Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Fixer

Drives: Virtual ZL1
Warranty??

I did a search prior to posting, so if I didn't use the right key word(s), just grumble.

I've been working with the dealer in my area to order a ZL1. After getting the funding approved, they told me that they don't have an allocation and don't know when they may get one. They want me to put down a $5,000, non-refundable deposit, then they will order the car. All they can say is "all we can do is place an order in and hope it gets picked up". Until then, my $5K does nothing for me. Not something I feel warm and fuzzy about.

So now I'm wondering, if I were to find a car elsewhere and close a deal, will the dealer have to honor the factory warranty, should I ever have to have the car serviced? Does anyone know?? Thanks!
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
First of all $5,000.00 is outrageous. When the 2012's were being ordered all most dealerships wanted was a $500.00 non-refundable deposit. The most I've ever heard was maybe $1,000.00. Also there are so my ZL1's for sale now that if you search you could find one without any mark up Im sure. Also no matter where you buy your car you can have it serviced at any Chevrolet dealership and the warranty will be honored.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
First of all $5,000.00 is outrageous. When the 2012's were being ordered all most dealerships wanted was a $500.00 non-refundable deposit. The most I've ever heard was maybe $1,000.00. Also there are so my ZL1's for sale now that if you search you could find one without any mark up Im sure. Also no matter where you buy your car you can have it serviced at any Chevrolet dealership and the warranty will be honored.
+1

But....one thing. Make sure the dealership you go to is knowledgeable about the car. There have been several guys on here that took their ZL1s to dealerships, and the shop guys did more damage than help.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Also no matter where you buy your car you can have it serviced at any Chevrolet dealership and the warranty will be honored.
Assuming it is stock they are legally obligated to honor the warranty. Tunes, aftermarket mods, etc.. could void certain parts of the warranty.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Ok, for one no dealership should ask for a non refundable deposit. Walk away fast. If they can not say they have an allocation then no reason to give away your money. There are enough dealerships that are honest and ask for $500 refundable deposit or no money at all.
Don't be the fool and his money that's soon departed. Some dealership are just plain dishonest.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Send Becky a PM - she'll take care of you.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Waranty is through GM not dealer xyz.

If they don't have an allocation they are wasting your time. find a dealer that has an allocation and have the car courtesy delivered to the dealer near you.

as far as deposite don't put more than 1k down and make sure it is refundable some states don't truley allow non-refundable deposits anyway dealers just lie to you.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
Your dealer is an idiot...don't pay $5000 to join him in that category. If he don't know if he has an allocation, then most likely, he doesn't have an allocation.

Last year, I asked a salesperson at a local dealership if they were getting an allocation. He said, "Sure!". I questioned, "Are you sure?" He said, "Well they said we could start taking orders." I already had my ZL1 on order from a dealer that had 2 allocations. I was just curious to hear his answer. Really - I am not totally sure that saleperson even knew what a ZL1 was.

I say run...don't walk...away.
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Fixer

Drives: Virtual ZL1
Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate the input!

Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I searched all around my area for a ZL1 already on a lot, I just emailed dealers in houston and san antonio (which san antonio is 270 miles from me) and I got a dealer on the phone the next day, and that weekend I drove off with my car. It had the color, and options I was after, plus a few more (I didn't want one with a sunroof, however, after seeing it, I really like the sunroof)
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote