Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
MatchbookSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Motor Trend. I don't know how anyone, especially we, on this site, can take anything they say seriously. A bunch of Ford nutswingers.

We're talking about the same publication that compares a Hyundai to a Bentley.

MatchbookSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #30
MatchbookSS

Also, we're talking about the same group of Ford nutswingers that compared the SS to the Shelby GT500 back in 2009, rather than compare the SS to it's actual competition, the 2010 S197 3v GT...yeah, they don't have a huge Ford bias...

I would just ignore everything they say.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
you guys saying Motortrend are biased are a big ca-hooting joke. Your only anecdotal evidence you'd ever have is if their opinion differed from everyone else's. But they don't. Their opinions have been repeated over and over by other magazines also.

Maybe it isn't everyone that's biased. Maybe it's just you.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #32
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Not owning either of these cars, I still take issue with a couple of the statements and stats made in that article.

First, I've very recently sat in (and will be test driving on Saturday) both the Camaro (SS and 2lt, but they have the same interior so...) and the Mustang v6 and the GT.

I am 6'6. I have large hands. The Camaro's steering wheel felt great to me. It was actually nice to grip a wheel and not have my index and middle fingers be able to scratch my wrist. It felt very comfortable. My wife loves it too. She's also a tall woman @ 5'10. Dutch heritage. We both agreed that the Camaro's steering wheel/shifter felt more substantial and comfortable as compared with the Mustang.

I also see the interior dimension stats at the end of the article stating that both cars have 42.2' of fromt legroom. I don't think so. Measuring tape must be broken. I just fit in the Mustang with the seat back as far as it could go. My left knee was jammed between the wheel and the door, and my right thigh was rubbing against the center console. While I did not feel too cramped (I drive a Hummer H3T for work and it is tight up front and used to drive a Toyota Tacoma and a Ranger every day for six months in the summer for 10 years. I'm used to being a bit cramped) I wasn't wholly comfortable either.

In the Camaro, I found more leg room both front/back and side to side. Less headroom, but it was not an issue. And one major thing my wife pointed out was that with the Stang's seat all the way back, there was absolutely no leg room for someone to sit behind me. At least with the Camaro there were a few inches to spare and someone could fit (unless they're a tall freak like me).

I really like both cars, don't get me wrong. I think they are both sexy, but of course the Camaro is just sexier all around. That alone would be a deal maker for me But of course I can't justify buying a car on looks alone, and the lack of room in the Mustang was the deal breaker. I'm gonna drive it, just cuz I can, but I have absolutely no intention of buying a car I can't fit right in.

I don't know about those guys at Motortrend. I guess they just have girly hands. And I did notice three, yes three Ford ads on each page of that comparo. Yeah, unbiased my ass...
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #33
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
I have noticed though, that MT does tend to favor ford more. I am talking from an unbiased stand point.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #34
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
And I did notice three, yes three Ford ads on each page of that comparo. Yeah, unbiased my ass...
Oh for f sake. Go to the front page of Motor Trend and see what is Motor Trends "Car of the Year". Is it a Ford?

If a car is good, then people will consistently say good things about it - it's not because they're biased, it's because it's good! The reason why MT rated the Camaro well when it first came out, was because it was great compared with everything else at the time. When the 2011 Mustang came out, it suddenly made the Camaro's ergonomic flaws more obvious and less of a reason to ignore.

If something new comes out that trumps an old product, do you really expect people to still rate the old product well? I mean really - that's just a little stupid.

I repeat: unless a reviewer is completely saying things that other reviewers are not saying, then they are not biased. But if all the reviewers are saying the same thing: and they all say the same thing about the A-pillars, gear shifter, steering wheel and visibility - then you're the one who's biased. The problem is not MT, the problem is you.

But I suppose, if believing that people who have different opinions than you is being biased or bribed makes you feel better...

Wah wah wah.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #35
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Favor Ford more, oh puhleeze.... What was their selection for Car of the Year and Truck of the Year?

They weren't Fords.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #36
MatchbookSS

The whole comparison issue is a non-point and of course makes sense. If something is better than another, then of course you'd review it as such.

But just because it's better doesn't mean that a car you rated previously as being better than everything else with positive reviews, suddenly becomes a lump of crap.

And yes, it is biased. And yes, it is a joke. What other publication out there seriously compares a 70k dollar car with a 500k dollar car? Hyundai and Bentley shouldn't even be in the same sentence when comparing the two. And if you think it should be, well, you should have your dome checked out. Same thing with deciding to compare the 2010 SS with a GT500, vs it's actual target competition, which at the time, would have been the 2010 GT. If doing that sort of thing doesn't hurt your credibility, I don't know what does.

MT is a joke and has been for a while now.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #37
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I think the problem with the reviews is the cars are both so good it's down to the nit picky crap.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #38
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Oh for f sake. Go to the front page of Motor Trend and see what is Motor Trends "Car of the Year". Is it a Ford?

If a car is good, then people will consistently say good things about it - it's not because they're biased, it's because it's good! The reason why MT rated the Camaro well when it first came out, was because it was great compared with everything else at the time. When the 2011 Mustang came out, it suddenly made the Camaro's ergonomic flaws more obvious and less of a reason to ignore.

If something new comes out that trumps an old product, do you really expect people to still rate the old product well? I mean really - that's just a little stupid.

I repeat: unless a reviewer is completely saying things that other reviewers are not saying, then they are not biased. But if all the reviewers are saying the same thing: and they all say the same thing about the A-pillars, gear shifter, steering wheel and visibility - then you're the one who's biased. The problem is not MT, the problem is you.

But I suppose, if believing that people who have different opinions than you is being biased or bribed makes you feel better...

Wah wah wah.
How am I biased? I initially went into the dealerships with no preconceived notions on either car. In fact I wasn't even looking at the Camaro or Mustang as an initial choice. I was actually looking into an Edge at Ford or a used Caddy at GM. But while there the kid in me came out and wanted to try out the Mustang and Camaro. After testing my initial choices, I wanted to give the pony cars a once over.

I walked around and sat in and scrutinized the Mustang first. I liked it, and the price was right. I didn't like how it didn't fit me very well though.

Next stop was the GM dealership, and after testing the Caddy I seen the Camaro in the showroom. I checked it out and upon first inspection, I liked it alot better then the Mustang. To me it just looked and felt better. Plus it fit me better. Coupled with the fact that I will get better trade in for my Grand Prix at GM, and a loyalty bonus that Ford will not offer, and I decided that I want a Camaro.

To each their own, but if you seriously take everything you read for truth and don't use your own senses while choosing a car then you sir are an idiot. These may be problems that reviewers have, but to me they are not. What I stated in my first post on the subject was just my opinion and objective findings as they apply to me. If you don't like it then fine, I can see your point. But don't try to come off all high and mighty to me. My last remark was an attempt at humor based on my observations of just the review pages, and was obviously lost on you. Relax dude, you take things way too seriously.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #39
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I think the problem with the reviews is the cars are both so good it's down to the nit picky crap.
Indeed.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #40
Trey42590

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
How am I biased? I initially went into the dealerships with no preconceived notions on either car. In fact I wasn't even looking at the Camaro or Mustang as an initial choice. I was actually looking into an Edge at Ford or a used Caddy at GM. But while there the kid in me came out and wanted to try out the Mustang and Camaro. After testing my initial choices, I wanted to give the pony cars a once over.

I walked around and sat in and scrutinized the Mustang first. I liked it, and the price was right. I didn't like how it didn't fit me very well though.

Next stop was the GM dealership, and after testing the Caddy I seen the Camaro in the showroom. I checked it out and upon first inspection, I liked it alot better then the Mustang. To me it just looked and felt better. Plus it fit me better. Coupled with the fact that I will get better trade in for my Grand Prix at GM, and a loyalty bonus that Ford will not offer, and I decided that I want a Camaro.

To each their own, but if you seriously take everything you read for truth and don't use your own senses while choosing a car then you sir are an idiot. These may be problems that reviewers have, but to me they are not. What I stated in my first post on the subject was just my opinion and objective findings as they apply to me. If you don't like it then fine, I can see your point. But don't try to come off all high and mighty to me. My last remark was an attempt at humor based on my observations of just the review pages, and was obviously lost on you. Relax dude, you take things way too seriously.
I agree with you. Seriously why would anyone get pissy over us hating on motor trend?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #41
Cannaro

Drives: None
In 2010 it was the exact opposite, and I'm sure many of you are aware of it. They tested the 2010 SS and 2010 GT and gave the victory to the Camaro. Then, later they compared the Camaro to the 2010 GT500 and ragged on the GT500 for saying it shouldn't be compared to the Camaro SS anyways because of the price tag being a lot more. In 2010 they made it aware that they felt the Camaro was much better.

Now that the tables turned, you guys are complaining. There is no bias, just reviewers giving you their take on the 2 cars. Most magazines have been on par with giving the victory to the 2011 5.0, at least in coupe form. I'm sure once the other magazines post their reviews, they will be similar. The 5.0 simply outperforms the current SS. At 400lbs lighter it shouldn't be that hard to believe.
Cannaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #42
BigDan

Drives: bug
Post Finally Convert head to head drag race.

Here is the long awaited SS vert vs 5.0L vert drag race video. I honestly thought the SS was going to win before I watched the race due to the V6 Camaro already beating the V6 Mustang vert if memory serves me correctly. I also thought the SS would have the advantage on the launch due to the extra weight over the rear tires and less prone to wheel spin on this crappy surface. As we already know rear gear ratio has nothing to do with this out come since the quickest 5.0's are the highest geared.

BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote