Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
blackgloves

Drives: 1987 Iroc Z/28
Parts from GM (cam and heads etc)

When I go buy my new Camaro, will GM have heads and cam to install the day I buy it?

I know with the Super charged Cobalt you could buy the car and have them put a Stage II kit (pulley etc) on the car and it not void your warranty

If anyone has the parts (numbers and link to the site) Id like to look around. I wanna keep my warranty and go with a different cam and hopefully a set of heads to match it the day I buy my car

thanks in advance for the info
blackgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Again. We dont even have engine info released yet. So we dont have part data yet either.

But if its a Ls3 or variant of, I expect the GM hot cam will be popular but I dont think i will keep your warranty. I heard that Gm will have a full accessory line from the launch, but it wasnt clear if that meant performance or bling. I think it was bling and little things for performance like the current Mustang has (Drag Pack, Handling Pack), which basically will prolly consist of a Ripshift, axle-back exhaust option, springs/shocks/struts option package, and some form of GMPP CAI or ram air option. That just guess and speculation.

But stick around on 5th gen forums and you will learn as we all do.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
actually, any GM performance part installed by a dealer will not void your warranty. However most dealers don't keep too much of that stuff in stock, but my dealership can typically get anything within 72 hours.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't think there are many dealers that would carry a lot of those kinds of parts this side of Scoggin' or the like. I believe there is an actual list of GMPP authorized dealerships listed on GMPP's website. Maybe have a look and give them a shout.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
actually, any GM performance part installed by a dealer will not void your warranty. However most dealers don't keep too much of that stuff in stock, but my dealership can typically get anything within 72 hours.
So you are saying your dealership will install a LS3 Hot cam into a car without voiding the warranty if the labor is done in house at the dealership?

GM must be more badass than I thought. Ive never heard that. I heard they warranty the part not the car. Learn something new everyday.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
So you are saying your dealership will install a LS3 Hot cam into a car without voiding the warranty if the labor is done in house at the dealership?
Read carefully, he said any part installed not any part will be installed. I'm sure there is a list of do's and don'ts for dealership installs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
blackgloves

Drives: 1987 Iroc Z/28
thanks.. yeah I figured a hot cam installed by the dealer would keep my warranty. If its made by GM normally or always it holds the warranty as long as a Certified tech at a GM dealer installed it. I was hoping maybe some GM heads Example: ZO6 heads or something would work or be available? ive been out of the loop for awhile. Everything Ive built or toyed with in the last 5 or 6 years has not been off the LS platform. But boy do I miss that platform.
blackgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgloves View Post
thanks.. yeah I figured a hot cam installed by the dealer would keep my warranty. If its made by GM normally or always it holds the warranty as long as a Certified tech at a GM dealer installed it. I was hoping maybe some GM heads Example: ZO6 heads or something would work or be available? ive been out of the loop for awhile. Everything Ive built or toyed with in the last 5 or 6 years has not been off the LS platform. But boy do I miss that platform.
If the LS3 is used why swap to the LS7 heads? the L92 heads are the SH**. Believe me with very little porting on those heads they will make wonderful power. and the L92's are what's on the LS3. I've been doing a lot of research on this because I've been looking at getting an engine built for my 98. I would pick the l92's over the ls7 any day of the week. cheaper and produce just as much power.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Plus its optimized between 3.988''-4.065'' bore. The LS2s (has 4.000'' bored, snug in the middle) get a big benefit from just a unported swap alone. LS7 heads on a LS3 would be like putting LS3/L92 heads on a LS1/LS6.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
LS7 heads won't fit on anything less than like a 4.125-inch hole.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
and L92's 4.010 bore.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Plus its optimized between 3.988''-4.065'' bore. The LS2s (has 4.000'' bored, snug in the middle) get a big benefit from just a unported swap alone. LS7 heads on a LS3 would be like putting LS3/L92 heads on a LS1/LS6.
won't fit. . .but L92 heads will fit on a 6.0L LQ9 block. . .with a mild cam, headers, L76 intake you can hit 500 hp with very little effort.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
won't fit. . .but L92 heads will fit on a 6.0L LQ9 block. . .with a mild cam, headers, L76 intake you can hit 500 hp with very little effort.
They fit the LS2 block. Here a link related to the subject:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=L92+heads

Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Was speaking from a flow number stand point. Only thing Ive heard of a LS7 head on, was a LS7 or a LSX block.