Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
L99 Exhaust Drone Question

OK, I have read countless threads on exhausts on here and I am still confused. I know the L99 has issues with the AFM but if that is tuned out is there still an issue with drone for some reason? I was thinking of going to a local shop and have the resonator replaced with an X-pipe and the mufflers with better ones. I would also be getting a tune for the car but I am worried about it having a bad drone. Can someone clear this up please!!!

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by justjoshin; 02-24-2014 at 03:22 PM.
justjoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I have long tubes and no muffler... Music to my ears. IMO
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
"Drone" is subjective, really. I drove a v6 with some ungodly aftermarket exhaust the owner before me put on it for almost 3 years until I upgraded to my SS. Because of this, I don't think my SS has much drone at all, but others may say otherwise.

I actually don't turn my music up in the SS, but in the v6 I had it up all the time because I couldn't stand the noise of the exhaust.

On the other hand, I have a muffler delete, still have the resonators, and am getting ready to add long tubes. So my idea of drone may change here pretty soon.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Like mentioned above drone is somewhat subjective but it all depends on how bad you get it. I had a G8 GT I did a muffler swap on and it was unbearable. Swapped it out for a Solo Performance catback and I was in heaven. We've sold some systems that people complained about the drone being terrible and other customers saying they didn't notice any drone on the same system. There are plenty of aftermarket systems that will not drone at all but we always recommend Corsa or Solo Performance for anyone worried about drone. They have the best track record and great customer reviews.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have Flowmaster AT Catback on my L99. I also have a handheld tune on it which 100% killed the drone after I disabled the AFM. Just my experience.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I have Flowmaster AT Catback on my L99. I also have a handheld tune on it which 100% killed the drone after I disabled the AFM. Just my experience.
That's not the drone he's taking about. His AFM is turned off already.

LS3 and L99 both will have drone with certain exhaust systems. Some like it some don't. Corsa and Solo handle drone very well.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Range V8 device!

I have an L99 with Thorley short tubes, solo HFC, solo axle back (muffler delete w/j-pipes)... no drone thanks to Range

I still have a stock resonator, with the JEGS x-pipe waiting to go on
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxxBombers213 View Post
Range V8 device!

I have an L99 with Thorley short tubes, solo HFC, solo axle back (muffler delete w/j-pipes)... no drone thanks to Range

I still have a stock resonator, with the JEGS x-pipe waiting to go on
Again, Range doesn't eliminate drone. It just turns off AFM and the noise that comes with it.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That's not the drone he's taking about. His AFM is turned off already.

LS3 and L99 both will have drone with certain exhaust systems. Some like it some don't. Corsa and Solo handle drone very well.
He asked if a tune will kill the drone after AFM is disabled and I answered him that yes it did in my experience my car has no drone at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Shady4

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have LT's, high flow cats, magnaflow tru x pipe and borla s type mufflers.
The drone actually came after I removed the big l99 resonator. Im thinking about adding j pipes to my bora s types to try and remove it, but if that doesnt work, im going to switch to some new mufflers.

2010 SS/RS L99
1 7/8 LT with high flow cats, Magnaflow tru X Pipe, K&N CAI.
Shady4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
He asked if a tune will kill the drone after AFM is disabled and I answered him that yes it did in my experience my car has no drone at all.
You said your tune 100% killed drone. A tune will not kill drone, but just turns off AFM. The noise that comes from AFM is not really drone, but that may be what the OP is talking about. Sort of hard to read. Glad to hear your system is drone free.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You said your tune 100% killed drone. A tune will not kill drone, but just turns off AFM which the OP has already done. The noise that comes from AFM is not really drone. Glad to hear your system is drone free, but his doesn't appear to be gone.
mlee, I have not done anything as of yet to the car. I am just looking for info before hand as I have read many posts of people having a drone even after the AFM is tuned out. I was thinking of going with a similar setup as the Flowmaster AT system but wanted to know if there was a bad drone after the AFM was tuned out.
justjoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
mlee, I have not done anything as of yet to the car. I am just looking for info before hand as I have read many posts of people having a drone even after the AFM is tuned out. I was thinking of going with a similar setup as the Flowmaster AT system but wanted to know if there was a bad drone after the AFM was tuned out.
Yeah, before you posted I changed my comment. AFM is a noise that you should be able to barely detect even when stock. It gets louder when you do catback or headers and is super annoying when it kicks in. This can be tuned out as others have said. The Range device is an option that would most likely be warranty friendly since you can simply unplug it.

Drone is a whole different animal and is a resonating sound pitch that comes in at certain RPMs. Corsa, Solo or J-pipes is the way to eliminate drone. I'm pretty sure you're going to experience drone with Flowmaster. The louder your car is, such as with headers, the louder drone will be.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Rejected View Post
I have long tubes and no muffler... Music to my ears. IMO
same here, and AMEN!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote