Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Summit White Camaro
Wheel Allignment & Bushings Timing

Should I have the wheels aligned and the bushings timed at the same time that I install my drop springs? Or should I wait a period of time (or miles) before I have the alignment and timings done? Thanks!
69307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Timing is done at the time of installation. I'd wait a couple hundred miles and a week or two to let the springs settle before the alignment.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Sorry but what is bushing timing?

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179281
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
Sorry but what is bushing timing?
Tighting ur suspension to torque specs with the weight of the vehicle on and not in the air (jack stands or lift)
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Summit White Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Timing is done at the time of installation. I'd wait a couple hundred miles and a week or two to let the springs settle before the alignment.
Thanks
69307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Tighting ur suspension to torque specs with the weight of the vehicle on and not in the air (jack stands or lift)
Thanks for clearing that up.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
I have read alot here about the need for "timing" the bushings.

I am not in disagreement that it may be necessary,however it was not done at the factory.

See the pics below I shot while at the Oshawa factory and you can clearly see the suspension is at full droop all the way through until it comes of the line for the first time.
The pivot points are fully tightened as I saw no one re-tighten when the Cars finally hit the ground.

I personally did not do it to my Car when I installed dropped springs.No problems what so ever.

Can't hurt to do it.......just saying.
Attached Images

67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Cool pics!

At this stage the suspension may be hanging but the bolts have already been tightened at simulated ride height. You can tell in some of the pics that the bolts have already been marked, identifying that they were torqued to spec and signed off on. The weight of the suspension is allowing the suspension to droop by twisting the bushings. When the weight of the car is finally put onto the suspension the bushings will return to the clock position they were tightened at.

I understand that people have lowered their vehicles without re-clocking (timing) the bushings and have no issues. I can only say that with all of the spring installs we have performed we have seen up to a 1/2" change in vehicle height simply by re-clocking the bushings. I realize it is an extra expense but it's not like we as manufacturers have anything to gain by pushing this, it simply insures that you will get the best and most consistent performance out of your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
I have read alot here about the need for "timing" the bushings.

I am not in disagreement that it may be necessary,however it was not done at the factory.

See the pics below I shot while at the Oshawa factory and you can clearly see the suspension is at full droop all the way through until it comes of the line for the first time.
The pivot points are fully tightened as I saw no one re-tighten when the Cars finally hit the ground.

I personally did not do it to my Car when I installed dropped springs.No problems what so ever.

Can't hurt to do it.......just saying.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

I understand what you are saying.

I'm just saying I never saw them "lift" the suspension to simulate ride hieght when they tightened the bushing bolts.

Not to say it wasn't done,but I didn't see it and followed one particular chassis through that process.

I wonder why the poster above you posted this ...I don't think that I posted something stupid.

I'm sharing what I saw at Oshawa with everyone and expressed my opinion...sorry dude.

By the way,I love my BMR trailing arms
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
I understand what you are saying.

I'm just saying I never saw them "lift" the suspension to simulate ride hieght when they tightened the bushing bolts.

Not to say it wasn't done,but I didn't see it and followed one particular chassis through that process.

I wonder why the poster above you posted this ...I don't think that I posted something stupid.

I'm sharing what I saw at Oshawa with everyone and expressed my opinion...sorry dude.

By the way,I love my BMR trailing arms
I didn't see anything wrong with your post. It's not like you were trying to convince people not to re-clock their bushings, you were simply stating what you saw and sharing your experience.

I haven't personally watched a Fifth gen suspension assembly come together on the production line but I have done tons of suspension systems on many different vehicles from our product line and can tell you how easily bushings can effect ride heights if they are tightened with the suspension hanging. This isn't a problem that comes only from lowering. This is an issue any time a suspension part (with rubber bushings) is removed or replaced. When re-installing the part the bolts need to be tightened with the weight of the car resting on the suspension or the bushings will be in a pre-loaded state. It's just good practice to do this anytime you are working on suspension components.

Glad you like your Trailing Arms, btw!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There is an easy way to verify the OE assembly times the bushes to OE ride height. With an OE 5th Gen on a two post lift and the wheels at full droop loosen the front inner control arm bush and watch the wheel drop. The same is true in the rear.

There is nothing wrong with your post or question. Camaro5 is a discussion board. It is more than that. It is a community. The only bad question is the one that doesn't get asked.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There is an easy way to verify the OE assembly times the bushes to OE ride height. With an OE 5th Gen on a two post lift and the wheels at full droop loosen the front inner control arm bush and watch the wheel drop. The same is true in the rear.

There is nothing wrong with your post or question. Camaro5 is a discussion board. It is more than that. It is a community. The only bad question is the one that doesn't get asked.
Yes,that makes perfect sence.....

I was referring to the guy from Bruce@RaymondsPerformance that apparently thought my comments deserved this

My feelings got hurt

As usual Justice Pete and the BMR guys are rite on target.