Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #141
MEY

Drives: 2004 Avalanche Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
And if you have an automatic, there are some tweaks that should/could really wake the car up! Tuning the auto tranny is just as important (if not more important) than tuning the engine!
Now you got me curious. I have a 1LT RS w/auto and just added Airaid. What is there to do to the tranny to "wake the car up" as you say. Not sure it needs to be woke up any more then it already is, but curious as what can be done to it.
MEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #142
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Mey, to help answer your question (scrming, feel free to add more or correct me). The automatic transmission has what is called "Torque Management". It was put in place (via the cars computer (ECM)) from GM to promote smoother shifting. Basically, it manages (decreases) the engine torque on the transmission during shifts to try and prolong the life of the transmission. Thus, it also makes your car slower.

Tuners, like Vince, can normally take some or all of this torque management away from the automatics, opening up potentially a lot more torque down low and midrange in the RPMs. Shifts will become more firm than before. (Similar to how you should notice the difference in shifts from normal mode and sport mode). Now I can't personally back this, but some believe these firmer shifts are actually more healthy for your transmission...again I don't know and I don't deny or confirm it!

Also, a tuner can likely change the shift points your transmission will shift at....but if your like me, I'm happy with where the car shifts in sport mode.

Now, a question for you scrming:

Did you ask Vince to just reduce, or remove completely the torque management???
Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #143
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY View Post
Now you got me curious. I have a 1LT RS w/auto and just added Airaid. What is there to do to the tranny to "wake the car up" as you say. Not sure it needs to be woke up any more then it already is, but curious as what can be done to it.
While I really like this tranny, especially in Sport Mode, I find the shifts to soft and a bit to slow... The torque management system also basically "pulls" all the power out of the car when the car shifts... On the shifts the cars spark advance/timing goes from mid-20s to -8 degrees...

There is no reason this car shouldn't be chirping the 1-2 shift! LOL! At WOT the shifts just be giving your head a good snap! LOL! On my V6 Stang I'ld even occasionally chirp 2-3! LOL!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #144
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Mey, to help answer your question (scrming, feel free to add more or correct me). The automatic transmission has what is called "Torque Management". It was put in place (via the cars computer (ECM)) from GM to promote smoother shifting. Basically, it manages (decreases) the engine torque on the transmission during shifts to try and prolong the life of the transmission. Thus, it also makes your car slower.

Tuners, like Vince, can normally take some or all of this torque management away from the automatics, opening up potentially a lot more torque down low and midrange in the RPMs. Shifts will become more firm than before. (Same as when you should notice the difference in shifts from normal mode and sport mode). Now I can't personally back this, but some believe these firmer shifts are actually more healthy for your transmission...again I don't know and I don't deny or confirm it!

Also, a tuner can likely change the shift points your transmission will shift at....but if your like me, I'm happy with where the car shifts in sport mode.

Now, a question for you scrming:

Did you ask Vince to just reduce, or remove completely the torque management???
Good explanation!

And you are right... firmer shifts are actually easier on the tranny... I know it sounds backwards, but a firmer shift means you are slipping the belts as much... soft shifts mean the belts are slipping more which in theory wears them more... at least that is my understanding..

I have briefly mentioned the torque management stuff with Vince... but at this point I think we want to learn to walk before we run... so for me, it's mainly concentrating on the engine part of the tune...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #145
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Good explanation!

And you are right... firmer shifts are actually easier on the tranny... I know it sounds backwards, but a firmer shift means you are slipping the belts as much... soft shifts mean the belts are slipping more which in theory wears them more... at least that is my understanding..

I have briefly mentioned the torque management stuff with Vince... but at this point I think we want to learn to walk before we run... so for me, it's mainly concentrating on the engine part of the tune...
Awsome Makes sense to me, seeing as how just his engine tune seemed to make such a nice difference in engine power....that alone should be very noticable. (we all are looking forward to your results).

Then, later on, if you do tranny tuning, we'd love to see those results as well. Either way...you'll be in the 13s very soon I do believe.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #146
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
so would we be able to tune the tranny with this in the future?
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #147
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON_RAFA View Post
so would we be able to tune the tranny with this in the future?
It includes a tranny tune for the auto guys.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #148
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
I got the software last nite and I'm datalogging today. I'll send the logs to Vince this evening and, hopefully, I'll get the tune to load tomorrow in time to go the the strip tomorrow night! "Film at 11!"
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #149
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
It includes a tranny tune for the auto guys.
Noicccccce

thanks
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #150
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I got the software last nite and I'm datalogging today. I'll send the logs to Vince this evening and, hopefully, I'll get the tune to load tomorrow in time to go the the strip tomorrow night! "Film at 11!"

Can't wait to hear about the results guys. Please keep up posted.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #151
purplhaizcraz3

Drives: 2010 2LT CHEVY CAMARO BABY!!!!
So with this, I can tune the engine to whatever parameters I desire, correct? And if I need warranty work done, I can swap out the custom tune with a stock tune that comes with the tuner, right? Is there any way Chevy or GM would be able to tell if you did a tune after switching back to stock tune, and thus be able to deny warranty work? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I want to do everything to my car without voiding the warranty.
purplhaizcraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #152
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplhaizcraz3 View Post
So with this, I can tune the engine to whatever parameters I desire, correct? And if I need warranty work done, I can swap out the custom tune with a stock tune that comes with the tuner, right? Is there any way Chevy or GM would be able to tell if you did a tune after switching back to stock tune, and thus be able to deny warranty work? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I want to do everything to my car without voiding the warranty.
Pretty much been answered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=35
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #153
purplhaizcraz3

Drives: 2010 2LT CHEVY CAMARO BABY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Cool! Thanks for the link! I guess I know what I have to save up for now...
purplhaizcraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #154
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post

Exactly! The only other thing dealers can do is check the history of any codes the car might have thrown. Even then, those don't always show up as evidenced by my recent trip to the dealer over a CEL. Before I could get there, the car reset itself, and the code didn't show up in the history. That's after getting emailed the code from OnStar, contacting OnStar and having them recheck and getting the code and before the car reset itself.

This tune might definitely be the way to go!