Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Elementkng20
HTCC: canthonyIOM27

Drives: 2012 IOM 1LT/V6/A6
Can you have a license at 16?

Go for it if you got the funds for it, but being young, I think it would be more of a headache.

When I was 16 I drove a 95 Saturn...loved that thing.
MRT V2 w/ 4" Magnaflow tips
Visual
Blacked out emblems, rear & bezels
Plasti dipped SS wheels
Tint 30% front; 5% rear
Matte black hood spears/side gills
Color matched interior accents
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXaddict View Post
It's not spam. Chevy customer service has helped A LOT of people on this forum resolve issues....
Thank you LSXaddict,

We really appreciate your support and we do all we can to add value and assist here on the forum.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton227 View Post
I was in your shoes 4 years ago when I tuned 16, and I was thinking the same thing your thinking. Trust me the insurance isn't worth it right now. Get something you can learn to drive in and not worry about getting a few dings and things in, then in a few years after you can prove your driving prowess to the insurance companies and your parents probably then you can look into the V6. V8 is going to be out of the question really until at least 21-25 or so if your worried about insurance cost. I finally bought a camaro a few weeks ago and its a 2010 v6 and I got a fairly good deal on insurance but only because I have been driving now for just under four years with no accidents or tickets. So if I were you I would get something to learn to drive in, something your can get comfortable with then in a few years turn back to the camaros. Trust me they will still be just as cool and just as fun to drive and good for you they will be even more widely available on the used car market and insurance will be even less.
^^^ Great advice here... from one who's been in your shoes! ^^^
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
If money is not an issue, then please do get a Camaro. When you're 80 you'll have some incredible memories from this car. The SS with LS3 and a catback exhaust, just a bolt on, will permanently hold a place in your memory. When you have Alzheimer's you'll still remember the sound of this thing starting up cold in your garage.

However, if money is an issue, the astronomical expense of premium gas, insurance, etc, will utterly cripple you.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
Just get a car that is good on gas. In high school I would worry about other drives your age driving poorly and denting the car. That is a headache you can mitigate with a cheaper car.

You shouldn't waste money on insurance, when you will grow out of that with time and experience.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Elementkng20
HTCC: canthonyIOM27

Drives: 2012 IOM 1LT/V6/A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
If money is not an issue, then please do get a Camaro. When you're 80 you'll have some incredible memories from this car. The SS with LS3 and a catback exhaust, just a bolt on, will permanently hold a place in your memory. When you have Alzheimer's you'll still remember the sound of this thing starting up cold in your garage.

However, if money is an issue, the astronomical expense of premium gas, insurance, etc, will utterly cripple you.
+1 on the gas
MRT V2 w/ 4" Magnaflow tips
Visual
Blacked out emblems, rear & bezels
Plasti dipped SS wheels
Tint 30% front; 5% rear
Matte black hood spears/side gills
Color matched interior accents
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
My first car was a gold/tan interior four door auto 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass...everybody should have a junky first car. That way when you work hard and save up, you appreciate your Camaro when you get it.

-Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
If you are that hooked on have to have a Camaro at barely 16 I would buy a Camaro LS and have fun with it then after a few years of owning it then you can trade up to an SS. Otherwise you should probably wait til you are 21-25 to buy an SS, and just buy something to beat around in for a few years.

What I said & what others have said is not what any 16 year old wants to hear, but you've got to trust the elders who have already had their place in your shoes. I got a 4th Gen LS1 at 17 years old but that was after I had bought a car myself for $350 and fixed the few minor things wrong as my first car, I took care of the car, had it custom painted for $1000 and it was a lot of fun to drive & cruise in until I made the upgrade to an LS1 and again I babied that car until the day I sold it. I ended up getting $2000 more than the KBB sale value on it too.
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #23
Haxors

Drives: 2011 1LT Camaro
Im 16 and have a 1LT, Was originally gonna get a 1SS but then Insurance quoted me 525$ a month FULL coverage on my parents insurance. Now my insurance on the lt is about 300$ Still a lot, but much better. Go for the lt and then hit up the v8 when you graduate, and trust me. The v6 has MORE than enough power to get you into a lot of trouble and or seriously hurt your self. Good luck!
Haxors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #24
Miles 45thCSS

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition 2012 2SS
I got my 2SS/RS at 16 and I still have it at 18 and ive paid around 1800 a month in insurance per year so Id definitely say its worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I know this is shocking coming from the Camaro addicts but spend some money on college prep.. in long run you will buy any Camaro you want !!!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #26
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Do yourself and others on the road and get the V6 to start with. They still look good, can mod must the same, be half the price on insurance plus the car itself will be cheaper and they have more then enough power to get a young person into trouble real fast when your learning to drive. Everyone wants to test their cars limit, so be smart and start with the V6 until your ready and proven to move upto an SS.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Jeez, I had a 19 year old V8 muscle car built in 1969, when I was 17 years old. The kid's not going to become a mass murderer on the roads because he has a way-scary V8 Camaro.

Kurt: why isn't the 1SS an option for you?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #28
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I've been wanting a new Camaro since I was 18.

I am now 60, and have purchased a new '13 Camaro, finally.

If you can pull this off kid- go for it.

Last edited by LStick; 07-21-2013 at 07:40 AM.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, 2ss, camaro, helpme