Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
When to upgrade

I am going to get the GMPP intake some time soon for my Camaro, and was wondering if it is best to install it before or after breaking the car in?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
I am going to get the GMPP intake some time soon for my Camaro, and was wondering if it is best to install it before or after breaking the car in?
Interesting question. And I also wonder where the line is for voiding the warranty with mods. I doubt the intake would void it, but still. gotta be careful.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Interesting question. And I also wonder where the line is for voiding the warranty with mods. I doubt the intake would void it, but still. gotta be careful.
Yeah thanks for the warranty warning. I asked about this a while ago and said it wouldn't since it is a GM product and pretty minor but it would be good to double check.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Yeah thanks for the warranty warning. I asked about this a while ago and said it wouldn't since it is a GM product and pretty minor but it would be good to double check.
I just read in another thread that it would clearly void the warranty for the original intake, and if any damage to the engine occurs from the aftermarket intake, it will not be covered. Which you have to be careful about, because I am sure they would be eager to bullshit you and tell you that the intake was the problem.

Anyway, i wish somebody that knows would answer this already.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
I just read in another thread that it would clearly void the warranty for the original intake, and if any damage to the engine occurs from the aftermarket intake, it will not be covered. Which you have to be careful about, because I am sure they would be eager to bullshit you and tell you that the intake was the problem.

Anyway, i wish somebody that knows would answer this already.
thing is, nobody knows because every dealership is different in how they handle these situations.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
thing is, nobody knows because every dealership is different in how they handle these situations.
talkin about the original question. not the warranty issue, which was just a side concern of mine.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
Well, if you add an intake, and removed the MAF screen, you could have a bigger engine damage potential... Don't do stupid things to void your warranty!
MAF screen? English translation.... ?

Semper Fi!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
MAF screen? English translation.... ?
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. It's one of several sensors used by the ECU to determine the mass of air entering the engine. If the mass of air is known, the engine can determine the proper amount of fuel required to produce a "perfect" combustion, at a ratio of 14.7:1. That means (basically) for one gram of fuel (or one unit of mass), 14.7 grams (or 14.7 times as much air mass) is required for a "perfect" combustion. This is called the stoichiometric ratio.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), I think the LS engine series uses a cold wire MAF sensor. These are different from the old hot wire sensors. The hot wire sensors used a screen, which restricted airflow. The newer cold wire sensors use 3 wires, one of which only goes half way across, which tend to flow better than the old screen styles. So I don't think there's a screen to remove on the LS3/L99. However if I"m wrong, someone PLEASE correct me. I did a quick search for a pic, but couldn't find one. If you look at the aftermarket sensors, you'll notice they all use the coldwire style, because they flow better. GM realized this and I THINK uses this style on all their engines now. Anyone know for sure? Spike, this seems like the kind of question you're good for answering.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
English....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. It's one of several sensors used by the ECU to determine the mass of air entering the engine. If the mass of air is known, the engine can determine the proper amount of fuel required to produce a "perfect" combustion, at a ratio of 14.7:1. That means (basically) for one gram of fuel (or one unit of mass), 14.7 grams (or 14.7 times as much air mass) is required for a "perfect" combustion. This is called the stoichiometric ratio.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), I think the LS engine series uses a cold wire MAF sensor. These are different from the old hot wire sensors. The hot wire sensors used a screen, which restricted airflow. The newer cold wire sensors use 3 wires, one of which only goes half way across, which tend to flow better than the old screen styles. So I don't think there's a screen to remove on the LS3/L99. However if I"m wrong, someone PLEASE correct me. I did a quick search for a pic, but couldn't find one. If you look at the aftermarket sensors, you'll notice they all use the coldwire style, because they flow better. GM realized this and I THINK uses this style on all their engines now. Anyone know for sure? Spike, this seems like the kind of question you're good for answering.
The factory chokes them down to make emissions and MPG standards..and oh yeah warranty time frames
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
As long as you do not go internal on the engine, 50 state street legal parts should not void your warranty, unless the dealership are dicks about the repair in question.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
You don't have to wait for break in. I'm doing this mod as well. Gotta get that ugly intake off this beautiful car. Yes, I am mainly doing it for cosmetic purposes. You won't notice any difference in power at all.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Its just a cold are intake and wont make much difference. Plus it just bolts on, so its not like you cant put the stock intake back on if something happens and the dealer is a prick.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Good info! thanks for the english ^^. And wont make much difference = 5hp?

Semper Fi!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #14
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
If you are going with the GMPP intake and have it installed before you take delivery of the car then it will be covered under your warranty. If you do it later then it will not. Be very wary when using 3rd party mods right away. I would check with your dealer first. Legally you should be able to do them and it would just void the warranty on the part you are replacing. The dealership should have to prove without any doubt that any damage was a result of the 3rd part part if they are going to not cover it.GMPP are way overpriced right now. I hope they will come down soon.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote