Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Do We expect Too much from new cars

This is about new cars in general, Do we expect too much for them. In the past brakes wore out at 15k miles and were noisey, convertable tops were wrinkled and leaked all the time, squeaks rattles and noises were common. i know we have made technological advancements that take care of many of these issues, but performance brakes make noise, tops are folded and atriculating, they have to fold somewhere, engines are still mechanical and stumble at times. I feel these things we have demanded to have in our cars are all acceptable and why get your blood pressure up over such trivial things. The cost of cars has gone up yes, but that cost has also been driven by the consumer and the expectation that it must be perfect. Buy backs and repairs of trivial items that in reality may be a normal characteristic and just a bandaid on the issue drive costs skyward. I say enjoy our cars and lets repair the owners. Gm and other manufacturers have made these cars so that you are now not spending 300-500 dollars every 15k miles for service, so in my book they are giving you a pretty good value. Enjoy your rides, they all drive different and have their own personality. Flame me if you wish, I will be enjoying my ride, not wasting time at a dealership for trivial issues.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
In regards to maintenance, modern car owners have it easy. Imagine if your Camaro required the same maintenance schedule as a '49 Chevrolet.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
At the same time, back then because you HAD to keep up with vehicle and preventative maintenance regularly, people actually knew a thing or two about cars.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Trivial, schmivial....if something is not right with my expensive purchase, I demand that it be fixed!!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
At the same time, back then because you HAD to keep up with vehicle and preventative maintenance regularly, people actually knew a thing or two about cars.
I'm from back then and all I know is how to drive them, not tear them apart and put them back together again.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
and people thought driving was a privilage not a right.. which is why people cared about their cars..

today Americans have a debt based consumption problem where they finance everything to get everything.. it's about collecting stuff and not working hard, saving up, and buying things based off need or personal interest... why should anyone save money when they can go to the bank, take out a loan, or go down to Wal Mart and get anything they want on a credit card, then six months later when the item breaks, they throw it away while they're still paying on it..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Elementkng20
HTCC: canthonyIOM27

Drives: 2012 IOM 1LT/V6/A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
and people thought driving was a privilage not a right.. which is why people cared about their cars..

today Americans have a debt based consumption problem where they finance everything to get everything.. it's about collecting stuff and not working hard, saving up, and buying things based off need or personal interest... why should anyone save money when they can go to the bank, take out a loan, or go down to Wal Mart and get anything they want on a credit card, then six months later when the item breaks, they throw it away while they're still paying on it..
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Well, back in the day you could buy a new muscle car for $3500 brand new. My dad bought a 69 SS Chevelle right off the lot new for this price. Now, we pay 10 times that for cars that are technologically amazing but made from ALOT of pastic!!!

For what we pay for these cars, they better stand up to our high expectations.

I have always wondered what a new car or truck would cost that JUST GOT YOU FROM A TO B.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I think the issue is two fold. On one hand cars are more expensive than ever before. I believe I read somewhere that new cars have an average price these days at right around 30K. Add that to the majority of vehicle owners either not knowing how to fix their own vehicle or being unable to do so b/c new cars are far more sophisticated than ever before.

When all most people are doing is shelling out money, they get frustrated when something goes wrong.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
upflying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Well, back in the day you could buy a new muscle car for $3500 brand new. My dad bought a 69 SS Chevelle right off the lot new for this price. Now, we pay 10 times that for cars that are technologically amazing but made from ALOT of pastic!!!

I have always wondered what a new car or truck would cost that JUST GOT YOU FROM A TO B.
Don't forget to figure inflation into the cost of that '69 Chevelle.
What cost $3500 in 1969 would cost $21617.38 in 2012.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
I just no longer want to spend , my weekends fixing my 3cars , truck ,boat,3 motorcycles,jet ski ,snowmobile ,quad , bicycle , and my tractor

I'm I asking too much ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

And a hourly wage worker was making what , $2.45 ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
upflying

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
And a hourly wage worker was making what , $2.45 ?
I was making $1.65 an hour in 1969.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Don't forget to figure inflation into the cost of that '69 Chevelle.
What cost $3500 in 1969 would cost $21617.38 in 2012.
That's just inflation.

Let's look at the Chevelle back then.

Power Steering - Optional

Power Brakes - Optional

Air conditioning - Optional

Power Windows - Optional

power Door locks - Optional

Tilt Wheel, Stereo, posi-traction, cruise control, and 300 hp -- optional --

that list goes on forever.......

Stabilitrak and anti-lock brakes -- airbags - radial tires - fuel economy in the 20s and countless other features: weren't even available or even thought of back then.

Today's automobiles and trucks are so far superior to anything in the past - not to mention quality, safety, economy, corrosion protection, warranty......

It's apples to oranges.