Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #71
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
I still say that you should be able to order the Z28, whether its the monster or the racer. What about a hybrid Camaro? Would that satisfy or fit the name "Z28"? Would be a new genereation muscle with close to 30mpg.

I guess it would depend on HP and handling. But, assume that the HP is there, would everyone accept it?
If you could provide me a Z28 with horsepower relative to the SS that featured a hybrid setup, I would be among the first to get one.

I want to see GM muscle cars that are more environmentally friendly than imported compacts because it would bring the market back to the US. :flag2: You can't tell me that this isn't a good idea.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #72
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If you could provide me a Z28 with horsepower relative to the SS that featured a hybrid setup, I would be among the first to get one.

I want to see GM muscle cars that are more environmentally friendly than imported compacts because it would bring the market back to the US. :flag2: You can't tell me that this isn't a good idea.
I'm more against the whole enviornmental deal because it's pushed on me more than I think a hybrid is a great idea. Fuel efficiency is great but I've felt like I have to pay so dearly for the whole movement in my state, so I really resent hybrids. It doesn't make much sense but I can't get past it at this point. But hey, if people want it, BUILD IT

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #73
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
I still say that you should be able to order the Z28, whether its the monster or the racer. What about a hybrid Camaro? Would that satisfy or fit the name "Z28"? Would be a new genereation muscle with close to 30mpg.

I guess it would depend on HP and handling. But, assume that the HP is there, would everyone accept it?
Direct Injection would be great on my VEEEEEEEE ATE
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #74
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
If they can't tax you for driving a gas guzzler, they'll tax you for extra HP or put a legal maximum on your HP. It's been done before. One day they will put something on cars to limit acceleration from a stop *public safety, for the chilllldren*. They just can't keep their hands out of your wallet or away from your motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 97SS View Post
Boy California is going to be REALLY upset if Gm comes out with a 6.2 liter supercharged V8 powered by hydrogen....with the only bi-product being water....lol...then California will pull something out of their a$$ like they always do and come up with some other criteria....like the cars weight can't exceed 3000lbs, but it HAD to have 15 airbags, Computers for everything on the car to make sure it is at optimum operating parameters 100% of the time. Then a diagnostic computer that keeps tabs on the main computer.

Its never ending with California....that state just needs to separate itself from the union or break off and go out into the pacific...

I suspect if you really want to see some awesome cars, move to Europe or better yet our friends down under those Holden guys know how to make stuff go fast.
RCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #75
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I believe the cafe is being raised every couple of years a little bit at a time. I can't remember exactly where I read it but 35 mpg is just the over all ending point. it's like a step process to get there.
I'm having a hard time understanding why GM can't meet the 35MPG Corporate Average. They're already getting rid of all those gas guzzling SUVs that no body wants anymore anyway. Get the Hummer off their corporate average by moving it to a separate company as those things are so pase' anyway, and they should be good to go. Let the high performance vehicles have their time in the sun and drop the dead weight of the SUV. Move to some form of crossover for those who want SUV style but with better fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
^^Probably because Camaro has to have high volume sales. The cars above have earned their right recently to be splurged on by the higher end buyers.
This is true. Once the Camaro becomes a staple for GM once again maybe they can do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
I prefer the LS3 422HP SS. If I want it faster I will boost it to 600HP with a supercharger. Everybody will think its a 422HP SS.

EATING GT's and SRT8's.
This is what I planned to do anyway. I've always been of the mindset that I'll build my own performance. The best case scenario would be for GMPP to offer a "Z/28 Package" that included a supercharger, some suspension goodies, and Z/28 emblems so buyers of SS models could build their own Z/28s. This would be cheaper for the buyer and gets GM out of the CAFE stuff.

