Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have a few comments

First off, yes I also feel like the car is underwhelming as far as looks is concerned. Its not bad looking, but not what we want either. That said, just throwing on a more aggressive set of wheels on this car will do wonders. Trust me on this. (those stock wheels are stinkers) But yes, in a perfect world it would have slightly different styling and better wheels.

I think the interior is good. I believe the performance aspect will be good. LT1 would have made this car more special though.

Second...I don't really expect Chevy to advertise this car much at all. Their sales projectionss are what...1,500 - 3,000 units in the first year??? Would that even pay for one TV spot?? This car is NOT expected to sell a ton...it will be a very limited club of owners that is for sure sold to enthusiasts that actually want the car.

But therein lies the project...as enthusiasts we wanted more, but we didn't really get it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
From a mechanical standpoint, this sedan should be excellent. It has the LS3 and (hopefully) a six speed auto and an independent rear suspension. If the suspension is tuned optimally for handling then this sedan should be a very competent performer.

However, personally I am worried that Chevy and GM aren't putting enough of a push on the promotiion of the SS sedan. From the start, it certainly has its work cut out for it; That work being a direct competitor to the Mopar sedans. The Mopars are IMO stacked with options, power and appearance packages that almost overwhelm a potential car shopper. The SS, in comparison, seems a tad underprepared in going against the mopars.

As far as the appearance, I feel that the SS sedan needs work. The grille and aft trim details are busy and its hard to get a flavor of what a true to the art "SS" looks like with this example. Its a combination of a european and japanese composition that wants to be recognized as an american performance car. Additionally, I am not seeing that dominant presence from this sedan as I did from the '94-'96 Impala from 20 years ago.

While I have high hopes for the SS sedan, I feel that Chevy will need to promote and improve its appearance in order for it to be a success.
Damn good assessment there.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #31
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have a few comments

First off, yes I also feel like the car is underwhelming as far as looks is concerned. Its not bad looking, but not what we want either. That said, just throwing on a more aggressive set of wheels on this car will do wonders. Trust me on this. (those stock wheels are stinkers) But yes, in a perfect world it would have slightly different styling and better wheels.

I think the interior is good. I believe the performance aspect will be good. LT1 would have made this car more special though.

Second...I don't really expect Chevy to advertise this car much at all. Their sales projectionss are what...1,500 - 3,000 units in the first year??? Would that even pay for one TV spot?? This car is NOT expected to sell a ton...it will be a very limited club of owners that is for sure sold to enthusiasts that actually want the car.

But therein lies the project...as enthusiasts we wanted more, but we didn't really get it.
The Camaro will exudes passion in design and performance. GM gave us something special. I agree with you completely in that they did not give us what we wanted in this package. The rear end is no more distinctive than that of a Malibu. For 43 grand starting I have to love the whole package. No concessions should be made at this price point when Chrysler has everything this car lacks plus 55 more hp.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #32
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
They're calling this the first true performance rear wheel drive with a Chevy badge in 17 years I believe.

Who is saying that? The dealer?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
What is the deal with all new cars (except the muscle/pony ones) looking so vanilla? I just don't like it. I want to be able to identify the car's distinct shape from a distance long before I can see the MFG badging. But unfortunately, these days you have to wait to see the badge before you can tell what brand car you are looking at. There needs to be a coupe version of this car & a sportier shape. I like even my daily driver cars to be sexy. Just IMHO
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Interior from the pics looks gorgeous. However, the outside is just bleh. It needs a bit more of a sportier look to it....reminds me of a malibu

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I heard this car is the booyah in the malibuyah!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Damn good assessment there.
Thanks I try lol!!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I walked by one of these sitting in the dealership and didn't even notice it until I was walking back the other way. Not an attention grabbing car at all. It doesn't look sporty or aggressive.

It seems to me there are two reasons for this car

1) Get Chevy back in the V8, RWD market.
2) Give Chevy an excuse for not making them anymore. If this doesn't sell well, they could say "look, we tried and no one wants it".
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #38
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I walked by one of these sitting in the dealership and didn't even notice it until I was walking back the other way. Not an attention grabbing car at all. It doesn't look sporty or aggressive.

It seems to me there are two reasons for this car

1) Get Chevy back in the V8, RWD market.
2) Give Chevy an excuse for not making them anymore. If this doesn't sell well, they could say "look, we tried and no one wants it".

I believe point number two is what GM is doing. Its very obvious they didnt try at all with this car! They just threw some Chevy badges on it and said you want it here it is, knowing most people wouldnt like it. That way in a year or two they can say well we tried sorry.

I have wanted this car since the G8 went away. If i had been in a better spot when the G8's were out i would have bought one. I made plans to buy this car once i heard it was coming, after seeing it there is no way I would spend 45K+ on this car.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I wonder if the engine cover for the SS is a direct swap on the Camaro?
I was looking at that too,lol
Old 11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
The rear end really looks uninspiring.
Toyota camry anyone?

I'm underwhelmed by it as well...it's a great platform and engine, love the seats/dash, but nothing else. I get that it's a sports sedan but it could have been a bit more exciting. If I didn't know what it was already I would think it's just another updated impala/malibu.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
snackbar64

Something's fishy here. You don't come up with a design for the Camaro and new Stingray without seriously trying with some sleepless nights in between. The Chevy SS looks thrown together.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
They should have saved all of the effort and work that they did on this and gave us a new chevelle.