waist of time going to the track without slicks.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
LOL. I recommended the Pfadt rear trailing arms because the OP already seemed to be interested in Pfadt parts and they make some of the best engineered suspension components available for the 5th generation Camaro. I look forward to hearing from you.

Have to agree w/Chase. Excelent way of controllling the hop. It is not so much your power level that breaks everything but the violent forces of the hop. Wheel shake on our dragsters can shake half the car apart. Even though you see the top fuel teams try to drive through it (they have much bigger budgets) we always abort the run (unless in the finals of a $50,000 race or like) to save on the parts. The GForce axles are of a greater mass and help as well.

BMR also does alot of drag testing and like their stuff also.

Sticky tires with some sidewall will help as well since the chassis will load more evenly so shake is less likely.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Thanks for the feedback guys! I like to see that people are putting effort into testing their parts and not just making a part that they think they can sell. I was checking out the Pedders stuff that FLYBY mentioned. Thanks FLYBY! It seems like they put effort into their stuff as well. I really like the idea of the solid bushings made by pfadt. My friend always says that "If I drive over a dime I want to be able to tell you if it is on heads or tails". I've always appreciated feeling the road and it sounds like the pfadt solid bushings give that, I'm not that concerned as long as they are not harsh, noisy, squeaky, etc... I think I'm leaning towards their $2000 kit with sway bars, springs etc... I AM VERY DEDICATED TO CREATING A CAR THAT PERFORMS "REASONABLY" WELL AT THE DRAGSTRIP AS WELL AS THE ROAD TRACK. I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. I would like to hear some specific testimonies if anybody has any. I might even leave the factory springs in the car if there is any value to that at the dragstrip over the lowered springs and still gain the handling benefits of the rear bushings, sway bars, trailing arms, end links etc...