Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Fixer

Drives: Virtual ZL1
Help! No unnerstand!???!

Help!

I hope someone can help me understand...

In a recent post by a dealer on this forum, the dealer stated, "Will NOT sell to a dealer, or exporter, or anyone that does not feel that they need to pay sales tax. This has to be a clean USA retail delivery to a retail customer, so I can report it to Chevy and receive credit."

How does this really work????

I was working with a dealer in Idaho trying to get going on ordering a ZL1. I explained from the beginning of our email conversation that I am located on Guam, and I would need the car to be delivered to a freight forwarder in Seattle, prepped for shipping in accordance with the DHS and DOA requirements. I made all the shipping arrangements, would pay the freight costs. I sent in my choice of color and options. So far, no problems...so it seemed.

He asked me when I would be sending in my deposit. I told him I would wire the money to him on the next business day, and email him the Tax Exempt Certificate from Guam.

Then, all of a sudden, he sends me a message stating he can't export the car because Chevy will slap his hands! I thought, okay, maybe the shipping thing freaked him out, maybe this guy does not know the Guam is a protectorate of the US, maybe he thinks I expect him to deliver the car to Seattle for free. So I tried to explain that I was happy to pay for the prep and delivery to Seattle, we are not a foreign country, we fly the US flag above our territorial flag, we have 60Hz power, our local currency is the US$, and we even have an Area Code just like any other State! :flag2:

On the sales tax issue, I will have to pay a Use Tax when the car arrives, since I am not purchasing the car at our local dealer. The Use Tax is kinda, sorta, in-a-way the same as a Sales Tax (we call it a Gross Receipts Tax here on Guam, but it's the same thing). I didn't think this was any different from what anyone else would do in the Mainland. It appears from almost all the posts that I've read about out-of-State purchases, that a Sales or Use tax has to be paid...somewhere.

Did I miss something in the download???
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
The sale is technically occuring at the dealer in Idaho. Sales tax will be charged at that state's rate. There is typically an adjustment for sales tax paid when it is titled in another state. Maybe something similar is available with your gross receipts tax in Guam.

Anyway, this should not be a problem for the dealer because it is sold and delivered to Idaho, not Guam. What you do with your car after that is your business.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
The sale is technically occuring at the dealer in Idaho. Sales tax will be charged at that state's rate. There is typically an adjustment for sales tax paid when it is titled in another state. Maybe something similar is available with your gross receipts tax in Guam.

Anyway, this should not be a problem for the dealer because it is sold and delivered to Idaho, not Guam. What you do with your car after that is your business.

Whoa! Somehow I missed that! All of a sudden, I feel like a dumb-a$$.

Our tax rules here state that if I own the car for less than 90-days, I would have to pay the Use tax. So if I have to pay the Sales tax rate in the State I purchase the car at, then pay the Use tax here, on man!

So, to save some money, I'd have to find someone over there, preferably on the West Coast, that will be willing to do me a great favor and house the ZL1 for me for at least 80-days. Since it's a performance car, I'm sure I'd have to also impose on that good soul's time to warm the car up now and again.

Any takers??

Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post

That is not true, I purchased a car in missouri paid no sales tax there, brought it back to Ill. and paid the DMV the sales tax.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
blackcam2ss

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #659
You pay sales tax where you register the vehicle
blackcam2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcam2ss View Post
...Otherwise you'd be paying sales tax twice.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
This is straight from the Idaho state tax commission:

I'm a nonresident buying a car in Idaho. Do I need to pay sales tax on my car?

A nonresident who buys a vehicle from a dealer owes sales tax on the vehicle if it stays in Idaho more than 60 days in a 12-month period. This applies to nonresident members of the military as well.
However, nonresidents who will take the vehicle to another state or country and immediately license and title it there can buy the vehicle without paying sales tax if they properly complete a Form ST-104MV.
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
Whoa! Somehow I missed that! All of a sudden, I feel like a dumb-a$$.

Our tax rules here state that if I own the car for less than 90-days, I would have to pay the Use tax. So if I have to pay the Sales tax rate in the State I purchase the car at, then pay the Use tax here, on man!

So, to save some money, I'd have to find someone over there, preferably on the West Coast, that will be willing to do me a great favor and house the ZL1 for me for at least 80-days. Since it's a performance car, I'm sure I'd have to also impose on that good soul's time to warm the car up now and again.

Any takers??

i have a nice garage
Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
That is not true, I purchased a car in missouri paid no sales tax there, brought it back to Ill. and paid the DMV the sales tax.
Yes, I did the same. Bought the car in Arizona, shipped it to MA, paid no sales tax in Arizona but had to pay the tax in MA. There were forms to fill out in AZ to not have to pay the tax because the car was going somewhere else. The issue you may run into is that Chevy dealers are being discouraged from selling to another dealer. In many or most all cases they will not do it from what I've heard. Something about controlling where the cars go and preventing a second dealer from profiting from the short supply etc. Doesn't make much sense to me but I think its the case.. Can't you buy the car outright without involving a second dealer and arrange for shipping yourself to Guam?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
Yes, I did the same. Bought the car in Arizona, shipped it to MA, paid no sales tax in Arizona but had to pay the tax in MA. There were forms to fill out in AZ to not have to pay the tax because the car was going somewhere else. The issue you may run into is that Chevy dealers are being discouraged from selling to another dealer. In many or most all cases they will not do it from what I've heard. Something about controlling where the cars go and preventing a second dealer from profiting from the short supply etc. Doesn't make much sense to me but I think its the case.. Can't you buy the car outright without involving a second dealer and arrange for shipping yourself to Guam?

I am trying to execute a direct purchase! I did initially try to purchase the car from the dealer on Guam but they eventually told me they could not get the car. So I started looking towards the dealers in the States.

I seemed to be making progress with the dealer in Idaho. This was actually a good thing for me since I will be on business travel to Spokane in October. But he bailed, don't know why. And he won't respond to any of my messages. So the search continues.

I read a statement made by an East Coast dealer on another thread that made me wonder about the sales tax issue. Since it appears that several forum members have made out-of-State purchases, I took for granted that someone could educate me on the way these transactions are handled over there. Thanks to all that have responded.

Well, it looks like this purchase is really doable. I've just got to keep looking!

I've got to say, it's a wonder that some of the dealers I've been in contact with have 2012's in stock and are asking so much over MSRP for the car. A couple of dealers have had the cars for 2-3 months! That's a long time to have +$50K sitting on a polished showroom floor. With the '13's out on the street, it would seem that no savvy dealer would want to hold onto the prior year model. But then, I don't know any better, I've never worked for a car dealer. There must be an advantage to holding out for the ideal buyer.

With winter fast approaching, I don't think dealers in the northern States will be moving very many of these cars. It's always summer here, so I don't know what winter's are like. Judging from what I've read here and other forums, the ground clearance of the ZL1 seems to beg for winter storage, not winter driving. So...wait!

Do dealers have winter sales on these cars???
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Help!

I hope someone can help me understand...

In a recent post by a dealer on this forum, the dealer stated, "Will NOT sell to a dealer, or exporter, or anyone that does not feel that they need to pay sales tax. This has to be a clean USA retail delivery to a retail customer, so I can report it to Chevy and receive credit."

How does this really work????

I was working with a dealer in Idaho trying to get going on ordering a ZL1. I explained from the beginning of our email conversation that I am located on Guam, and I would need the car to be delivered to a freight forwarder in Seattle, prepped for shipping in accordance with the DHS and DOA requirements. I made all the shipping arrangements, would pay the freight costs. I sent in my choice of color and options. So far, no problems...so it seemed.

He asked me when I would be sending in my deposit. I told him I would wire the money to him on the next business day, and email him the Tax Exempt Certificate from Guam.

Then, all of a sudden, he sends me a message stating he can't export the car because Chevy will slap his hands! I thought, okay, maybe the shipping thing freaked him out, maybe this guy does not know the Guam is a protectorate of the US, maybe he thinks I expect him to deliver the car to Seattle for free. So I tried to explain that I was happy to pay for the prep and delivery to Seattle, we are not a foreign country, we fly the US flag above our territorial flag, we have 60Hz power, our local currency is the US$, and we even have an Area Code just like any other State! :flag2:

On the sales tax issue, I will have to pay a Use Tax when the car arrives, since I am not purchasing the car at our local dealer. The Use Tax is kinda, sorta, in-a-way the same as a Sales Tax (we call it a Gross Receipts Tax here on Guam, but it's the same thing). I didn't think this was any different from what anyone else would do in the Mainland. It appears from almost all the posts that I've read about out-of-State purchases, that a Sales or Use tax has to be paid...somewhere.

Did I miss something in the download???
And i bet that your last name is SALVO right ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
MarcInUtah
Banned

Drives: Mustang(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcam2ss View Post
Exactly. I ordered my Shelby out of KS. I am paying for the car in full at that dealership and having to pay TTL here in UT.
MarcInUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
And i bet that your last name is SALVO right ?

Thanks for the info guys! If you come across a dealer that has an IOM ZL1 with a desire to part with the car, please pass the info on! Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

Thanks for the info guys! If you come across a dealer that has an IOM ZL1 with a desire to part with the car, please pass the info on! Thanks again!

Try Chevrolet in Naperville, IL. Last time I checked they had a beautiful car on IOM on the showroom floor. Sounds fantastic.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote