Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
I just got an SCT programmer on Saturday and flashed my L99 on Sunday. Night and day difference. Gas milage seems to be about the same "When I keep my foot out of it" Another added bonus for the auto trans I noticed is that when you let off the car doesnt drop to 4cyl mode and slow down. You actually coast and dont have to get back on the throttle. The shifting feels drasticly different and almost too firm but I'm slowly getting used to it. For me it was well worth the money. I did a K&N Drop in filter and the Programmer and I'm very happy so far. Now I'm saving for LT's and a CAI.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Hmmm, what I find weird about all this chip talk is the ad I found at the end of this thread:

http://www.gfchips.com/gmc.aspx

I have made a number of ill informed stupid posts in the past have gotten similar smart ass replies. And I will most likely write more. But one should not take all of this too seriously and you have to be able to laugh at yourself. I think smart ass replies are fine as long as they are actually funny.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by web327 View Post
I have had a hard time understanding all this tuning also. I guess they make handheld for beginners and the more advanced go to a shop for a dyno and tune special for your mods you have on your car.
A handheld programmer is if you want to be able to change basic things. Some company's include them in a package deal also with there tune pre-loaded. These tunes typically only account for the parts you just bought and assume the rest of the engine is stock. There usually a very conservative tune also to avoid engine damage. Some good tuners are using a handheld tuner with great success, but there having you download a custom tune to the handheld device then loading it into your car. It's called remote tuning and it will work great with a competent tuner creating the tune for you and making adjustments to it from the data logging you might do.

You are correct in that a dyno tune is typically done on more advanced parts combinations or radical engines. A Dyno tune can also be done on a stock engine if that's what you want.

You can tune either way, but you must have a competent tuner or it's a waste of time and money.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Hmmm, what I find weird about all this chip talk is the ad I found at the end of this thread:

http://www.gfchips.com/gmc.aspx

I have made a number of ill informed stupid posts in the past have gotten similar smart ass replies. And I will most likely write more. But one should not take all of this too seriously and you have to be able to laugh at yourself. I think smart ass replies are fine as long as they are actually funny.
Looks like their chip (box) splices into IAT wiring, so technically you could say there are chips for these car's, but not what I would call a tune.
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote