Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: Spool and axle package interest
You would be intertested in a 35 spline Spool 16 76.19%
You would not be interested in a 35 spline Spool and would rather just get a 9" 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Spool for the Camaro diff

Hey guys,

We here at Gforce Engineering are always looking for ways to bring new innovative and exciting products to market.
We teamed up with Strange Engineering about 2 years ago to make 35 spline spools for the 2010+ Camaro back when they first came out. We threw them on the shelf and never did advertise them much because we just got busy with other projects.

It's now time to start letting people know they can build the factory rear to hold big power using our spools and matching 35 spline inner stubs.
We designed the spool to use a 35 spline stub. The factory diff is a smaller 32 spline, the big 35 spline stubs dwarf the 32 spline stubs in size.
We have a shelf full of them and we now think it's time to start offering them to the guys wanting to build a really strong rear using the stock Camaro housing.

For those not familiar with a spool, it replaces the factory posi unit with a solid one piece carrier that the gear bolts onto.
You just take the stock posi and ring gear out, transfer your ring gear to the spool, press on new side bearings and reinstall.
They are very strong and will hold some really serious power.
Best of all they are cheap.
You get some tire squeal going around corners and the car WILL act different with a spool but it's easy to get used to. Some say a spool is not for the street but many people drive them on the street with no problems.
I wouldn’t recommend one in a daily driven car but a weekend warrior or drag only car would be the perfect candidate.

We will be offering our Spools with axles and stubs made to fit the spools for a package deal starting at $1569.
If you already have our axles then all you would need to do is buy the spool and the inner bolt on stubs for about $750.

Our Spool and axles carry our Lifetime Warranty.

Let me know what kind of interest you all have in this set up.

Thanks
Chris

GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Are these only good for drag racing? What about road course driving? I know lot's of folks need all this extra strength stuff on the strip because their going from a dead stop to max speed. But, what about those more interested in hot-laps on road courses, is this necessary or counter productive?
I would guess posi-traction good for hot-laps, not so good for drag-strip.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Are these only good for drag racing? What about road course driving? I know lot's of folks need all this extra strength stuff on the strip because their going from a dead stop to max speed. But, what about those more interested in hot-laps on road courses, is this necessary or counter productive?
I would guess posi-traction good for hot-laps, not so good for drag-strip.
Locking both rear wheels together is horrible for anything other than going straight.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
GFORCE1320

They are great for drift racing and alot of road race guys like them, it's one of those things.. some love them some hate them.
We had a couple well known pro drift teams approach us about using the spools back when we came out with them but we didnt have the R&D work done on the inner stubs at the time.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Locking both rear wheels together is horrible for anything other than going straight.
That's what I thought; Isn't this the same issue with Mustang's? Great for straight line driving, lousy for turns?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
That's what I thought; Isn't this the same issue with Mustang's? Great for straight line driving, lousy for turns?
Spools are the same in any car. I had one in my 98 SS. Awesome for the 1/4 mile, not so much for daily driving.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Spools are the same in any car. I had one in my 98 SS. Awesome for the 1/4 mile, not so much for daily driving.
Kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. My goal is a well behaved high performance vehicle that can be equally balanced for strip, track or street. Not trying to have the fastest vehicle in any category, just want to have a cool car I can drive in varying scenarios and enjoy it equally to some degree without breaking too much stuff on it with the new motor.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
GFORCE1320

Quote:
Kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. My goal is a well behaved high performance vehicle that can be equally balanced for strip, track or street. Not trying to have the fastest vehicle in any category, just want to have a cool car I can drive in varying scenarios and enjoy it equally to some degree without breaking too much stuff on it with the new motor.
Spools are geared more for the guy that is more worried about building a realiable car that wont break at the track.
If you want an all around street car with great driving manners then a spool wouldnt be for you.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
Spools are geared more for the guy that is more worried about building a realiable car that wont break at the track.
If you want an all around street car with great driving manners then a spool wouldnt be for you.
There is nothing like revving it to 6 grand and dropping the clutch with out a care in the world.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
There is nothing like revving it to 6 grand and dropping the clutch with out a care in the world.
.... in a straight line. In a corner you may have other things to worry about instead of some broken parts. LOL
Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
wwddnnone
Ur G'nna feel a pinch

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
While I'm not interested in a Spool, I am interested in a good Locking Diff for the factory 3rd member. I'm not at the power levels that require an upgrade to a 9" but I wish the factory LS was tighter and I hate the thought of putting anything blue oval in my car.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
bowtienick

Drives: 2010 ss m6
I was wondering if this package deal is still available, my stock diff and driveshaft just bit the dust, and i am thinking of going to the eaton or just running a spool. Either way it looks like i will be ordering a driveshaft and axle package for shure.
bowtienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
GFORCE1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtienick View Post
I was wondering if this package deal is still available, my stock diff and driveshaft just bit the dust, and i am thinking of going to the eaton or just running a spool. Either way it looks like i will be ordering a driveshaft and axle package for shure.
Sure, we can still do a package deal on this.
We would need 2-3 weeks to make the stubs, the spools are on the shelf.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtienick View Post
You don't want the Eaton. The factory diff can be beefed up for mildly over stock power. Could probably find a take out unit if yours completely dissintegrated.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axles, gforce, gforce1320, spool