Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Thinking about blacking out DRL reflectors, but need some opinions.

Alright, as the title says I'm thinking about blacking out the reflectors on my DRLs. Basically, as the weather slowly starts to get nicer I'm getting more and more ideas as to what I want to do to my car, and most recently I've decided that I'm going to get some LED DRLs as well as some DRL halos from AAC. The issue I have with all the pictures I've seen so far with this setup is that the halos seem to get washed out and sorta lost in it all, and I think it's partly because of the reflectors. The idea I have to get around this is basically to cover the reflectors in some kind of matte black finish, either paint or vinyl, with the added benefit of more closely resembling the headlights (with the bulb in the center and the halos around the outside with black plastic filling the space between), however I have a few questions about this that I hope some of you can help me with.

First off, vinyl or paint? I have yet to see this done so I have no idea what the finished product would look like, or if I'd even like it, so vinyl would be ideal as it is technically removable. However, if the reflector is simply painted silver removing the vinyl might also remove the reflective surface as well, essentially negating the benefits of the vinyl. There's also the question as to whether this is a proper application for vinyl. With this curved surface and the finish of the reflectors (which is a mystery to me) would I even be able to apply the vinyl and make it last? Or would I just be better off going with a matte black paint?

Second, would changing the reflector to a matte black cause some strange side effect that I am not thinking about? Obviously it would reduce the effectiveness of the DRLs and I am OK with that to a certain extent, but the question is how much of a difference would a blacked out reflector make?

This would be the first time I've ever attempted a project like this, so any help from a more experienced hand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Some people have done this mod. If you do a search you may find some DIYs/instructions. Personally, I've thought about this mod as well. But I have the p13w bulbs from AAC and not sure how they would look with the black on the inside of the fogs.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Hmmmm, perhaps I'm not using the right search terms, but I'm coming up with nothing for DIYs or even pictures.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote