Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #29
BLKLS3

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Just ordered my Shift Knob!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #30
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
HOLY CRAP!!! Thats the most complex and extensive shifter install I've seen. Makes me miss my 04 cobra. I put a MGW in it in 20 minutes.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #31
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
HOLY CRAP!!! Thats the most complex and extensive shifter install I've seen. Makes me miss my 04 cobra. I put a MGW in it in 20 minutes.
its actually pretty easy ....not easy like an 04 cobra but i can actually do it in about 35 minutes now,

george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #32
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post
its actually pretty easy ....not easy like an 04 cobra but i can actually do it in about 35 minutes now,

george
Well having a lift makes alot of difference. I need to make friends with someone who has one.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #33
FRKNlo

Drives: VStar 1100 Classic, 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Tip on remiving the shifter linkage support arms
The way to do it quickly is to hold down the latch like you are going to install it. Stick the allen wrench in the hole and push in as hard as possible. You want to push the little tab on the latch out of the hole. You will feel and hear an audible click. Just think about pushing the allen wrench in as far as possible. See drawing Not to scale
FRKNlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Bump!

Great Video. should be installing mine soon!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
SS/RS NJ
Chevy/Buick Internet Mgr

Drives: 2SS/RS Victory Red
MGW install issue

I just started to install my MGW and I noticed that the support arms don't match the install video... is this a new design or the wrong part?

Thanks!
Attached Images

MTI Rear dovetail spoiler.
Replaced: 2010 Silver Ice A6 2SS/RS
SS/RS NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #36
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Those are the updated arms with the bushings pre-installed. Makes the job a bit easier!
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #37
SS/RS NJ
Chevy/Buick Internet Mgr

Drives: 2SS/RS Victory Red
I was hoping that was the case. Thanks!
MTI Rear dovetail spoiler.
Replaced: 2010 Silver Ice A6 2SS/RS
SS/RS NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
FINALLY installed mine. Just a few minutes of driving it...

Holy $#!t is this thing awesome...

I can't believe I let this thing sit on my work bench as long as I did...

Completely different driving feel with this shifter.

Well Done MGW.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #39
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH

What’s hard, stubby and loves to be fondled? If my newly installed MGW shifter didn’t come to mind, you need to get your head out of the gutter!

Here is my impression of MGW’s new shifter for us V6 guys... and when I say new, I think the only difference between the V8 and the V6 kit is the front transmission arms.

The shifter arrived only a few days after being shipped. The compact and heavy 7”X8”X10” box was meticulously packed with all components individually bubble wrapped or bagged in heavy duty plastic zip loc bags. A V8 installation DVD was also included (same video they post on their web site) and most of the component bags had additional and or revised instructions in them. I think everyone who bought this shifter would agree that after inspecting all the components, quality and attention to detail is second to none. After watching the installation DVD and reading the installation revisions a few times, I was fairly confident about what I had to do.

I took me about 1.5 hours to install and I would have finished sooner, had I been able to simply pull the OEM stick shift out through the bottom of the housing the way the guy in the DVD did. Those return springs gave me much more trouble than that guy in the video! I was preparing myself for a big fight with those transmission pin clips, but they were actually a piece of cake! Probably because my AY6 ASIAN transmission doesn’t have the little arm pin/clip holes in it like the V8 transmission. The DVD says to insert the included Alan key into the small holes in the transmission to release the front arm pin clips. I just used a long thin slotted screwdriver under the clip tabs then gently lifted the clips upward... but hey... thanks for the Alan key anyways guys. There was also lots of room to completely remove both pins. The video made it seem like space was at a premium here. The biggest difference between the V8 and the V6 assembly though is probably those 2 front arms. According to the DVD, the V8 guys have a passenger arm and drivers arm. The new V6 arms are identical. It looks like the V6 and V8 guys both get the new part to seal the front of the shifter boot from underneath the car. I couldn’t find when to install this part anywhere in the instructions but I did do it right after I made the centre link connection and got the lower boot sealed on the main shifter assembly.

So far, this mod is one of my favourites... lots of fun to install, and it makes the car much more enjoyable to drive. Now I just leave my elbow planted in the centre arm rest when shifting through the gears. I’ve heard more than one MGW owner say how stiff this shifter is when new but it’s really not that bad. Anytime I’ve called MGW or emailed them, they have always gone out of their way to answer any of my questions. I also opted for MGW’s race knob, and I think that’s why this combination makes the shifting feel so much more mechanical now. You can almost feel the syncro’s and gears meshing with each shift. There is no buzzing or noise that some people have complained about either, and I think this shifter doesn’t bounce around like the stock one did when driving down the road. In this case, I think you do get what you pay for and shipping is dirt cheap, if you consider the weight of the box!

I do have one beef though. I had to endure plenty of teasing from all of my MGW V8 brethren for way too long. In hindsight, I should have just ordered the V8 kit and fabricated my own front support arms. Almost 2 years on the MGW waiting but I’m glad I didn’t settle for anything else.

Now, if they would only make those orange Classic Rally Stripe Knobs with the V6 shift pattern in them... Hey MGW... put me on your waiting list.

Thank You George and everyone else at MGW for an awesome product.

Attached Images

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
What are the possible implications if the shifter isn't perfectly level? I ask, because it doesn't appear that any tools are used to verify that it's perfectly level.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote