Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Ashen1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Got my windows tinted and they scratched both quarter panels...

So I went to a local shop amd got my windows tinted. Fairly cheap I thought 189+ tax. it was kind of a crappy day so I didn't take a good look at my car when it was done. Took it home and parked it. Drove it the next day got out and noticed something on the qp looked closer a bunch of little scratches walked around to the other side and scratches in the same spot but quite a bit bigger. Needless to say I am quite pissed.

My car has 550 miles on it. The guy tells me that could have happened anywhere. I said on both sides and the same spot. Then proceeded to tell me they where not consistent with the work they did. So my buddy was with me (to keep me from ripping some punk over a counter and dragging them outside and introducing them to my fist, feet and concrete) and says I know you lay it out on the outside to cut it. The guy proceeds to tell him he doesn't knoe anything about tinting and goes to demonstrate and nearly rubs up against my car again in the same spot. So he says you almost did it again! He proceeded to change his tune a bit. So now thwy said they want me to come back and they will prob take care of it but not sure what that will take. Even if they "fix it" it doesn't make it better or change the fact that they scratched my brand new 1LE.

So if you get your windows tinted make sure you tell them to watch out for the quarter panels.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashen1le; 04-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Ashen1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
That sucks! And yes, they place the tint on the outside of the car and cut the shape before they put it on the windows inside. With out seeing a picture it could be because of the flared quarters that stick out further than the windows that this was a zipper, belt buckle or a button when yet leaned on the car. If it is just below the glass it is most likely front them cutting the tint.

Either way do not back down a press foward with the shop for them to cover the repair. Do no let them try to fix it or it could get worse.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
I take mine where they do Ferraris and Lambos.
but 189 bucks.. not for a good job around here..
my Ceramic was nearly 350 but the job shows it's quality.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Ashen1le

It is right about at the level of the gas cap but on both sides. Looks like either pants zipper or those little metal things on the edge of your pocket. I am definitely hesitant on letting them "fix" it. I think most of the scratches will come out with a polishing wheel but they couldnt even tint my car without messing it up why do I think they wont mess that up as well.

The only small positive of the situation is I got on the freeway behind a 13' Mustang 5.0 on my way back to the tint shop. I was already fired up so I noticed he got on it on the on ramp so I followed suit. I know for a fact the Mustangs run... but I will just say he didnt outrun me. Took me a minute to real him in as he was in front and got on it first but I pulled him in. I went by at about 110 and lifted at about 115mph. To his credit he might have lifted for a brief second but got back on it. That made me feel a little better because I know mustangs are a little faster on paper.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Sorry to hear OP, that sucks. Like someone mentioned, keep pressing for a resolution.

For anyone contemplating doing this, do a thorough walk through with the manager of the shop before proceeding! If they fail to adhere to your standards, find another shop who will.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
nevrenz

Drives: 2011 RED Camaro
[QUOTE=Dropspeed;6454792]That sucks! And yes, they place the tint on the outside of the car and cut the shape before they put it on the windows inside. QUOTE]

They still cut the tint outside the car? Dang that was back in the day. My buddys shop cuts them using a laser hooked to a PC. they type in the car and it automaticly cuts the perfect size/shape of tint without having to cut it on the car.
nevrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Someone wasn't paying attention. They should only need to cut on the car if they haven't made any templates. So they are lazy and haven't made any templates, or it was their first Camaro.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Toxikk
Lead Dev for Autoblog.com

Drives: GBA 13 2SS/1LE (Medusa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Sorry to hear OP, that sucks. Like someone mentioned, keep pressing for a resolution.

For anyone contemplating doing this, do a thorough walk through with the manager of the shop before proceeding! If they fail to adhere to your standards, find another shop who will.
amen. luckily ill be taking mine to a trusted shop, but damn if i did not watch them do a toyota celica before i let them do the one i bought a few years ago. will most likely watch them do a camaro before i let them touch mine. mofos need to
Toxikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
Thats unfortunate man!!! Im a Manager of a Local tint/audio shop. Myself, I have been tinting for 15 years now. 10 years by hand, And 5 with a plotter that cuts all my patterns. I can honestly say that I take extra care while doing the rear window of ANY car, And I make Damn sure that I have nothing resting on the car while shrinking the rear film...

I can almost guarantee that the marks on your quarter panel is from the extension cord of the heatgun they were using on your back window. While he was leaning up and over your car shrinking your back glass the cord was moving up and down and rubbing the crap out of it. I have seen it done before by other tinters. When I am shrinking the rear I have the cord draped over my back and then it comes up and over between my neck and shoulder that way it doesnt ever have a chance to touch the car.
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Man, that sucks. I would be pissed as well. I wouldn't let them take car of it though.
What I would do is, get some estimates and have a professional detailer take care of it for you. Do you trust them after the quarter panels? I wouldn't. Maybe I'm too cynical.
Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Ashen1le

No I cant say that I really trust them at all at this point. However I dont know what they are going to do for me. Maybe they will pay for a detailer however I am sure they will just want to do it themselves. I messed with the driver side a little today just to see if I could get them out and I think if I had a polishing wheel I would have got them out all the way but heres a few pics.

Driver Side after I used a Cleaner, polish then wax.

Passenger Side untouched.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashen1le; 04-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
^^^ actually I get the "O" with the slash through them.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
It's heart breaking but I'd avoid painting. That should rub out and what doesn't should cover up nicely as is not that deep. Let a pro do it or do it by hand. I don't trust anyone with my car. I love the color by the way.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
Ashen1le

Thank you. I liked the color but I was unsure when I ordered it the more I have it and see it person I love the color. It has many different looks depending on the type of light you have.