So problems solved, GM let me know if you wanna hire me to solve any more problems. Will work for test drives.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #76
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding why GM can't meet the 35MPG Corporate Average. They're already getting rid of all those gas guzzling SUVs that no body wants anymore anyway. Get the Hummer off their corporate average by moving it to a separate company as those things are so pase' anyway, and they should be good to go. Let the high performance vehicles have their time in the sun and drop the dead weight of the SUV. Move to some form of crossover for those who want SUV style but with better fuel economy.
ok you through those out and produce the ZR1 with 20 highway, we all know the CTS-v won't get that heavier and not as aerodynamic, then you through in the camaro. . .yea even worse. so those numbers right there kill it from ever happening.

thank god you left it to SUV's. because we will always need trucks.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #77
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
ok you through those out and produce the ZR1 with 20 highway, we all know the CTS-v won't get that heavier and not as aerodynamic, then you through in the camaro. . .yea even worse. so those numbers right there kill it from ever happening.

thank god you left it to SUV's. because we will always need trucks.
It's an average. So say the target is 35MPG. Hypothetically you have 10 models. 1 is your real gas winner at 50mpg (hybrid electric whatever). Honda has this today, so GM should be able to come up with it. Then you have one in the 45 range, and a few in the 30s. Then you have 2 or 3 that are high performance at 25.

Total is 350 divided by 10 gives you your 35MPG avg.

Now I know that's over simplifying, but it makes the point. Europe has gone this route for years and is fairing just fine. We can do the same if not better. The American car companies are the main ones struggling with these requirements. My 1999 Honda Accord gets 35mpg. It's 10 years old for crying out loud.

My point is build cheap econo boxes for Jack and Jill Sixpack so that the 10% of us that want high performance cars for toys can buy them. It seems simple to me.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #78
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I'm confused....so they can build a super charged Corvette, and a super charged CTS-V, but they can't build a supercharged Camaro? Well, lets all the thank the politicians by replacing them this fall! The market should determine was car makers build, not the government.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #79
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
I'm confused....so they can build a super charged Corvette, and a super charged CTS-V, but they can't build a supercharged Camaro? Well, lets all the thank the politicians by replacing them this fall! The market should determine was car makers build, not the government.
They can, and it is possible that they will. Forced induction is a great way to bring power and fuel efficiency, as is evidenced by the Ford EcoBoost system. Right now, there isn't any evidence supporting a production supercharged Camaro, but there are lots of rumors and possibilities.

Keep the faith. It could happen in more than one way: a factory Z28, a factory ZL1, a GMPP supercharger kit, and, as always, the aftermarket.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #80
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I think I'm going to stop paying attention to stuff on the internet. If he's quoted as saying "we are not going to do it". I don't know how much clearer they need to be. So either the post his a blatant lie or we don't know how to take no for answer. I for one don't have the patience for the back and forth. So until I hear from GM in the form of a official press release Im only counting on waht we now as fact. 1 -V6 and 2 V8's.

For now....ill just go drive the 500hp car i own today...(sorry had to say it)
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #81
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I think I'm going to stop paying attention to stuff on the internet. If he's quoted as saying "we are not going to do it". I don't know how much clearer they need to be. So either the post his a blatant lie or we don't know how to take no for answer. I for one don't have the patience for the back and forth. So until I hear from GM in the form of a official press release Im only counting on waht we now as fact. 1 -V6 and 2 V8's.

Rub it in, won't you

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #82
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Rub it in, won't you
honestly this could be a total cover up for a huge bean spillage
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #83
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER

Drives: future 500+hp Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
honestly this could be a total cover up for a huge bean spillage
^^^Hope and pray to the horse power gods this could be true^^^
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #84
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

obviously you must have read something I didn't. because I read they aren't doing a 600+ hp camaro. . . but I've also read that the plans for the z28 are being harder to come to pass because of cafe. that isn't a no that's just it's pretty much we might have to consider a plan B. or think really hard how we can make up for the negative mpg of the CTS-V, ZR1 and a HiPo camaro. take it how you want. I did get the message there wasn't a 600+hp camaro. so no faith. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote