Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Phil Oliver

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
1/4 tank or full tank of gas when storing Car

I've heard two schools of thought on the amount of gas that should be left in the car when storing for the winter. I had heard that a full tank is best so condensation doesn't form and rust the tank but on the flip side someone mentioned the Camaro doesn't have a gas tank made of metal so rust isn't an issue and a 1/4 is best so when you take the car out of storage you fill the tank and the 3/4 of fresh gas mix with the old and you are better off.

I am parking my Camaro this Saturday and am not sure if I should put a full tank or 1/4 tank. I will be putting in fuel stabilizer regardless.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Full tank to keep condesation from occuring and fuel stabilzer to keep it from going stale and losing octane.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
honestly, I don't think it really matters. You are not really "storing" the car. You are parking it for a few months. I have done it with many cars and never did anything special. last winter I drove the C6 into the garage with god only knows how much fuel, shut off the engine and covered it up. Only problem I had was a dead battery b/c I wasnt aware it would search for the key fob and be dead in a couple weeks. If you look in most owners manuals, storing is over a year. If you are going to not drive the car for a year or more there are steps you need to take but just for a few months, not necessary. Just park it.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I fill my Harley and I will fill my SS. Use Stabil, treat the gas and then drive it for a couple of miles to get the treated gas into the fuel injectors. If the injectors get clogged by untreated gasoline you will have a problem. The untreated gas turns into jelly. Also, let it sit for the entire time. Do not start it occasionally. Doing that causes moisture to form in the engine. Use a battery tender to keep it fully charged. discharged batteries can freeze and crack causing a real mess.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
fill it full, add a bottle of Sta-bil and Iso-heet.

unless you are storing it in a climate controlled building, then you wont need the Iso-heet
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
full tank. sta-bil. done!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Ditto -- All Boats that are winter stored are done so with a full tank + Sta-Bil. And all boats have plastic tanks. You will get condensation/water in the fuel if its not topped off. Also marine engines are recommended to change Oil, so as not to leave any contaminants sitting in the sump...not sure how/if applies here, worth a thought if its near due.
markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
Another thing to think about is to try, if you can, and stay away from gas that has ethanol in it. I know this year I stored a boat and a lawn mower and had problems with both, Took them to 2 different places to get fixed and 2 different technicians said the same thing. Its the gas. I also filled each 1 at a different place. They both said stay away from ethanol fuel.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Full tank to keep condesation from occuring and fuel stabilzer to keep it from going stale and losing octane.
+1
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Oliver View Post
I've heard two schools of thought on the amount of gas that should be left in the car when storing for the winter. I had heard that a full tank is best so condensation doesn't form and rust the tank but on the flip side someone mentioned the Camaro doesn't have a gas tank made of metal so rust isn't an issue and a 1/4 is best so when you take the car out of storage you fill the tank and the 3/4 of fresh gas mix with the old and you are better off.

I am parking my Camaro this Saturday and am not sure if I should put a full tank or 1/4 tank. I will be putting in fuel stabilizer regardless.
Phil,

Here is a link to a website that outlines vehicle storage.
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html
Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Oliver View Post

As Full as you can get it and in a climate controlled garage if possible...
I left about a half a can of gas out in my utility building last fall, well when I went to put that gas in my lawn mower there was quite a bit of water in it and I had to drain about a quart of gas out of the mower before I could get it to run.. A car gas tank is much larger so I would imagine condensation would be much greater, but I did keep my El Camino full last winter (it sat outside) and I used fuel stabilizer, I never had a problem starting it this spring.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
OK... my "other" car sat like this last winter...

Nothing in the tank except some gas. Started right up in spring no issue and this thing is 20 years old! Granted this year it will be in the garage...

but I think you are all going overboard. To each his own but you are going to start freaking people out that they are going to ruin their car if they dont do all kinds of crap. I just park them. Its only a few months!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I hear all this stabil talk. I remember growing up in Michigan and keeping the lawn mower
in the garage. We never did anything to the mower over the winter. Spring comes and the mower fires right up, and ran for years. We had that mower a long time. She started up every time. Now this stabil stuff comes out, at least I haven't heard of it until like 10 years ago and all of a sudden you got to use this or your gas will go bad. This has just never been the case for me with any gasoline powered machines. Now as far as my car goes, yes it will be stored for the winter, but on nice days and dry roads
it will be driven and I'm not doing any thing other than keeping it on
a battery tender.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechuck View Post
Another thing to think about is to try, if you can, and stay away from gas that has ethanol in it. I know this year I stored a boat and a lawn mower and had problems with both, Took them to 2 different places to get fixed and 2 different technicians said the same thing. Its the gas. I also filled each 1 at a different place. They both said stay away from ethanol fuel.
What kind of problems did you get from ethanol?
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote