Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I know from my experience the vendor I used was knowledgable but my own knowledge left alot to be desired.

From what I learned when I ordered custom wheels the vendor was on the hook once he ordered ( THIS I DIDN'T KNOW). The vendor tried to help the best he could, but the manufacturor basically came up with a BS story about tolerance etc..... all I know is the wheels vibrate, put the stock wheels on and no vibration, put the aftermarket wheels on and I have a vibration. Vendor is trying to help, manufacturor is not. OK live and learn.

Spent well over 6 k on a set of what I thought was high end wheels, they look pretty but are not functional. Of course it is over the internet and recourse is not good when business is done that way. People can act crazy over the phone and e-mail versus face to face.

The sad part of this whole ordeal on wheels is the vendor. The vendor is usually caught in the middle, tries to do the right thing and does not get support from the manufacturor. While the problem may exist on only a few sets of wheels the ole saying comes to mind " It only takes 1 Oh Sh** to mess up 10000 at a Boys"
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
BTW, I get mine balanced about every 2 months and have the receipts to prove it. EVERY time, the shop who does it tell me how out thye were. Noboby has been able to balance these wheels yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
BTW, I get mine balanced about every 2 months and have the receipts to prove it. EVERY time, the shop who does it tell me how out thye were. Noboby has been able to balance these wheels yet.
But they sure are pretty, just like mine are.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
Service@RevolutionStyling
Account Suspended

Drives: 5th Gen Camaros
"It only takes 1 Oh Sh** to mess up 10000 at a Boys" that is quite possibly the best line ive ever read on camaro5....lol.
Your 100% right , it sucks when your the middle man and its either your name or your money going out the window because of a faulty product. We have dealt alot with this these past 2 years, finally we have a qc system and proper agreement with our manufacturers to ensure we can back up anything we send out to a customer.

In this case your vendor is definitely caught in the middle. Randy im very sorry to hear about your balancing issue as well , i thought they had got you all straightend out. We never had any issues with them standing behind their product.
Service@RevolutionStyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

[QUOTE=Service@RevolutionStyling;3206571 We never had any issues with them standing behind their product.[/QUOTE]

Now you have heard of 2.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
But they sure are pretty, just like mine are.
They sure are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service@RevolutionStyling View Post
"It only takes 1 Oh Sh** to mess up 10000 at a Boys" that is quite possibly the best line ive ever read on camaro5....lol.
Your 100% right , it sucks when your the middle man and its either your name or your money going out the window because of a faulty product. We have dealt alot with this these past 2 years, finally we have a qc system and proper agreement with our manufacturers to ensure we can back up anything we send out to a customer.

In this case your vendor is definitely caught in the middle. Randy im very sorry to hear about your balancing issue as well , i thought they had got you all straightend out. We never had any issues with them standing behind their product.
I'm still in NineBalls corner. It isn't the vendor who makes the wheel. It's the wheel company. And you'd expect to get what you pay for. All the times I was laughed at and ridiculed by family and freinds on what I paid for my wheels my comeback in the beggining was just that .......... "Hey, you get what you pay for"

It's still a running joke. One that I won't live down EVER. Especially since some of them still ride in my car from time to time.

The day before me and Chris left for the fest from Mobile, I had them re-balanced AGAIN. I was told that the previous shop was horrible in that they should have known better than to put so many weights in one spot. Well, I left with this............ 34 weights in one spot counting the ones to the outside. It's just what happens with 22" wheels I suppose.

I've had as many as 41.

Name:  IMG_1200.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  232.5 KB

EDIT: This was actually a pic I took BEFORE going to the latest shop. The pic in post 22 is what's on the car now.

Last edited by PQ; 05-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...01#post3205601
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

I got this right now.

Gotta love lower Alabama...............

Been to 5 different shops. Firestone, 2 different Big 10 locations, Rent&Roll, and Gulf Coast Custom Wheels. R&R and Big10 have done them multiple times.

Like I said. Some REALLY stiff suspension parts and it just blends in.

Name:  IMG_1362.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  110.9 KB
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Oh boy, I'm gonna take cover

BTW, the wheels in the original post here are not expensive 3-piece wheels. They are 1-piece cast wheels, made overseas. Even low buck wheels have issues sometimes, it isn't a price thing.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Oh boy, I'm gonna take cover

I live here so I can say that...

Besides, Jkel is up north. It must be a South Bama thing.......

Hey, John, does Vengeance do wheels?

Gonna be pretty bad if I gotta drive to Jacksonvile, Atlanta, or Houston to get my damn wheels balanced.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAADSS View Post
I put 22's on my car last fall. I bought the wheel and tire combo mounted and balanced and ready to bolt on.The car doesn't see much long distance road time. Mainly just short trips around the local area. After I put them on I made a short trip on the expressway and noticed some vibration at 75-80 mph. It wasn't a consistant thing, It kind of seemed to fade in and out. So, I took it to a trusted local performance shop and had them checked for balance. I was told that yes, they were out of balance and that one rear wheel/tire gave them a perticularly hard time and took a lot of weight. When I asked if there was an issue with the rim or tire they said they really couldn't isolate the issue without pulling the tire off of the rim but not to worry because they did get it to balance out. After that I had one more event before winter and I still noticed the vibration. I was preparing to store the car for the winter after that event and planned to put the stock wheels back on for storage so I thought well, maybe I'll see if it does it with the stock wheels and if not I will take the 22's back to the guys that balanced them. Maybe I lost a weight or something.??? When I drove it with the stock wheels I did not notice the vibration so I contacted the shop again and they suggested that I have them "Ground force" balanced. They claim it's even more critical on low profile tires. I did some reading on this and without going to in depth on this, I guess it is possible to have a tire that is balanced perfectly but because it is not perfectly round it basically can hop on the road creating a vibration. OK....It makes sense so lets just do it and cure this issue so I can put it behind me. He gives me the report showing how much road force each wheel is creating and what they reduced it to. He even labels them and gives me a reccomended location to mount them. I get the tires back and store them in the basement until spring. the weather breaks and I drive the car a couple times with the stock wheels and then mount the 22's. Everything is good right? WRONG! I think they may even be worse than they were before! It is a very inconsistant thing. I can't isolate it. Sometimes it seems it gets better after the tire warm up. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes i think it's got to be the rear because I don't get any shake in the steering wheel. The next time the steering wheel shakes. I am very mechanically inclined and normally have no problems figuring these things out but this is DRIVING ME CRAZY! Is anyone else going through this with big wheels/low profile tires???
BTW, You're situation is IDENTICAL to mine.
I
D
E
N
T
I
C
A
L

To mine. Right down to the intermitant steering wheel shake. Please let me know if you figure it out. I have PZerro Nerros but two have been replaced and I had to borrow two from a shop when they ruined one, so it's NOT the tires that are messed up. OR flat spotting necessarily. I drove all the way to Phoenix and after 19 hours of straight driving it was still the same.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Randy, we are going to need to go with something like this next time around. These are Alabama style, and I don't think you could bend them.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Randy, we are going to need to go with something like this next time around. These are Alabama style, and I don't think you could bend them.
I think I had some of those on my 18 wheeler.

When I balanced them last they looked normal. Not perfect, but they never were, certainly better. But even the guys at the shop said they should be fine. That it was an acceptable tolerance. Visible, but acceptable. It's just that it takes so many damn weights to balance them and they even rotated the tire on the rims. And they still didn't get them balanced right.

I'm just gonna keep getting them done and done and done, til they are right.

I can't believe the lack of expertise here. I've asked a few 'Donk' guys about their wheels and they just tell me that 22 inch and above you just have to deal with it. That's just how they ride. Which I know isn't true because I've driven a few 5th Gen Camaros with them. Only constant is these cheap ass Chinese lug nuts. But I don't see how they could cause vibration on a hub-centric wheel.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Now I'm really looking forward to putting my 22s back on my car tomorrow...

I tried to sell them after I had them refinished. No one would give me even half what I paid for them.

They do look pretty on the car.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote