Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Post Microfiber cleaning

Just out of curiosity,

How many of you regularly use a dedicated microfiber washing chemical to rinse your microfiber towels?

Wondering if using a fabric softener would do the same thing, if not, what differences could there be between the two ( Microfiber cleaning liquid vs Fabric softener ).

I'm running low on Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate and contemplating whether its really worth it or not, as I dont see much of a difference when using this tbh..

Appreciate the inputs!
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Good_Times

Drives: red
Fabric softener is a no no , no matter what wash powder you use. I use Tide and a little vinegar in the rinse water with good results but have plenty of friends that are professional detailers and very OCD that use a dedicated cleaner. They swear by them. So I don't knock those that prefer a special cleaner. Just stay away from liquid softener and dryer sheets.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Powdered detergent is a no-no also. You run the risk of some not dissolving and then sanding your paint. When my towels are particularly dirty or after a polishing session, I'll use a dedicated microfiber cleaner, but most times just All Free and Clear, but any good quality dye and perfume free detergent does the job.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Rags made of microfiber must only be washed in regular washing detergent, not oily, self-softening, soap-based detergents. Fabric softener must not be used. The oils in the softener and self-softening detergents will clog up the fibers and make them less effective until the oils are washed out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

I use a dedicated microfiber cleaner. If you buy a gallon of it, it's not too expensive and lasts a really long time. I don't why see you would switch away from using microfiber detergent. I've spent hundreds on my microfibers, I'm going to make sure to take the best care of them as to see every penny's worth on those towels.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 03-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Every single time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Good_Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
Powdered detergent is a no-no also. You run the risk of some not dissolving and then sanding your paint. When my towels are particularly dirty or after a polishing session, I'll use a dedicated microfiber cleaner, but most times just All Free and Clear, but any good quality dye and perfume free detergent does the job.

As I noted I use Tide in the gel type ball but have used powder in the past and with a extra rinse cycle never experienced powder not dissolving. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 towels from many various vendors with quite a bit of money tied up and if my wash method was a problem , I would change it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Have any of you used Woolite?
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Times View Post
Fabric softener is a no no , no matter what wash powder you use... Just stay away from liquid softener and dryer sheets.
Why; what is wrong with liquid softener?
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Good_Times

As posted in a previous post :
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Rags made of microfiber must only be washed in regular washing detergent, not oily, self-softening, soap-based detergents. Fabric softener must not be used. The oils in the softener and self-softening detergents will clog up the fibers and make them less effective until the oils are washed out.

Posted by: ihaveacamaro
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
Why; what is wrong with liquid softener?
You never ever ever ever use fabric softener of any sort on microfiber. It'll clog the fibers and ruin the absorbency. Cardinal sin of microfiber #1.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You never ever ever ever use fabric softener of any sort on microfiber. It'll clog the fibers and ruin the absorbency. Cardinal sin of microfiber #1.

It's OK to use it on old bathtowels that I use for basic drying off after washes, isn't it? I know you pro-level guys probably don't use towels, but alot of us "amateurs" do.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
It's OK to use it on old bathtowels that I use for basic drying off after washes, isn't it? I know you pro-level guys probably don't use towels, but alot of us "amateurs" do.
I can't even respond to that in good conscience lol. Please, please invest in some actual drying towels. A $40 investment will save you thousands in paint correction over the lifetime of the vehicle. Bath towels should never ever touch paint.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I have learned a TON of information on this forum in the past year in regards to detailing. Purchased some good drying towels from Chemical Guys and they are so worth it. Make life so much easier.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I use the same cleaner as you, I believe it's well worth it.

Sent from my 2SS/RS