Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #29
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
I had my first shop blow up for of my engines. Two happened on the dyno and was someone still my fault.

It's def all about knowing how to tune and choosing the right parts for the application.

Found a new shop and it's been roses for a year.

I'd highly advise anyone looking to add go fast parts to their car to do a thorough research job before making any final decisions.
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
white ZL1

Drives: none
As soon as I saw this, I damn near pissed my pants thinking about what your post might say.
Attached Images

white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #31
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Sorry to hear :( Are you able to save block heads etc or was it catastrophic?
Going to use the block as a core for something that is already built. Also keeping the heads and putting them on the new motor. It chewed up the cam pretty bad and the main/rod bearings are questionable. So I will be all forged after this. I always planned on upgrading the motor but this came a lot sooner than I had expected.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #32
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
BTW good color choice SSBUSDRVR
Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #33
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by white ZL1 View Post
As soon as I saw this, I damn near pissed my pants thinking about what your post might say.

Bahaha. Sad but so very true. I could add so many more cars that aren't on this site but I wont.
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #34
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
BTW good color choice SSBUSDRVR
Thanks you too. Great to hear you could salvage some of it.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
jordoza

Drives: 2012 camaro ss, 2010 silverado
I second the research your tuner or shop idea although that doesn't always work per se. I was at 9000 miles and wanted more. I have always built and tuned my own stuff. So I built a single rear mount 78mm turbonetics kit for the car. Did the zl1 pump 85 lb ijectors and all of it. I was kinda worried about tuning cause the e38 ecm doesn't have a normal VE table and I hadn't done one before. So I called hellion they are just north of me. They said only one guy to take it too. I won't name him but I will say Albuquerque doesn't have a single tuner that knows his stuff in my opinion. Anyway took it to him and he tuned it. Made 630 then it would only make 540 all of a sudden but he said intercoolers heat soaked is all. Then he street tuned it. Ran one more dyno run and it only did 610. He said it was because of the rear mount that it wasn't consistent on its numbers.my first rear mount so I said OK. It drove really good and was damn fast. So I took it home trailered by the way. So next morning I jump in it and I'm gonna take it to work.work is 60 miles away so I drive there and decide to take a friend for a ride. Bam smoke and engine died. Look in the rear view mirror and something is in the road. Walk over and it was half of the number 7 piston. What the hell. Checked the car rod sticking through the block. I could have cried. Anyway turns out the tuner had way too much timing in the engine. 21 degrees under boost. So I put an lsx 376 in and took it to a guy in el Paso who had tuned a few friends cars that I know. Older stuff like ls1 and stuff. He said I tune a lot of these no problem. Same weird power issues sometimes good sometimes its like it was stock. Anyway he said drive it and see what I thought made it 2 miles and tranny over temp and slipping. So I pulled he tune myself and looked at it. Turns out neither pro tuner had ever set the calibration for the zr1 map sensor. Both were given spec sheets on the mods done to the engine. Replaced the trans with a Patc built phoenix and tuned the car myself. Not a single failure. Of course the rear mount turbo thing got old fast so.now I'm upgrading again. Sorry for he long post. It was longer in real life believe me.
jordoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Hey Jordoza...sorry about your bad luck. Do you HP tuners? Just wondering how tough it would be to learn. I have a yukon am going to turbo. Not trying to jack the thread OP. I also like working on my stuff.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #37
jordoza

I had tuned a lot of diesels with hptuners before and hotrod stuff with mega squirt. Plus I'm a professional technician so I figured it out pretty easy. It all depends on how knowledgeable you are about car stuff in he first place. I've been a tech for 20 yrs ten in a gm shop so I had a huge advantage over most. I do use hptuners. What year truck are we talk in about.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #38
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
04 yukon 5.3 motor 4l60e junk tranny. Awd. Did just rebuild the front diff. Yeah I am not a tech. Just a guy who loves horsepower. But I am an engineer so I am always trying to figure something out.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
PwrAdikt

Drives: 2005 silverado ss 2010 camaro ss
I've lost a 6.0 stock bottom on 11lbs of boost from a maggy in my truck ss silvy and broke a valve and toasted a whole cylinder in my built ls7 for my 2010 camaro ss. Neither had lots of miles. But im very hard on them.
PwrAdikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #40
jordoza

Unless I'm mistaken you have an e40 ecm which is pretty easy to tune as long as you don't go with to large of an injector that you end up having to scale the tune even then its really not impossibly hard.what kind of power you thinking about wanting.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #41
jordoza

Here's a pic of the half a piston I found in the road should be good for a laugh.Name:  IMG_20141002_203947623.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  110.1 KB