Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #1247
Janeails22x

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT 5spd Manual
Thank you all for your suggestions and objective input. And thank you for not flaming me :-). It is very constructive and appreciated.

Two things I should have mentioned:

1.) I sold the 66 Mustang (which I put a fuel injected 5.0 Cobra, T5 5spd. in) right before the economy tanked in order to purchase a home for my wife and I (newly wed in Oct. 08). So, I don't have that any more. :-(

2.) The Mustang is paid off in full, but I cannot afford to take on a monster car payment again. So, the only way I could get the Camaro is if I traded in the new Mustang.....or wait 5-10 years to get a used one, but by then we may have kids, other expenditures and I may never get one in great shape.

So, with this new info, any further thoughts? My biggest question is "is the RS package worth the money...?" I ask this because I can get an SS without that package, still have the wheels, spoiler, and gage pack. Biggest loss would be the HID halos and "sinister" taillamps, but to me I am not sure they are necessary. Is there really a BIG difference between the taillamps?

I love the Cyber Gray color with silver stripes, but I am having a hard time deciding if I could own this car in anything but Yellow with the Black Stripes (insert obvious Bumblebee reference here).

Another question is...."is the SS worth the dough?" I've heard that the V8 is very quiet but powerful. I've heard that the V6 cannot be beat and is the most impressive piece about the new Camaro. Still dancing between low options V8 vs. "pimped" out V6. Ugh. All this thinking and I have not even driven one yet.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #1248
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
If your Mustang is paid off you can probably pick up a V6 Camaro and keep the Mustang
your note shouldn't be more than $400/Month.

IMO there's NO way I would trade a Mustang GT for a V6 Camaro.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #1249
Jozef

Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
Mustang/Camaro

My girlfriend drives an '07 Mustang GT M5, and I can't stand it. The gearbox is a slushbox, and the clutch is junk. It's bad to the point that I let her drive my camaro for 2 days, after which she thought something was wrong with her clutch... The amount of effort needed to depress it is insane in comparison. It also engages very slowly.

You'll love the six speed.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #1250
harris.cgm/ss

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS CGM
2010 Camaro SS vs. 2008-2009 Mustang GT500

Has anyone raced a pre 2010 Gt500 in the new SS? I saw motor trend raced the new 2010 and beat the SS by a hair in the 1/4 mile. Would be interested to see what the SS would do to the previous gen. gt500.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #1251
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
How often do you push your car to its limits? If that happens a lot, the 2LT would feel like a step down during the months of waiting before you got some forced induction on it.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #1252
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I think this post needs to be in the VS forum, but I think it would be the same outcome ... GT500 > 2010 Camaro ..

Crowley
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1253
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeails22x View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and objective input. And thank you for not flaming me :-). It is very constructive and appreciated.

Two things I should have mentioned:

1.) I sold the 66 Mustang (which I put a fuel injected 5.0 Cobra, T5 5spd. in) right before the economy tanked in order to purchase a home for my wife and I (newly wed in Oct. 08). So, I don't have that any more. :-(

2.) The Mustang is paid off in full, but I cannot afford to take on a monster car payment again. So, the only way I could get the Camaro is if I traded in the new Mustang.....or wait 5-10 years to get a used one, but by then we may have kids, other expenditures and I may never get one in great shape.

So, with this new info, any further thoughts? My biggest question is "is the RS package worth the money...?" I ask this because I can get an SS without that package, still have the wheels, spoiler, and gage pack. Biggest loss would be the HID halos and "sinister" taillamps, but to me I am not sure they are necessary. Is there really a BIG difference between the taillamps?

I love the Cyber Gray color with silver stripes, but I am having a hard time deciding if I could own this car in anything but Yellow with the Black Stripes (insert obvious Bumblebee reference here).

Another question is...."is the SS worth the dough?" I've heard that the V8 is very quiet but powerful. I've heard that the V6 cannot be beat and is the most impressive piece about the new Camaro. Still dancing between low options V8 vs. "pimped" out V6. Ugh. All this thinking and I have not even driven one yet.
i don’t know why GM decided to make the Colored ditch molding a RS feature and not something that is just normal on the car. i have seen some of the camaros without the colored molding and it doesn’t look good. especially on bright colors. so in my opinion i would get the RS package.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #1254
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
you can get a 1ss that is about the same price as the 2LT. 1ss same as 2ss minus leather and bluetooth. leather can be added down the road
the USB plug is what got me, i love music and that just wasn’t working for me. and the area where the Ambient lighting is suppose to be doesn’t look good
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #1255
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Well its just this simple. If you have garage queened your mustang, you will probably do the same to the Camaro. So you need to decide what you want to use the car for. Driving ? Garage Queen ? Race ?

You need to decide that before getting anything. IMO I would wait before doing anything...The thread on the QC for the manuals, and the numerous ones on the L99 should be enough to wait for GM to get the gremlins out first.

But that's just me.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #1256
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Money can always be made!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #1257
Janeails22x

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT 5spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Well its just this simple. If you have garage queened your mustang, you will probably do the same to the Camaro. So you need to decide what you want to use the car for. Driving ? Garage Queen ? Race ?

You need to decide that before getting anything. IMO I would wait before doing anything...The thread on the QC for the manuals, and the numerous ones on the L99 should be enough to wait for GM to get the gremlins out first.

But that's just me.

This comment is definitely spot on. Yes, the Camaro would be a Garage Queen, sunny day, weekend cruiser for the wife and I, just like the Mustang.

And after reading some other threads here about the manual transmission halts, it definitely puts a damper on the situation.

I also have to agree with the comments regarding stepping down to a V6. Even though the horses are about equal, I would lose the throaty V8 and what torque the Mustang does have.

I have run it past my wife, and she has stated that our test drives will also cement our decisions. Right now, having not driven either trim, she is leaning toward keeping the Mustang and getting me a better daily driver. She may be very wise. She has stated that we will give them a shot, and it absolultely has to blow us away in every category in order to get one. Can't wait to drive them.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #1258
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Hey Jozef would be cool to see you and her going stoplight to stoplight with your cars! You should get a friend to video that!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #1259
speeflo

Drives: Chevy 2500
my brother in law has a 08 gt500 were gunna goto track this weekend, vs my m6ss 1/8 mile , both of us arent the greatest drivers so it should be a good race, numbers might not be as low as they could be though, should be fun..
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #1260
Jozef

Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
Sure. Shouldn't be a problem. I just need to break in the car fist. I'm about to roll over 500 miles, and I've only opened her up twice so far.

Closed Thread