Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
ZL1 Convertible with PTM

Did any of the ZL1 convertibles ever have PTM? I have some literature before the ZL1 Vert came out GM saying that it was going to have PTM. Did they change there mind for some reason far as I know only the coupes have it. What happened Anyone
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The Verts have never had the PTMs the coupes have. The top end speed on the Verts are also lower (155mph) along with a few other differences such as no belly pan.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I believe the convertible is not certified about 155 mph. So GM stayed away from it. To get it certified to 155 they would have to put a roll bar in it. The convertible body is not as stiff as the hardtop.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
I believe the convertible is not certified about 155 mph. So GM stayed away from it. To get it certified to 155 they would have to put a roll bar in it. The convertible body is not as stiff as the hardtop.
The Verts have additional chassis bracing. They're more than stiff enough, it's the limitations of the fabric top that limit the top end to 155.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The Verts have never had the PTMs the coupes have. The top end speed on the Verts are also lower (155mph) along with a few other differences such as no belly pan.
You said the words! Belly pan!

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The Verts have additional chassis bracing. They're more than stiff enough, it's the limitations of the fabric top that limit the top end to 155.
This is from a track test for the 2013 ZL 1. Edmunds.com I also read this it road and track . as follows.

Acceleration: I tried to replicate the same "street start" and shift speed/rpm in both Tour and Sport mode with ESC on, so there sure seems to be a measurable difference in acceleration. The best run (expectedly) was in Sport with all systems off and the driver determining launch rpm and wheelspin. Predictable tire breakaway and a willing, well-oiled shifter make every pass feel like "the best pass." I used the launch-control feature twice, and while it is very repeatable and meters out wheelspin throughout 1st gear, it's too much to be faster than a trained butt. So, while Competitive ESC is available (enabling launch), it appears PTM is not part of the ZL1 Convertible's standard equipment. We found out why in the slalom.

Slalom: With ESC fully defeated, the ZL1 feels very capable up to 8/10ths when it shows the compromises inherent in the convertible: weight and noticeably flexy chassis cause steering delay/gain that feels initially like understeer, but isn't. So ratcheting back the expectations of quick steering response inserts a pause that affects both countersteering response as well as input reaction for the next cone. Result: late, late, late at each successive cone. It's not the steering system itself, the tires, nor the excellent dampers, it's the noodle holding all this together that snubs the car's responsiveness. I'd bet a wad of cash that this car has an LSD because it shot like a rocket through exit — at least that part was fun
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
Thanks for all the feed back. Apparently though at one point and time [GM] must of been thinking about it from what I read because it [vert] was supposed to have it when it came out. I know they don't BUT YOU THINK GM WOULD OF KNOWN THIS BRFORE SAYING IT THEN NOT HAVE IT. I was just wondering why what GM WOULD SAY [true facts] Not speculation.
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Yea it's becuz they are afraid of the fabric top nothing else. Remember the Gen5 1 mile record holder is a Vert so uhhhh! Don't need no stinking belly pan!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Any way to get PTM on the vert. I would think it's just a software limitation and not hardware. Wonder if anyone has looked into it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Wow, didn't know the verts had this limitation.....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Well it's either all the nannies on or off with stabilitrac or all off by double tapping. Me personally I either have them all on or all off. Basically commit or not!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #12
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
On or off, depending on mood and terrain.

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Didn't Snappy hit 225 in his vert at the Texas mile last year? Maybe GM should use that for their certification, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Didn't Snappy hit 225 in his vert at the Texas mile last year? Maybe GM should use that for their certification, lol.
Yep he sure did.
744rwhp 727rwtq