Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Lightbulb The COPO of Today

Years ago, when you placed your Camaro order, you could choose from a variety of engines. It wasn't just an SS. It was the SS 350 or the SS 427 or whatever was available at the time. It was what you made it to be through the central office. It even had matching numbers and that GM warranty because GM made everything and could do the work.

There are a lot more complications today, and that is why we don't have this today. This is line we're all fed, and GM has enough on its plate not to make this a priority. Let's take a look at GM production.

There are plants committed to making engines. They build the engine, stamp a number on it, and send it to a car. There are plants committed to making cars. They build the car, paint it, stuff an engine in it, stamp a number on it, and send them to the dealership. Notice how the engine stamp has to match the car stamp for the ones that aren't crate engines.

In this process, there are issues of timing, supply, and making sure there are enough products to have extras for repairs and special orders.

Now, let's say I'm crazy for a moment. Let's say I want the LSX in my Camaro. To do it today, I have to get my L99 and my LSX, adding roughly $9k to my order. At this point, I'm at the mercy of whoever will buy my slightly used L99. Plus, my car insurance plan assumes I have the L99 in my Camaro, and the value of my car does not consider the extra value of my new engine. The numbers won't match, meaning that resale value is reduced. If someone ever totals my car, I'm taking a huge loss.

With today's technology, it is possible to place special orders. All you've really got to do is stamp a crate engine with the same VIN as the car and ship both to the dealer. Include the proper ECM and tune with the engine, and any dealer is prepared to do the install.

Imagine the possibilities. Dealers could make special edition, high-profit 427 Camaros on demand. The Yenko and Berger era could return with dealers adding fuel to the aftermarket fire.

Let's discuss our support for more options and more possibilities. I'm sure you're all with me.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
I agree Blur, exactly what would really have to change to do this, you do not have to produce barely any new parts if any at all.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
WongBob
Dig Race?

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I have called GM many times over things like this... they don't wanna talk. GM hates us... they just want our money, lol.
WongBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by WongBob View Post
I have called GM many times over things like this... they don't wanna talk. GM hates us... they just want our money, lol.
Another problem is demand on your case.

Last edited by shank0668; 01-29-2010 at 11:39 PM.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
WongBob
Dig Race?

Well here a copy of my last communication with GM...

11-23-09
"Hello,
I am wondering if the 4.5L Duramax is still in the works for the 1/2 ton pickups. I am looking to buy a new truck in the next year or two depending on the options available. What are the chances the 6.2L will be available in a single cab Silverado 1500 or the 5.3L/6.0L in the single cab Colorado?

I am a GM loyal consumer. I currently own a 2006 LT Trailblazer SS and a 2006 Silverado. Just a comment, many of us GM fanatics still appreciate performance where it is least expected. We would like to see more power even if it may sacrifice a bit of fuel economy. Some, like myself, couldn't care less about warranty. We know the vehicle is reliable when we purchase it, but also know how to protect it even after adding a few more horsepower.

I myself would like to see more gearing options and engine combinations for the trucks. That alone can be a major selling point on a new truck. Tell me, how can any performance minded individual use a 3.23/3.42 gear? Even a 3.73 is not enough when you have a heavy 20" wheel package.

I feel like in this time, when not many people are buying new vehicles, you should want to offer something that appeals to everyone. Gears and a more powerful engine are an easy addition when the parts are readily available and cost would be the same. If not, this cost could be put on the consumer if they choose to order a vehicle with that extra option.

All I am asking is that the option be available for special order vehicles. If a single cab Silverado with the 6.2L and 4.10/4.56 gears without me having to do the work myself. Well, just say you already have one sold.

Thanks,
Wade Rhodes"

11/24/09 Their response was...
"Dear Mr. Rhodes,

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and your interest in the 2010 Silverado 1500 and Colorado. We appreciate your loyalty and the time you have taken to write us. We spoke by phone and I am sending this reply email as you requested.

The 4.5L Duramax for the 2010 Silverado 1500 is still under review, and there have not been any additional official announcements. While we do not have details of the new Duramax and options/models at this time, the all-new Duramax diesel begins production in May for the 2010 Silverado/GMC Sierra. It appears this new Duramax applies to the larger Duramax diesels. Please stay in contact with your Chevrolet dealer for the most up to date product availability information. If you are not currently working with a Chevrolet dealership in your area and you would like to locate one, you may visit http://www.findchevydealer.com.

Closer to start of production, details of the new Duramax may be available at GM Powertrain. To reach this website, go to http://www.gm.com and click on the down arrow at the right top of the screen at All GM Sites and then click on GM Powertrain. We apologize for any inconvenience.

There has been an announcement that this is the last lifecycle of the current Colorado and Canyon. Production is expected to end for these products no later than mid 2012 or sooner, depending on market demand.

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding increasing performance via more power, gearing options, and engine combinations for the Silverado 1500 and Colorado. Many of our decisions regarding our vehicles are dependent on the market place. Customers provide feedback to us regarding our current vehicles, future vehicles, and the different components on them. From the information provided, we, in turn, make decisions and changes towards our product. We have documented your suggestions and comments.

To facilitate your suggestions, you also may consider submitting your idea via our website. General Motors welcomes your innovative ideas for product and process improvements. For information regarding submission procedures, please visit http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...ions/index.jsp

We recommend that you periodically contact your dealer or us for updates. You may also get updates on http://www.chevrolet.com as new information becomes available. Once the 2010 Silverado with the new Duramax is available, contact your local dealer to take a test drive.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide outstanding customer service. If we can be of any further assistance, please email us or call 1-800-950-2438 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. E.S.T., Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. E.S.T., Saturday. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com/"

Then a day or so after receiving that email, I received a phone call from GM thanking me for the support. I asked a few quick questions about the Camaro and 54 days later, on 1-17-09, I purchased my 2010 Camaro SS 6M. Just felt like I should throw this information out there for others to read. I know this was truck related, but hey... I work too! I just want something that may be able to get me back and forth a bit faster than your average truck can muster.

Last edited by WongBob; 01-30-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
My guess is the new Duramax they speak of being built in may is for the 2011 HD trucks. I'm glad they said the 4.5 D-Max is still under consideration. I want a D-Max 1500 Sierra right now!!
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
WongBob
Dig Race?

Im with you bro.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Start a petition.....

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
mdky2kss

Drives: 1978 Z28,1986 Iroc,2000 SS, 13 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to mdky2kss
Don't forget that they have to certify that engine for emissions in the Camaro if it is available from the factory. That is part of what makes it expensive if only a small percentage of people order their car this way.
mdky2kss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
BrianB

Drives: Future Owner
I would buy a diesel Tahoe or Burb right now if they offered it.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
WongBob
Dig Race?

That could become a reality becuase the 4.5 duramax is to be produced for the half-ton trucks which just so happens to be the same platform as the Tahoe, Suburban, and Avalanche.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
well if the colorado is leaving, will the S10 return?
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Blur: Your plan will never work. It's all because of the EPA.

Each model year vehicle cannot be sold unless its engine and drivetrain is EPA certified - FOR THAT YEAR. If you choose to install a non-certified engine, you're on your own and it will never fly by either the factory or the dealer.

Back in 1999, I purchased 22 crate motors from a GM clearing house. They were production supercharged 3800 GM engines, 240 HP, originally earmarked for the Grand Prix GTP. The reason I was able to purchase them was because the model year changed, and they had 140 of them earmarked as surplus (they already had a "lifetime" supply for the parts bins). They could not use them for the 2000 model year production because they were the wrong certification year...so I bought them REAL cheap. They had the factory oil in them and they were never even run. They were complete with supercharger and injectors.

I also purchased 45 Eaton long-snout superchargers from the same source, brand new GM, in these special clam-shell crates, 6 per crate...again, not certified for the current production and only a year old. Again, REAL inexpensive. And I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between these "new old stock" and the current production parts.

Amazing the expense GM goes thru to appease the government.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
SLP is the COPO of today -- huge horsepower, full warranty, handled through dealer as if it came from GM, not cheap but a good deal compared to doing the same modifications yourself

Last edited by Bert; 01-30-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berger, copo, yenko