Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #253
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You have to remember, gaming is a global market. The US is the ONLY country in the world that has a steady, quality broadband connection to the internet. Even some of the better off countries such as Great Britain and Japan does not have as good a broadband connection as we do. Making the Xbox require a connection every 24 hours, will absolutely kill their global sales. Back when this was still a rumor, I found an article that listed only 2/3's of all 360's and PS3's in the US had internet connection, and only 1/3 of them on the global level.

I really have to disagree with that and so do many of the multi-platform developers but that is a different discussion.

360 is better with ONLINE games because of Live but games in general would have to go to the PS3.
Which makes you wonder why they would even attempt it this way? We all know that THEY know how many people are NOT on broadband so who said "yeah sure, that's a great idea". For me its a non issue because I always have internet connected (unless its down of course) but I just can't wrap my mind around why they would think that was a good idea?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #254
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:

It is nice that we will be able to do that but I'm not so sure I like the way they do it. To have access to this capability you have to install the full game onto the HDD. A blu-ray disc holds 50 gigs of data. A 500 gig HDD will only be able to hold 10 games at most, less if you take into account the space needed for saves and other data. I would much rather prefer to install a few hundred megs and then stream the game from the dev.
I agree. I don't see any reason to install the entire game unless you are downloading the game from the marketplace.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #255
CJ Man
Missing my SS :(

Drives: 2012 Ford Explorer [ :( ]
Whatever, Microsoft and Sony got my money for both new consoles. So I say it's a tie. I like to think I won
CJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #256
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
You have to remember, gaming is a global market. The US is the ONLY country in the world that has a steady, quality broadband connection to the internet. Even some of the better off countries such as Great Britain and Japan does not have as good a broadband connection as we do. Making the Xbox require a connection every 24 hours, will absolutely kill their global sales. Back when this was still a rumor, I found an article that listed only 2/3's of all 360's and PS3's in the US had internet connection, and only 1/3 of them on the global level.

I really have to disagree with that and so do many of the multi-platform developers but that is a different discussion.

360 is better with ONLINE games because of Live but games in general would have to go to the PS3.

It is nice that we will be able to do that but I'm not so sure I like the way they do it. To have access to this capability you have to install the full game onto the HDD. A blu-ray disc holds 50 gigs of data. A 500 gig HDD will only be able to hold 10 games at most, less if you take into account the space needed for saves and other data. I would much rather prefer to install a few hundred megs and then stream the game from the dev.
Maybe u can put the games on the cloud which why u have to be connected at all times maybe
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #257
Avalanche3319

Drives: 2012 Chevy Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
It's tied to your profile. You can go to your profile on a friends console and play your games.
Ah, good to know thanks.
Avalanche3319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #258
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
A good reason to install games you play on the hdd is much faster loading times. In borderlands, loading the game or any dungeon/instance go quite a bit faster if the game is installed on the hdd.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #259
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
A good reason to install games you play on the hdd is much faster loading times. In borderlands, loading the game or any dungeon/instance go quite a bit faster if the game is installed on the hdd.
Hopefully it takes away loading from open world games altogether if the system is fast enough.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #260
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
That is a possibility. They can start buffering info on the next city/block with enough speed to make the whole world seamless.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #261
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
One thing that may be a possibility from what Microsoft is doing to approach used games is the initial pricing of the games. The used market is actually hurting the gaming industry on the publisher side seeing as they only see the fruits of their labor during that initial purchase from us consumers. That loss is one of the big reasons the new game price shot up from 50 to 60 dollars. There is also a rumor that games may see another hike in price going up to 70 dollars. This route that Microsoft has taken may keep games being made for its console down to 60 dollars. Imagine how great they would look then if this scenario does happen. 60 dollar game on Xbox One or same game for ps4 for 70
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #262
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the Xbox one is regional, perhaps you don't need to be connected to the Internet in the regions they are selling Xbox ones in other countries with little or no Internet options...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #263
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Microsoft over reached on this console, in my opinion. I fully loved XB360 over the PS3 but the PS4 unveil last night took square focus at MS and punched them square in the balls.

I have a problem paying for a game and being told what I can and cannot do with my property and with cameras/microphones integrated and always on and listening/watching. Just see how fast it takes for it to be hacked and allow people to spy into homes etc.

Throw into that what happened last night. Sony sealed it when they said that there was no connectivity requirement, that you would be able to share, borrow, take over to a friends house, rent or buy used games on the PS4 and Sony wouldn't get in the way of that. The crowd went ape.

Throw in the cost of the system I think I'm leaning PS4.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #264
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Out of curiosity do you play with no Internet?

Also the publishers still have every right to block used sales of their games by requiring codes. Just because Sony isn't doing it at the system level doesn't mean it won't still happen.

You know your phone, computer, and you Camaro can spy on you. Not saying its right as its definitely not. Just sayin.
Yes, where I live the internet isn't 100% on all the time. So I do a fair amount of gaming offline.

I have no problem with the DEVELOPERS limiting access. However, I take the stance that I am buying a game, not a license to play the game. I liken it to a car. When you buy the car, or phone, or hell almost any other product that isn't software, you can do whatever you want with it and the original manufacturer doesn't get a cut.

Can the argument be made that developer should get a cut of used game sales? yes. Is that the argument I'm making? No.

Yes, my phone and computer and camaro can "spy" on me...there's a difference though, I can set up my own safeguards and systems in place to protect myself from that. You can't do that with consoles. For example, I can limit what information is on my phone and power my phone off at night and it can't be turned on remotely, I can place a sticker over the camera lens and it won't affect the use of the phone. I can power my computer off and its no longer a danger, I can cover any integrated cameras and I can physically remove the integrated microphone with no damage to the computer. You do any of that on the XB1 and it basically becomes a brick.

The "low power use" mode could be used to find a way to remote power on and then you have a camera and microphone sitting in your living room/game room watching and there's no way to know if the system has been compromised.

Just look at the outrage over what the NSA is doing. Just because companies WANT to do it doesn't mean you should just let them.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #265
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post

Yes, my phone and computer and camaro can "spy" on me...there's a difference though, I can set up my own safeguards and systems in place to protect myself from that. You can't do that with consoles. For example, I can limit what information is on my phone and power my phone off at night and it can't be turned on remotely, I can place a sticker over the camera lens and it won't affect the use of the phone. I can power my computer off and its no longer a danger, I can cover any integrated cameras and I can physically remove the integrated microphone with no damage to the computer. You do any of that on the XB1 and it basically becomes a brick.

You can always put the xbox on a power strip and turn it off. Then its dead and can't do anything.

It's totally stupid that you'd have to but its an option.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #266
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
You can always put the xbox on a power strip and turn it off. Then its dead and can't do anything.

It's totally stupid that you'd have to but its an option.
The first part of your response ("It's totally stupid...") is why that shouldn't have to be the way to accomplish it. A person shouldn't have to pull the plug out of the outlet just to ensure that they're not being spied on. That's not even my biggest gripe.

the real biggest gripe is them telling me what I can and cannot do with something I paid good money for at a system level. If the developers want to do that, again, that's fine. I can choose not to buy their games. But when the system developers do it, it begins to severely limit your options. If the PS3/4 wasn't around and the game wasn't available on the Wii U, well then you're basically out of gaming all together.

That shouldn't be the case. Look at it like a DVD/blu ray player, the disc may require you to have an online connection to get access to some secondary, not related to the main content, but the DVD/blu ray player doesn't physically prevent you from watching the movie nor does it require you to download the movie to the console. You can also buy and trade/borrow/rent those discs to friends and the movie studio/dvd manufacturer don't get a cut. It's my property. I will do with it what I want.