Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
b0r

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Do you know what a BOV is and what it does? It isn't like they have a button or setting that turns it on and off like exhaust cutouts. It activates automatically when needed to perform its function.
Yes I know he's not turning it on or off I'm just saying in general. I am not familiar with its use as I've seen many boosted vehicles without them so I'm assuming it's application specific.

I know Paul walker didn't drive a neon or SRT4, I was referring to the neon trying to be an answer to Nissan/honda etc.
b0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #30
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0r View Post
Yes I know he's not turning it on or off I'm just saying in general. I am not familiar with its use as I've seen many boosted vehicles without them so I'm assuming it's application specific.

I know Paul walker didn't drive a neon or SRT4, I was referring to the neon trying to be an answer to Nissan/honda etc.
Any boosted vehicle has to have some kind of mechanical device to vent the pressure once it's built up, whether it's a blow off valve, a diverter valve, (on turbo applications) or a bypass valve (supercharger applications). Any boosted application would have some kind of a device to the same function. That pressure built up in the intake has to go somewhere, and back the way it came is not an option.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
A part of me wants to laugh, but I know these can be sleeper cars. I was at the gas station when one of these popcorn machines drove by with his blow off valve making all sorts of noise. I started laughing out loud, jumped into the SS and chased him down. Got next to him and he was aggressively accelerating etc. something deep inside me wants to believe that I'd just poop all over the hood of that toy car, but I'm not naive and I know he could be sleeping. With all that noise though, I think it's just more of a washing machine without a door.

Obviously it's turbo'd, but to what level is the question. Driving next to this little guy made me want to get a S/C or a rhino cam, but he's not worth the $2,000-$6000. I want to go back out and drag him to a private lot and see what he's talking about. At the very least run him until his head gasket melts
They are nothing to mess with. I guy that worked for me had one with larger turbo and misc upgrades. It would SMOKE my ZL1.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #32
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
They are nothing to mess with. I guy that worked for me had one with larger turbo and misc upgrades. It would SMOKE my ZL1.

and yet you bought a ZL1...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
i bet if the OP beat a gtr he would talk crap saying his cheap car is better than the better foundation
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #34
b0r

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
i bet if the OP beat a gtr he would talk crap saying his cheap car is better than the better foundation
I'd never even see a GT-R around here to lose to one, moot. Everyone is stuck on a "class" of people and being better when that's not what was said lol.
b0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
FryZ

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green
Quote:
Everyone is stuck on a "class" of people and being better when that's not what was said lol.
Go back and read your posts..."it's still a Neon, kids and their cars" etc...you came off pretty condescending towards a car that isn't "on par" w/ your camaro because your camaro cost more.

So you jumped in your car to chase this "kid" that was "dumb" to mod his SRT4, he made some BOV noises, you got scared (because you might've got beat by a skittle), didn't want any of it, and came on here to post...got it.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #36
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
The thing that really sucked about the Neon SRT-4: Power windows up front, hand crank in the back.

Otherwise it's a factory turbo four door with underrated HP stats from the factory, no mufflers standard equipment and back then the Neon was a sought after track car. I'd take one for the right price.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #37
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I had a cammed S3 skittle a few years ago, and on race fuel map it was a blast from a roll. Would hurt alot of feelings . OP you may have chosen wisely to mod up before trying him. Or it might have been stockish and an easy win. Thats the problem with the srt-4's anymore, hard to know how far they have been modded.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #38
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Funny thing is, I get to work today and tell my buddy about the black SRT 4 in town and he's like "dude he's making all kinds of boost, has a few grand in it etc" so I'm happy I didn't mess around. The point is that it's still an SRT4. I was simply saying that I could sell my SS and put $18,000 into an SRT4, I just wouldn't. It wouldn't bother me a bit if he beat me from a dig at the track, I could buy the same car and make it faster...I'd just rather do it to this one. You have these children with these NEONS (I don't give a shit what model it is, it's still a neon.) doing all kinds of shit to them because of Paul walker. Fact is, I'm not hating or jealous, congratulations on your neon with $5,000 in it. These aren't justification statements, they're facts.
$5,000? My buddy's has near $13k making 588rwhp parts aint cheap at all.
Heck I'd take a neon making 588rwhp over my slow 11sec 2013 L99 anyday!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #39
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Well I would think after current import trends of what is on the rode, anytime you see one that appears modded, has wastegates/bov etc. sounds. It should make you think what kind of power to weight ratio might he have going on. you already should know the car is alot lighter and can become considerably quick with some moderate modding meanwhile you would require even more to combat your extra 1000lbs. From a quickness standpoint it doesnt take much for those import type(im categorizing knowing its a dodge) to get there. Now does it look good doing so compared to yours?? ..UMMM no. so I get that part of the argument, can it be quick and just be a neon? YUP! Can it be quick and ugly and just be a neon? YUP also.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #40
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
we had a few quick srt4's that used to hang around here but i never see them anymore, but there has been a few cobalt turbo's rolling around here making high 3 low 400's

416, AGP 6262, E85, Cam
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #41
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I do a few car shows up here in the summer and it always bothers me when an "elite" car group shows up and basically gets douche about other car types. They huddle around each other and basically ignore everyone, unless you drive one of "their" cars...

...and of course, they have the fastest, sweetest rides and everyone else is just beneath them...

I love my car but I never want to be one of those "elitist" jerks.

Civics, STI's, Golfs...does not matter to me as long as the owner is trying to better the car and make it their own..

Do I sometimes get ricers buzzing around me as I cruise? Yep and I ignore them. I real enthusiast will ask you to race but when it is done, no matter who wins, there should be that mutual respect for the sport.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #42
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
That's kind of a poser statement IMHO, a fast car is a fast car, doesn't matter if it has a Camaro badge on it or a Neon badge and I buy my cars because I like them not to try and impress others because they might think one car is better looking than the other. I can't remember how many Mustang GT's I walked with my SRT4, it was like driving a go kart, that little thing was light and fast and handled fantastic plus was easy to modify. I don't buy cars because I hope other people find them attractive, I buy cars that I like that are fast and affordable. I've owned them all, GT's, SRT4's, LS1's, Cobalt SS, GXP, Charger, etc.... To this day the SRT4 is still the most fun I had driving a car, it was raw and if you hit a pothole you would probably need to go to the chiropractor the next day but other than vicious wheel hop it was a great car with no mechanical issues whatsoever. In fact all 3 of my Dodge vehicles have never been in the shop for a single issue, my LS1 was in for rear pinion seals constantly and my turbo Cobalt was a POS, it was in for service probably 7 times for power steering going out, ignition broke locking the keys in the column, rear brakes had grooves, the clutch feel was never the same 2 times in a row. It was a fun little car but was always broke.
I didn't say what badge it needed to have on it. It isn't a poser statement, it is my opinion. I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't enjoy looking at. If I just wanted to go fast and kill myself, I would have a motorcycle. There is a difference between driving a car and wanting to drive a car. I want to drive my car, I don't want to drive my buddies turboed Honda Civic. That's just how I am.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote