Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Z/28 Inside Scoop

Last edited by AUS10BMX; 08-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
People who talk, don't know.

People who know, don't talk.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Actually, this is someone who just doesn't mind telling it like it is, cause its gonna happen someday. I'm anxious just like he is, so thats why I'm sharing this.
Seriously, I have several friends in very high places who work for two of the Detroit three. They have signed confidentiality agreements, and have their cell phones confiscated before going to product meetings. These guys are among my closest freinds, and they never talk. Ever.

They've told me many times, "I can't say anything". I'm not saying your friend is "wrong", but it's either common knowledge by now, or he doesn't know.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

this is isnt really true here in this situation. we've all seen the photos he didnt really give anything you shouldn't already know away. last week it was reported on espn's nascar show from a chevy racing division remember that the current camaro didnt fit the current demographic but in the future that would change along with nascar giving back the manufactures some brand recognition
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
this is isnt really true here in this situation. we've all seen the photos he didnt really give anything you shouldn't already know away. last week it was reported on espn's nascar show from a chevy racing division remember that the current camaro didnt fit the current demographic but in the future that would change along with nascar giving back the manufactures some brand recognition
It's absolutely true.

See the last two lines of post #4.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
It's absolutely true.
It is...but not everyone holds themselves to their agreements.

All we can really do is wait and see.

The Nascar bit is interesting to chew on.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It is...but not everyone holds themselves to their agreements.

All we can really do is wait and see.

I've thought it extremely interesting that Chevy decided to stick with the Impala nameplate in the Nationwide Series while Ford went to Mustang and Dodge went to Challenger. Their "explanation" at the time never made much sense to me, but it's their decision. Time will tell if there are changes made in the future.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:

Yeah, we already knew about the other stuff, but yeah the Nascar angle is a new twist.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I've thought it extremely interesting that Chevy decided to stick with the Impala nameplate in the Nationwide Series while Ford went to Mustang and Dodge went to Challenger. Their "explanation" at the time never made much sense to me, but it's their decision. Time will tell if there are changes made in the future.
Clyde
Oh, I understand it completely. A racecar won't sell cars...because they reflect nothing on the vehicle in the showroom, and people know it. At best, it gets the name out there...but Camaro is already everywhere. And the 5thgen Camaro owes a large portion of its success to its design. By removing everything but the name for NASCAR, you dissolve that....and they didn't want to.

Actually...of the three, it's funny to think that the Impala looks the closest to its 'stock'car cousin!

EDIT: While I like to see the Camaro name be everywhere and on everything....I also like that they're making it do its own thing, and not play follow-the-leader.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Of course there is always speculation, and things could change but...

I talked to a friend yesterday who is in the know about the new Z/28.

Yes, there is one being made, and it will be a 2012 model (so should be released in 2011).
The actual car (body) will not be changed because they have already been made and will not change this generation. What will change is the front and rear bumper, and of course engine, but wasn't told much about it.
Like mentioned in the thread on the home paige about the Corvette, V6 turbo for the future Camaro may also be in the works.
Also, NASCAR may be adopting the Camaro Z/28 (for the new release) instead of the Impala SS that they run now, and will incorporate the new front bumper of the Z/28 (the new NASCAR cars are changing the body styles once again, and are getting rid of the front chip splitters from what I understand, but thats another topic).

This is from a reliable source, and someone who works for a race team, Chevy of course, haha, and he knows whats up!
I don't see Chevy running the Camaro nameplate in the Cup Series as long as Ford is still running the Fusion and Dodge is still running the Charger, I think they'll stick to Impala unless every manufacturer changes. The puzzlement was Chevy not moving to the Camaro nameplate for the Nationwide Series when the new bodies came out and Ford/Dodge moved to Mustang/Challenger nameplates.
Clyde
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
wildpaws

Quote:
Oh, I understand it completely. A racecar won't sell cars...because they reflect nothing on the vehicle in the showroom, and people know it. At best, it gets the name out there...but Camaro is already everywhere. And the 5thgen Camaro owes a large portion of its success to its design. By removing everything but the name for NASCAR, you dissolve that....and they didn't want to.

Actually...of the three, it's funny to think that the Impala looks the closest to its 'stock'car cousin!
Makes me want the return of true stock car racing, or barring that at least have the bodies look "correct". Perhaps we'll one day see a Z/28 in some type of NASCAR venue.
Clyde
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Makes me want the return of true stock car racing, or barring that at least have the bodies look "correct". Perhaps we'll one day see a Z/28 in some type of NASCAR venue.
Clyde
I'm right there with you.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Quote:
Seriously, I have several friends in very high places who work for two of the Detroit three. They have signed confidentiality agreements, and have their cell phones confiscated before going to product meetings. These guys are among my closest freinds, and they never talk. Ever.

They've told me many times, "I can't say anything". I'm not saying your friend is "wrong", but it's either common knowledge by now, or he doesn't know.
Exactly.

*looks at Number 3*
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Clyde
Watch the Continental Grand Am racing series. It is very close to stock vehicles.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote