Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Natikal
NXTIME

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
cat back or axle back???

I plan to get the Borla ATAK and also plan to do headers down the road but want some sound for now. Should i get the axle or cat back system? Also if only the axle back then what pipe for the center when i put headers on? Thanks for the help in advanced.
Natikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
SC2PRKR
2012 SS 45th Just Arrived

Drives: 2014 Z71 Silverado
I got the MagnaFlow CatBack System JDP Motorsports and I love the sound, the power and how simple it was to install.
SC2PRKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Khmero215

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
I went Borla catback, sound is just ok
Khmero215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
I went with MagnaFlow 16580 catback. Awesome sound, loud and aggressive.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Natikal
NXTIME

Okay thank you all for the input. However it is not the exhaust brand or anything like that at this point, it is that i dont want to spend more on a cat back just to change out out the center pipe when i put headers on. So wondering if cat or axle back is better when headers are going to be put on and then what pipe do i use once the headers are on? h pipe? x pipe? thanks again all for the feedback, it is nice to know what every one is running.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
definitely go catback
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Op, I moved this to the V-8 exhaust bolt on section...

I feel like you would be better suited with a cat back system... but a lot depends on future plans...

I personally got an axle back since I didn't know at the time if I was going for the twin turbo's or for a supercharger down the road...

It turned out to be a good decision...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
what are your goals??? mainly sound? save some money and do axle back. lotssof mods later down the road?Cam, blower, etc? Do a full cat back now or you will be doinf one later. I did a muffler delete, then resononater de;ete, then x pipe. All that peiced together ended up being close to the catback price...now I am cammed and bought headers back exhaust. I could have saved a few dollars if I went with a name brand cat back in the first place.
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
I don't have it so I hope I am not talking out my a___, but from what I have read the ATAK gets just too loud once headers go on. Might want to spend some more time listening to systems before you spend your money. I like loud, but I don't want to wake the dead.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Dont waste money on a cat back.....get axel back or swap mufflers. You have a perfectly good 2.5" dual exhaust system on you car. I dont understand all the money spent to replace 2.5" tubing with 2.5" tubing. Unless you are blasting 600hp+ you're not going to need any larger.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_man View Post
I plan to get the Borla ATAK and also plan to do headers down the road but want some sound for now. Should i get the axle or cat back system? Also if only the axle back then what pipe for the center when i put headers on? Thanks for the help in advanced.
A aftermarket catback connects to your cats the exact same way the OEM catback does. When you get LT's you'll either get highflow cats or catless mids that will bridge the gap between the LT's and whatever catback you have.

Personally, I don't understand why people spend the extra $$ to replace perfectly good 2.5in pipes with different 2.5in pipes. If you just want 304SS instead of the OEM 409SS, then so be it. Both will last the life of the car.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Natikal
NXTIME

okay great that is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you all for the replies it is greatly helpful. So sounds like i dont need the cat back unless i go 3 inch which i dont plan on doing a super charger or turbo anytime soon and if i ever did i am sure i would have some more money to change the pipe out as well. Also i have heard high flow cats do not make a difference and are a waste of money. Also i believe in Michigan you must have cats on your vehicle, maybe someone could correct me if i am wrong.i dont mind taking the cats out all together but dont want to get myself into trouble. Thanks again for all the replies seems like a really great community here.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
dont worry about cats in Michigan.

also Atak gets really raspy with headers. Axle back or not. i would look into S-type.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Natikal
NXTIME

okay awesome, thanks. Is there anyone in Detroit Metro Area that has an exhaust i could hear on there car? I am so torn between exhausts. I want it to be loud and throaty when i get on it but not crazy loud when i am just cruising down the road. Most say the borla touring is good for this but it is so much like the stock it may not be worth it. i have listened to many youtube videos and like the magnaflow and jba the best. how ever youtube isn't very accurate.