Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
I went forced induction, but if I had it to do over again I would have went NA. I just plain didn't know any better that there would be any issues with the FI route..now I'm saving up for the stroking to 416 ci project...which will likely take years since I'm working on suspension and fuel and other things in the meantime. You can get an NA 416 ci to the same level of performance as the FI bolt on if you add some goodies to reconsructing the long block...ie, nasty cam, heads, headers. The engine will be stronger too. Just be sure about your end goal. You don't want to build an 11 to 1 compression shortblock then later decide that you want a supercharger too.
Exactly!
The 11:1 vs 9:1 is where I am a little hung up. One builder did suggest 10.3:1 as a good middle ground. Would limit the max boost later to 8-10lbs, and still give really good NA numbers.
10-12 pounds on a built 416 is 700hp+ for sure.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
what all goes into stroking the LS3? does the engine have to come out of the car?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancoach View Post
Yes, we were talking yesterday. A buddy of mine recommended a builder, so I called him. He was trying to upsell into something crazy. SoundS like reliability isn't an issue.
I just have to decide forced induction or NA, for the long term.
You can't go wrong with an HKE built engine. Erik knows his stuff and builds great engines.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancoach View Post
Exactly!
The 11:1 vs 9:1 is where I am a little hung up. One builder did suggest 10.3:1 as a good middle ground. Would limit the max boost later to 8-10lbs, and still give really good NA numbers.
10-12 pounds on a built 416 is 700hp+ for sure.
I'm going 9.5 to 1 with a Jannetty blower cam, other options would be a livernois 2c cam or the ZR1 cam. Either way, with a 416 ci, SC, blower cam and adequate fuel system you will make plenty of power. I'm actually trying to keep it under 700hp at the crank. The higher you go the more stuff you have to change, already doing a total suspension but if you go higher...rear end, axles, clutch,...

the other poster asked about what stroking involves...it is taking the bottom core block and replacing the internals with forged components and changing the stroke to add more cubic inches.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
HtownSS

Drives: Silver 2SS, 68 Firebird 400,70 vett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
You can't go wrong with an HKE built engine. Erik knows his stuff and builds great engines.
Agree, I was involved in my buddys 416 build with Eric and that thing is a beast and a excellent daily driver, He's raced at least 6 forced induction cars and has had no losses. He most definitely will be doing my build soon.
HtownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Anyone have a link or some info for HKE? Just curious. I wouldn't mind getting some info incase I decide I want to go this route one day.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
Simster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Simster
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Anyone have a link or some info for HKE? Just curious. I wouldn't mind getting some info incase I decide I want to go this route one day.
http://www.******************.com/

Simster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
moiy1983

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
http://www.hkracingengines.com/index.php
I had my engine stroked by Eric at HKE and i am 1000% satisfied!
moiy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The biggest mistake I see alot is running the compression too low. With the old school motors you had to run low compression to fight detination. These LS motors are much more efficient.

For a turbo build you would want a 9-1 compression.
For a roots you want around 10-1
For a centrifical you want 10-1 to 10.8-1 compression

These compression samples are just that. The Cam choice makes a big difference on the static compression choice.

Blowers pretty much raise the compression. When the static compression is higher it takes less blower too fill the combustion chambers. Meaning you don't have to spin the blowers so hard to make the power.

I would definitely go HKE on the engine build. He knows his stuff. There are only 3 engine builders in the country I would trust and he's one of them.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM10 View Post
What do you think of this 416 kit ?

"We can forge your LS3, make it a 416 for $3850 and it will be good for 900+ rwhp. We will drop the compression by using a deep dish piston taking your heads into consideration. This is the least expensive way to get to where you want to go.

We use a Callies C-series crank and Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons and GFX rings, ARP mainstuds, ACL coated race bearings.

honed, line honed, decked, balanced.. ready to go !

We can upgrade the rods and crank to Compstar for a bit more money. The C series crank is a favorite of Erik's to help save some money. The Compstar is the next level up and then the Dragonslayer. We use this combo in a lot of engines to keep costs down."
You will never get 900 + hp out of the Edelbrock. I am already on the smallest pully available, already stroked and even using E85...just sayin!

You have to have your engine machined/ honed anyway to match to pistons. You might as well do it to 4080 and go for the 418. The 416 is probably only a quick shop hone to 4070 and wont be machined to match steel rings imo.

Personal opinion, for the small cost to upgrade to Callies series I would go for it. Wiseco pistons are nice but I went with CP . ARP2000 bolt upgrade is a good idea as well. ls9 head gasket upgrade suggested. Install LPE or ADM dual fuel pump. Upgrade timing chain and tensioner, Blower Cam and springs with pushrods. This is going to be closer to 10K than 4K imo. Callies rotating assembly, pistons and rings, bearings etc is around 2500 just in parts. Cam kit 1500. Fuel pump 1000. Bolts, gaskets and labor 4K +

Sounds like you got a good build going on though..I like your style.

Good luck man!
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
The biggest mistake I see alot is running the compression too low. With the old school motors you had to run low compression to fight detination. These LS motors are much more efficient.

For a turbo build you would want a 9-1 compression.
For a roots you want around 10-1
For a centrifical you want 10-1 to 10.8-1 compression

These compression samples are just that. The Cam choice makes a big difference on the static compression choice.

Blowers pretty much raise the compression. When the static compression is higher it takes less blower too fill the combustion chambers. Meaning you don't have to spin the blowers so hard to make the power.

I would definitely go HKE on the engine build. He knows his stuff. There are only 3 engine builders in the country I would trust and he's one of them.
Very good advice and right on target. I am at 10.02 to 1 compression. Dont rush and just take whatever pistons are available. Get exactly what you want to build. 4080 with a -13.8 dish for mine!

I love how so many folks are finally catching on to a proper ls3 blown build. Wish it was like this when I started....I would have saved so much money and time trying to learn.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #26
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiy1983 View Post
http://www.hkracingengines.com/index.php
I had my engine stroked by Eric at HKE and i am 1000% satisfied!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
We are the preferred distributor for Erik/ HKE
If a person needs an engine please come see me as we are the sponsor of this board and pay the bills
To be honest Erik would appreciate it as well, it frees him up to build the engines and take care of that end of things. If he is on the phone he cant get production done. I'll be honest; he and I are on the phone together when most people are sleeping probably 6 days a week. anyone in Texas I can save you the 8.4% sales tax as well
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #27
moiy1983

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
If a person needs an engine please come see me as we are the sponsor of this board and pay the bills
To be honest Erik would appreciate it as well, it frees him up to build the engines and take care of that end of things. If he is on the phone he cant get production done. I'll be honest; he and I are on the phone together when most people are sleeping probably 6 days a week. anyone in Texas I can save you the 8.4% sales tax as well

Yes Eric does work some crazy hours! I went personally to pick up my engine around 11 pm and he said he was working through the night. I shoped around for LS engine builders and HKE keep coming up. Nobody had any bad things to say, nothing but great things were said about HKE. This guy blew my mind away with his knowlege on LS engines.
moiy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #28
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
I forgot about the tax break. How much is the shipping though?

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote