Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Flat black stripes... again

I've brought up the issue of flat black stripes before on here... I'm getting my car black w/ black wheels and plan on having flat black stipes either painted or vinyled on like the Kright Rider edition GT500KR (I had the idea before thet debuted it!). Everywhere I read about matte/flat paint or vinyl stipes it mention that you're not to use wax on them. Anybody with some paint experience please enlighten me... how exactly am I supposed to run my car through the car wash when they all wax you car?!? I'd just wash it @ home but I live in a condo where that's not an option, even still I'd like to be able to wax my car... HELP!!
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
I've brought up the issue of flat black stripes before on here... I'm getting my car black w/ black wheels and plan on having flat black stipes either painted or vinyled on like the Kright Rider edition GT500KR (I had the idea before thet debuted it!). Everywhere I read about matte/flat paint or vinyl stipes it mention that you're not to use wax on them. Anybody with some paint experience please enlighten me... how exactly am I supposed to run my car through the car wash when they all wax you car?!? I'd just wash it @ home but I live in a condo where that's not an option, even still I'd like to be able to wax my car... HELP!!
You should really hand wash your car anyway. The automatic washers tend to leave very small scratches in the paint. Even if you live at a condo, there should still be a Genie car wash or a place like it that allows you to wash your own car with a provided brush and soap. Just wash it yourself and then wax the car later at home without touching the stripes. That's what I do.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'd go a step further and say don't even use the brush. ONLY use a micro fiber towel on the paint. Don't use those mits as they tend to fall on the ground and even after one drop, will pick up dirt and debris that you are going to rub right back into your paint leaving tiny little scratches.

As far as waxing over flat black vinyl stripes, I imagine it would just be the same, right? Anyone? I have no experience in dealing w/ waxing over something that is not a clear coat.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Wax doesn't hurt the vinyl stripes. I have them on my 4th gen and I only wash it at the automatic drive thru car wash. The old flat black paint/black primer and paste waxes or waxes that haze when they dry don't play well together. The white haze will get trapped in the rougher surface and build up. The modern flat black paint should be ok with waxing since it has a clear coat with a flattening agent in it that removes the gloss but retains the UV protection and sealing qualities.The wax used at car washes doesn't haze, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Wax doesn't hurt the vinyl stripes. I have them on my 4th gen and I only wash it at the automatic drive thru car wash. The old flat black paint/black primer and paste waxes or waxes that haze when they dry don't play well together. The white haze will get trapped in the rougher surface and build up. The modern flat black paint should be ok with waxing since it has a clear coat with a flattening agent in it that removes the gloss but retains the UV protection and sealing qualities.The wax used at car washes doesn't haze, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway.
I figured that was the scientific basis behind the issue, but figured by now there must be flat paint capable of side-stepping the problem since these look so good

I want this on my Camaro, I'll just have the stock wheels powder-coated a semi-gloss black also.

Thanks alot for the info. I'll do some more research between now and couple years before I get my car so I can find a low maintainance for the look I want.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
hm this is good to know because i plan on black paint and red vinyl stripes

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
5thGen

Drives: Black 2LT/RS, jeep Wrangler
thats my exact car //... just ordered stripes
5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Tx1Lt
Mark it ZERO!

Drives: '10 Black Camaro
The flat black stripes will look satin with a good polish. Not sure about paste wax tho. I use a turtle wax ice glaze on mine.