Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Smile Ed Peper confirms New Camaro engine to have 400+ HP V8 w. AFM and 300+ HP V6

In an interview Jim Mateja (an automotive journalist for almost 40 years) conducted with Ed Pepper of GM, the following was said.

Quote:
Peper said only the coupe will be offered for the first nine months of the model’s life, with a choice of a 400-plus-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 or a 300-plus-hp, 3.6-liter V-6. He said mostly V-8s will be produced, for enthusiasts eager to get their hands on the first ones off the assembly line.

The rest of the interview (below) is old news, but this is the first time I've seen anyone talk about the HP rating of the V8.

Quote:
For months, Chevrolet has hinted that the remake of the Camaro sport coupe would arrive in January of next year as a 2009 model, but Chevy general manager Ed Peper says, nope, it will go into production in February of next year and won’t be in showrooms until March 2009 — as a 2010 model.

Rather than a January intro and a short 2009 model run before switching to a 2010 designation in the fall, the Camaro will have a long run as a 2010 model before switching to a 2011 designation in the fall of 2010.

Peper said only the coupe will be offered for the first nine months of the model’s life, with a choice of a 400-plus-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 or a 300-plus-hp, 3.6-liter V-6. He said mostly V-8s will be produced, for enthusiasts eager to get their hands on the first ones off the assembly line.

The convertible will be added at the end of 2009, also as a 2010 model.

To silence those who gripe about the debut of a new higher-performance sports coupe and soft-top convertible in the face of soaring gas prices, Peper pointed out that both engines will offer cylinder-deactivation technology to shut off either three or four cylinders when they aren’t needed, to conserve gas. No hybrid is in the works.

Peper said dealers will probably start taking orders for the Camaro later this summer, but he wouldn't give a specific date when consumers can ink a contract.

GM vice chairman Bob Lutz forecast Camaro sales will top 100,000 units a year. Peper agrees, but said Chevy can't reach those numbers until both the coupe and the convertible are available.

Peper also announced that in a matter of weeks Chevy will begin offering its midsize Malibu sedan with a 169-hp, 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine teamed with a six-speed automatic transmission. The sedan will be rated at 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is very close to the Malibu Hybrid’s 24/32 mpg.

The four-cylinder/six-speed Malibu will start at $26,245, which is about $4,000 more than the hybrid, because it willl be offered on the top-of-the-line LTZ trim level, which has the most standard equipment, while the hybrid is offered on the lower LT1 trim level.

At least now Chevy can say it offers a hybrid at a lower price than a gas engine car.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...maro.html#more
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I guess there is this to: the V6 also gets AFM and they plan to sell 100k per year.

Quote:
To silence those who gripe about the debut of a new higher-performance sports coupe and soft-top convertible in the face of soaring gas prices, Peper pointed out that both engines will offer cylinder-deactivation technology to shut off either three or four cylinders when they aren’t needed, to conserve gas. No hybrid is in the works.

Peper said dealers will probably start taking orders for the Camaro later this summer, but he wouldn't give a specific date when consumers can ink a contract.

GM vice chairman Bob Lutz forecast Camaro sales will top 100,000 units a year. Peper agrees, but said Chevy can't reach those numbers until both the coupe and the convertible are available.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's "Peper", not "pepper". He's not a condiment.

And yeah - that's some juicy stuff!!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
yeah, thats all good and well, but taking Peper with a grain of salt (sorry, couldnt resist)

he also said this

Quote:
For months, Chevrolet has hinted that the remake of the Camaro sport coupe would arrive in January of next year as a 2009 model, but Chevy general manager Ed Peper says, nope, it will go into production in February of next year and won’t be in showrooms until March 2009 — as a 2010 model.

Rather than a January intro and a short 2009 model run before switching to a 2010 designation in the fall, the Camaro will have a long run as a 2010 model before switching to a 2011 designation in the fall of 2010.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
6.0 liter???

That doesn't really make sense does it? Unless we're talking something we don't know about... Gen V(they aren't supposed to be ready in time for the camaro)

As far as engines we do know about, the LS2 or L76 are 6.0L but the LS2 has already been eliminated as an option.

So we're left with the L76 as the only "known" V8 engine... Hmmmmm I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet. The good news is we know that 400 is the minimum V8 hp number and that's a great start.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Hmmmmmmmm.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Doesn't 6.0 pretty much confirm the engine will be a L76, because isn't the LS2 going out of production. I wonder what they are going to do to push a 361hp engine >400hp
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
6.0 liter???

That doesn't really make sense does it?
Come now, we've had this conversation before on the boards, have we not? That the L76 is extremely tamed in the G8?

But, now I'm curious. 3whiterag...what does "hmmmmmmmm" mean?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Thinking about it I agree. Just doesn't make sense. The G8 GXP is getting an LS3. You would think that the camaro wouldn't be upped by the G8 in the engine dept.

Hmmmm indeed.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Come now, we've had this conversation before on the boards, have we not? That the L76 is extremely tamed in the G8?
Dragon, don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to the L76. I was just hoping for something in the 6.2 lineup. Mostly cus the aftermarket possibilities are yummy. Not bashing the L76 at all. Good engine, lots of untapped capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But, now I'm curious. 3whiterag...what does "hmmmmmmmm" mean?
+1

Sup?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Coolio! So even the V6 will have cylinder deactivation. Also, besides the LS2 that we know is dead, what 6.0L V8 makes more than 400 hp. I would guess that its the LS6 like in the G8 but tuned for performance. NICE!!!!

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
Coolio! So even the V6 will have cylinder deactivation. Also, besides the LS2 that we know is dead, what 6.0L V8 makes more than 400 hp. I would guess that its the LS6 like in the G8 but tuned for performance. NICE!!!!
Look up a bit. you might have missed it while you were writing your post. We think the L76 fits...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Dragon, I'm still with you, I don't think Gen V's are an option for the first year. I mean you found some good information that says they won't be ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Thinking about it I agree. Just doesn't make sense. The G8 GXP is getting an LS3. You would think that the camaro wouldn't be upped by the G8 in the engine dept.

Hmmmm indeed.
And big +1 blingingillusion.

As far as the article is concerned, I'm feeling a bit sceptical. When and where did Mr. Peper say this. The engine information is the only new news. Everything else is old news... There isn't any source information that I can find..... I've seen on GMInsideNews that Jim Mateja had an interview with Ed Peper. That's all I can find as of now. I'll keep looking.

Quote:
Yes, he spoke to Ed Peper yesterday at an event in suburban Chicago. Not sure why it's not "news" but glad its being discussed.
Quote:
Jim Mateja interviewed Ed Peper. He's been an automotive journalist for almost 40 years (might be more!). I don't think he'd turn in a piece to us that was knowingly false in any way.
Apparently Peper mispoke on the 3.9 V6.

Quote:
Just spoke to Jim. And then we had to call GM. Peper misspoke. He said 3.9 but it is the same 3.6 liter as in the Traverse. Sorry for the confusion.
I guess it's the real deal.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
i really thought it was going to be some sort of smaller displacement gen v. in fact, i really really want a gen v. i might as well go with a goat if it's just gona get some g8 engine. not to bash it, but i wanted something really new. i am impressed with the v6 numbers. any bets how bad the 6 is gona spank the stang gt? lol beautiful.
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote