Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Block Heater Options?

Does anyone know why GM is not offering the optional block heater on the V-8 (SS) models and only on the V-6? I'm going to need one on my SS!!! Right now at work the temp is -33F (-60 wind chill)!!! I think that warrants an investment in a block heater!!! Anyway I just wasn't sure if there was some restriction or reason that a block heater could not be installed on these new LS engines. Lastly, if I decide to do something aftermarket for a block heater, what are my options? I'd like something a little better than those "flaky" dipstick heaters. I'm just not sure if these new engines have freeze plugs in them like the old school engines or what. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
i dont know man-im in ny aand its ognna be around 13 degrees here on friday-errrr dam man thats cold for me-i feel for you

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
Alaska Chony69
Chony69

Drives: 2003 2500HD Silverado
Why not Minot

Why not Minot, freezing the reason.... I don't know about you but this MSgt(ret) is putting mine to rest during the winter. There is no way im driving my baby on the roads up here in Anchorage during the winter....
Alaska Chony69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Chony69 View Post
Why not Minot, freezing the reason.... I don't know about you but this MSgt(ret) is putting mine to rest during the winter. There is no way im driving my baby on the roads up here in Anchorage during the winter....
I would definitely prefer to put my Camaro away for the winter too, but I'm not sure if that will be an option for me. I don't think I'll be able to financially support having three vehicles (Camaro + my truck + wife's car). I know everyone is going to say "just get a beater for the winter". But man, up here in this cold, a "beater" just doesn't cut it. You've gotta have something very reliable with a darn good heater. So it's quite possible I may have to drive my Camaro in the winter (yes, I'll get some good winter tires, or at least all-season). But I'm just trying to figure out what I can do about a block heater. Definitely don't want my new LS3 to crack!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
blazzin1, I'm still trying to get my mind around 33 degrees below zero!!! Damn....
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
blazzin1

Yeah, it sucks! If anyone wants to hire me, I'm definitely ready to retire and head down South!!! Then I wouldn't need to worry about the dang block heater!!! LOL!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
I would think that option would be on the car. Let me look at the book
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I would definitely prefer to put my Camaro away for the winter too, but I'm not sure if that will be an option for me. I don't think I'll be able to financially support having three vehicles (Camaro + my truck + wife's car). I know everyone is going to say "just get a beater for the winter". But man, up here in this cold, a "beater" just doesn't cut it. You've gotta have something very reliable with a darn good heater. So it's quite possible I may have to drive my Camaro in the winter (yes, I'll get some good winter tires, or at least all-season). But I'm just trying to figure out what I can do about a block heater. Definitely don't want my new LS3 to crack!!!
My son was stationed at Minot for 5+ years. He took his 1999 Pontiac Sunfire and it NEVER failed him. Of course he used 0-20 Mobil 1 in the winter, installed a brand new Sears Die Hard and we had a block heater installed.

Of course some interior trim pieces (frozen so hard) shattered which he never replace. But GM should offer an optional Block Heater. It's cheap insurance for folks that live and work in our northern tier states.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
5thGenAnyone?
I'm thirsty

Drives: 1 speed bike
Yup ooo yup. it's -30F right now and my car won't start. called a buddy for a ride, his diesel won't start. Sisters car doors are frozen shut too. looks like im breakin out the ole' two wheeler lol
5thGenAnyone? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Man thats freezing. And you americans think we Canadians live in cold temperatures. Its 50 F here in Edmonton Alberta and getting warmer this weekend. Winter here is milder here than it is down south. Do you guys live in igloos? hehe
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You can get a magnetic block heater.

Aye and yes we don't need those down here it's been 70's and sunny for weeks on end in the afternoon. I don't even have heater core in my truck (it's bypassed).

You can also get a remote start. Start it every few hrs to keep it warm.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
But you can't remote start a car with a manual transmission because you have to push the clutch in while you are turning the ignition........that being I'm under the assumption, can someone prove me wrong....

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
But you can't remote start a car with a manual transmission because you have to push the clutch in while you are turning the ignition........that being I'm under the assumption, can someone prove me wrong....
Yes you can, have a remote starter w/ manual. Im not sure exactly how it bypasses the clutch. You also have to not have it in gear or you will stall it.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
Alaska Chony69
Chony69

Drives: 2003 2500HD Silverado
And just think if you lived in Fairbanks AK... It has been at or below -40F(not windchill) for 10 days straight. Not only do you need a block heater, but a battery blanket, and interior heater. Have you ever put an automatic in drive and not have it move for over a minute, until the trans fluid heated up.
Alaska Chony69 is offline   Reply With Quote