Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
LIL QIK

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Remind me of how the bi-mode exhaust works

Shortly after I picked up my ZL1 I started modding and one of the first was putting on the complete Magnaflow 3" exhaust. Well the drone has finally gotten on my nerves enough to put my stock exhaust back on. So I get it on but don't think it's working any longer or working the way I remembered anymore.

So.... I was under the impression that it was loud when you first fire up and pretty much under wide open throttle only....

But brother is thinking that it's only quiet under steady state driving....

I'm wondering if my cam just isn't pulling enough vac to make them work correctly. Sorry....I know this is kind of a rookie question....but your help would be greatly appreciated......
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Start the car, the exhaust is open till ~1000 rpm, then closed till ~ 3500 rpm
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
LIL QIK

so it's really only closed between 1000 and 3500 rpms?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
brian-nicola

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Yep.
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
If you want more control over the exhaust bypass valve, consider buying the Forza Dual Mode Exhaust Controller. I have this device. It's excellent and easy DIY installation. $78.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
LIL QIK

Thanks for all the input guys. Something ended up being wrong with mine....so I just bypassed it all and made them strictly vacuum operated. That way they work pretty much like I want. Its fairly quiet until I drive a little aggressively...and then it sounds a little aggressive...lol. Think I'll see how this route goes for a while...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
First, a quick overview of how the system works
It is basically electrical control over vacuum actuation. The engine supplies vacuum to the system, the vacuum is stored in a tank to cover periods of low or no engine vacuum (WOT and start up). A check valve is upstream of the tank to keep the tank from dumping vacuum back to the intake manifold when there is no vacuum source. Electrical control comes from magic boxes sensing everything and deciding when to open and close Q15 (exhaust flow control valve).
The Camaro NPP factory system is programed to be open at idle, close about 1,500-2,000 rpm during normal driving and be open at > ~75-80% throttle position. I don’t have one to verify, but I believe the Corvette programing is different (closed at idle).
The bellow picture shows the vacuum lines, storage tank, control valve and actuator. The funny thing about my vacuum tank, it has “top” marked on it that is on the bottom. The tank is the black box on the right with a single vacuum connection, the control valve is protected by the Tetris shaped cover just to the left of the tank and the actuator is the round object attached to the output of the muffler. There are 2 actuators, one for each muffler. The control valve receives a 12v input to open vacuum to the actuator, when no 12v is present it dumps vacuum from the actuator but does not dump vacuum from the tank.
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote