Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Juice2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS
What would YOU do in this situation?

I posted up in the for sale section about wanting to buy a 3.45 rear out of a stick car. I got a PM from a guy locally saying he had one with just a couple thousand more miles on it than my car had. I agreed to buy it from him for his $650 price. After a few PMs back and forth it turns out he is a G8 that was really trying to get a 3.27 rear from an auto. We worked out a deal. My rear in PERFECT working order plus $200, for his 3.45 is the same condition. I took delivery of the 3.45 rear and dropped off the $200. I went to a very well respected local shop and got it installed. The gears howled very loudly. I let this person know and he was very apologetic. He picked the differential used himself and had never installed it. He wanted to make it right.

Now this is where it starts to get crappy. We went back and forth on a few ways to make it right. The plan we came up with was returning my $200 and finding a "friendly" place that would do the work without incurring any additional costs. I dropped my car off at this place and was assured that there would be new 3.45 gears installed. I hand carried the new gears to the "friendly" place. I was told that our "friendly" place would be installing a new posi, bearings, seals, gears, and all other soft parts. I get a call 4 days later that the car is ready. On the receipt for work is only setting the gears, fluids, seals, and bearings. No posi replacement. I put all the required break in period into the rear. Waited 1000 miles before doing any hard launches. Never drove at a steady MPH or RPM in the first 1000 miles. I went to the Camaro vs Mustang event just a few weekends ago and guess what? One tire fryer! The posi is TOAST!

Well... here I am. The posi is no bueno. I still haven't gotten the $200 in return. The one thing I do have is my old 3.27 rear out of my car. Would I be an a-hole if I tried to recoup some of my loss by selling it? That is my dilemma. I don't want to be that guy, but at this point I just want my car to have working parts like it had before all this crap. What do you guys think?
Juice2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I think you learned a valuable (though expensive and embarrassing) lesson. When buying used parts, NEVER pay for them until they are proven to be as advertised. That, or go through a payment handler like PayPal, that has a Seller Protection Policy.

Sorry to hear about this but... live and learn.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Juice2SS

Well, he has the $200 but I still have my original rear end. He never took that. I'm curious if I'd look like an a-hole if I sold it to fix my current rear instead of giving it to him.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice2SS View Post
Well, he has the $200 but I still have my original rear end. He never took that. I'm curious if I'd look like an a-hole if I sold it to fix my current rear instead of giving it to him.
So.............give the guy a call and explain the situation. He may have his own situation and rather keep the 2 bills............your bases are covered and your conscience will be clear then. If that's agreeable have him e-mail his response directly to your email with the subject matter specific to the question of you just keeping the parts, him the cash. You're covered legally just in case he changes his mind, etc....( he may have someone else he's working another trade or higher sale price for the parts with). You won't be stuck in front of a judge explaining how/why you disposed of/ used the parts...........and coughing up some imaginary value he places on his supposed loss. Never trust a gut feeling or a strangers word.....protect your own ASSet's aka "Original rear end". Good Luck.........
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Juice2SS

I mentioned it to him and told him the posi was out. His response was basically that he was done trying to help.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
I mentioned it to him and told him the posi was out. His response was basically that he was done trying to help.
He was trying to help himself or he would have donated the parts in the begining to your project...............and now its time you help yourself cover your arse.

Send him a email explaining your plight and give him a deadline to respond accordingly...............send it too yourself and keep a copy , just in case. Its a legality and covers the issue, that he was given "Notice" of your intentions if he fails to respond. It concludes your relationship with him and his to the parts..........
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Juice2SS

Great advice.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Have you tried contacting the people who did the install? Is it possible they did the install incorrectly? Wrong type of fluid or something....
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Juice2SS

It was a dealership. I think they got it right. lol
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
Quote:
It was a dealership. I think they got it right. lol
thats sort of an oxymoron
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
Lets see it worked when you left and then you did some burnouts and now mad because it is toast. Uh.. You can take a new unit and abuse it and it is toast. Look into getting a stronger unit. BTW.. I just purchased a vehicle over labor day, brought it home and drove it for a few weeks. I romped it hard and I mean hard to see what it had. What it had was a rollback ride home. Blew out the carrier into little bitty pieces. Parts do not have warranty from abuse.
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Juice2SS

This is an auto car. Doing 3 burnouts in a water box isn't going to toast a posi. Especially if it is rebuilt like he said.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2212 View Post
thats sort of an oxymoron
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Sorry for the bad luck, unfortunately the ball is in the sellers court.