Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #267
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Mine does not do this, ever. Wonder why....
Mine does not do this either. Maybe they got a 2014 MyLink box.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #268
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Is this something that all MyLink owners are experiencing? I'm also having other HUD display issues, post-MyLink install. Like not showing anything other than the general car stuff. Still working on what I can do to remedy the issue. Pretty frustrating though.
It seems that since the install the BCM is having issues. When opening the doors with the remote I have the lights programmed to come on. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. It worked before.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #269
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat
I'm having a hard time having the wires click. Is there a secret?
Quote:
They go in pretty far. Further than you'd guess.
A few tricks I found.

1. You have to push the wire in as straight as possible. The click was easier to achieve when I paid extra attention to pushing the wire very straight in.

2. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the wire's insulation to make it slide in a little easier.

3. There was one wire that was still particularly difficult to get in on the radio harness. For that one, I ended up using some medium sand paper and took just a little thickness off of the wire's insulation right where it goes into the connector.

Dealing with these two connectors is really the only challenging part of the entire installation. And for me, unlocking the OnStar connector was a real pain. I felt like I was prying with the tiny screw driver until that connector was going to break. In fact, I even broke the first jewelers screw driver I used. But back and forth between those two pry areas, it finally opened up.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #270
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I used a really small screwdriver as a pick and pushed it in til it clicked. Made it pretty easy
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #271
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Mine does not do this either. Maybe they got a 2014 MyLink box.
I have the only 2014 box to my knowledge on this forum for the purpose of the retrofit. By that I mean I haven't read anyone else who stated so. I do not get this display either.

I do get text messages though.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #272
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
My MyLink is quite flaky.

1) Almost every time I start the car it doesn't see the ipod. The ipod screen shows it's connected but no luck on the MyLink. If I unplug and plug back in it works fine.

2) Shuffle just seems to turn off whenever it feels like it. I turn it back on and it works for awhile then "poof" off again.

3) Fan speed is stuck on a random # on the display and won't change (even though the fan does change speeds when the dial is turned).

4) (less frequently) no music info being displayed in the HUD (yes I'm in the right HUD mode)

5) (so far only once) the forward button wouldn't advance to the next song.

#s 1 and 2 are really annoying.

The interesting thing is that this behavior does not happen in the MyLink in my 2013 Volt. Could these issues be side effects of the modification of the system?
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #273
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
I have the only 2014 box to my knowledge on this forum for the purpose of the retrofit. By that I mean I haven't read anyone else who stated so. I do not get this display either.

I do get text messages though.
I saw that, but mine does not show that option. Maybe it is a function of the phone as in you can text on your phone.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #274
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
I'm having a hard time with the X2 connection. Does anyone have a better picture of how to unlock it
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #275
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
I'm having a hard time with the X2 connection. Does anyone have a better picture of how to unlock it

The "release" is on the larger side and it looks like a rectangle piece of plastic. There are 2 tiny slots that you pry up on. It doesn't come out very far.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #276
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I saw that, but mine does not show that option. Maybe it is a function of the phone as in you can text on your phone.
For iPhone 4s to enable text messages on Mylink (2014) you have to enable notifications. To my knowledge the 2013 hardware is not capable.

I do not get fan speed indicator on screen.

I get nav on my DIC which I thought was neat.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #277
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Mylink Install

I'm still not getting anything in my HUD! I've tried everything except removing the negative battery terminal (to reset everything). Bummer!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #278
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The x2 was possibly the hardest part. Just pop the piece on the side out and they should go right in

Last edited by flyer08; 05-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #279
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

Drives: 2SS Aqua
When inserting the pins in to the connector. I had issues too. Look close. They only go in one way. My pins were 4 sided and I got it wrong 3 of the 4 tries till I figured how they fitted . Also I had two pins with to much solder on them. I had to pinch the end with the wire with pliers to make it not as wide and to remove the hanging solder and make it fit in the hole. Don't give up. It's well worth the time you put in to it.
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #280
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Those with 2012+ are going to see the HVAC speeds on the display, as that seems to be part of the BCM, not the function of the radio/controls. 2012+ also had this display on the stock radio.

as for the wires, yes they only fit in one way. I had to use a needle nose pliers on most all of my wires at the terminal, as the crimp wasn't as clean as it needed to be to be as small of a diameter as required. I also had to straighten some of the terminals a bit that had been bent during the crimp process.