Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
TX Pony Killer

Drives: 2011 2SS RS LS3 RJT
MTI short shifter - what tools do i need???

I purchased a MTI short shifter that should arrive today or tomorrow. I was curious if any of you have installed this yourself, and if so, would you mind sharing what tools you needed.

I just want to make sure I have everything I need before it gets here.

Thanks for any help.
TX Pony Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
I don't have the MTI but I did install a short throw. The basics are philips screw driver, trim tool (for poping up trim around shifter), wire cutters for zip tie, not sure the size but a ratches with an extention and allen screw adapter, and a long flat tip screw driver for popiing the linkage pins out.

You can go to youtube and search for 2010 camaro short shifter install. I know hurst and barton both have one.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
CamaroCowboy

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...r+install&aq=f

just pick one...the basics are all the same........
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
TX Pony Killer

Drives: 2011 2SS RS LS3 RJT
thanks. I have a list of the tools i think i need, but i wasn't sure if there were any specifics for the MTI.

My list so far:

10mm deep socket
12" extension
swivel joint
15mm deep socket
allen wrench for pushing clips in to remove pins from front of shifter assembly (to replace bushings)
long flat head screwdriver
philips screwdriver
TX Pony Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
CamaroCowboy

If you don't have the trim tool just be carefull poping up the center cover....Don't want to damage it
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
jim505

Drives: 2010 Red V6 STS Turbo Installed
From MTI website:

The MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter kit is not an entire shifter housing replacement. The kit includes all the components to convert the shifter assembly and its internal hardware with the highest quality components, while retaining the factory housing. Installation of the shifter requires the transmission to be lowered slightly to remove and install the shifter assembly. The new shifter is designed to use the stock shift knob or an aftermarket knob. The throw reduction is around 25%. We have tested over and over different throw reductions, and we felt that the final version provided the best overall confidence in shifting. Made in the USA.

Jim
jim505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
seach for flht99b screen name, he did a thread on how to install the MTI shifter, you could also contact flht99b, Ed is his name..
If that doesn't help call MTI ask to speak to 1 of the guys in the back...Roman, or Kevin