Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sorry I didn't read everything BUT that looks normal. Racing wears out tires FAST... Like a few hundred miles.

Notice how most of the wear is on the inside shoulder, this is due to the camber and how the car pushes through the curves and doing donuts.

I could wear my pirellis out in about 3 hours if I wanted to.

Don't read too deep into this. The mustangs tires would look the same after a hard day of racing.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
Etherij

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Tires.. Do wear out.. Don't they?
Flowmaster AMT
Etherij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Speaking from limited experience, I couldnt believe how much wear I put on my tires from one day at a track. My front tires in particular had severe wear and very odd wear at that. My rears were half toasted already so I don't know how much I really put on them. now if you put a more experienced driver in my car the wear I got could be completely different. More, less, in different spots... In my extremely novice opinion, that wear is probably normal. It is sad in my opinion that people are not allowed to speculate and bench race on here with the ZL1 in the same fashion they were when the SS was in pre production mode. The truth is you have a lot of propaganda and advertising from both GM and Ford. I say Put away the butthurt forms, let the bench racing and trash talk go where it may and let the production cars in the hands of the consumer battle it out for top dog.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Speaking from limited experience, I couldnt believe how much wear I put on my tires from one day at a track. My front tires in particular had severe wear and very odd wear at that. My rears were half toasted already so I don't know how much I really put on them. now if you put a more experienced driver in my car the wear I got could be completely different. More, less, in different spots... In my extremely novice opinion, that wear is probably normal. It is sad in my opinion that people are not allowed to speculate and bench race on here with the ZL1 in the same fashion they were when the SS was in pre production mode. The truth is you have a lot of propaganda and advertising from both GM and Ford. I say Put away the butthurt forms, let the bench racing and trash talk go where it may and let the production cars in the hands of the consumer battle it out for top dog.

Well said.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Just slightly off topic, but what is the tread wear rating for the Goodyear G2 tires on the ZL1?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
220 AA A

Which happens to be the same as the Pirellis on the SS...which means they should wear at about the same rate.....but I think they are molded with less tread-depth in the first place, so we're behind from the start.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I'm not seeing the motivation for GM to lie; it's not like the two were close enough for someone at GM to decide the risk of losing is higher than the risk of getting caught cheating.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I can't imagine GM or any car manufacturer would send a car to a road test with brand new unscrubbed tires. It makes absolute sense they sent the car with a set of scrubbed-in, road-tested and balanced tires. Nothing "under-handed" or "unfair" about it; just good car prep.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWRX View Post
Yeah, theres definitely a double standard here when it comes to Camaro owners and owners of other cars in terms of post quality.
And I've seen some real asshole Camaro members on here too.

But I'll tell you how I personally feel. I someone is on here ONLY to 'correct' someone they feel is wrong about their car or the Camaro over their car then that person WILL be held to a higher standard. At least by me. I'd fully expect to be held to the same if I went to their respective forums.

The OPs first thread on this topic which was his first post ever was titled "ZL1 CAUGHT CHEATING AGAINST THE BOSS".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
I agree...But do we know for a "fact" that it was put though its paces many, many, many times during that day, or was it just two laps around a very short track?
Nope.

Do we know for a "fact" there isn't and LS9 in that Camaro? Do we know for a "fact" that those aren't huge plastic lawn mower tires on that Mustang? Hell, we don't even know for a "fact" they didn't fill the Mustang trunk with sandbags.

Quote:
It is sad in my opinion that people are not allowed to speculate and bench race on here with the ZL1 in the same fashion they were when the SS was in pre production mode. The truth is you have a lot of propaganda and advertising from both GM and Ford. I say Put away the butthurt forms, let the bench racing and trash talk go where it may and let the production cars in the hands of the consumer battle it out for top dog.
Read the first thread he put up. WITCH was his first post on the forum. And yes it does matter. He is coming from a trolling position flat out and so MY responses are NOT ignoring that. I COULD ignore that but the point he's making is just stupid. imo
Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Randy, it was a general statement and not OP or this thread specific. I really hope the ZL1 is all the hype and more. My point is so many people getting butthurt over the slightest doubt over any aspect of the ZL1. Magazines editors all have opinions. Manufacturers all have the best product, just ask them. Put the ZL1 and the GT500 on the streets and on the tracks with an owner instead of a test driver behind the wheel and let the best car win. I personally don't understand all the anger and fear on this site and others over any little doubt of the ZL1. If Ford wins then good for them and it raises the bar. Either way, I won't own a Ford unless GM and Chrysler are both gone. No matter what I own the chances of my running the ring in it are next to nil. Let's get the cars into the real world and let them speak for themselves.
Only time I've ever seen people get real upset when someone challenges the ZL1 is when they do so with mediocre or foundationless "facts" for no other reason than to assault it and rile people up.

Beyond that...I see discussions you've detailed take place ad nauseam.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Beyond that...I see discussions you've detailed take place ad nauseam.
Agreed. It was the same with the SS but not as much butthurt because all was still unknown and speculation. Let the best car win.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Look, first off it wasnt my intention to piss anyone off. Second, i agree with PQ that my original thread title was out of line, and have apologized several times. I'll also say again that yes there are no facts to support anything i have posted, just pictures that people can make their own speculations on. At first i thought i was on to something and jumped to conclusions, but honestly there is no proof to support either side of the argument. Conspiracy theory yes it is... All i can say now is if the zl1 gets stomped by the 13 shelby, or the 12 shelby at that, boy will the conspriacy theories be flying around here and everywhere else about cheating, biased mags, didnt use the inde ranch track, track was better suited for shelby, blah blah ect ect. Both vehicles are badass, and soon enough they will be lined up together. One will come out on top, and when that happens, whatever the outcome, there will always be speculation and conspiracy theories from either side. Love it or hate it, you might as well just get used to it...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
worn tires is all that is...couple good roasts, track and mileage, mine look the same...I don't think it's some kind of cover up/conspiracy going on. makes for some craptastic wet weather driving though!

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #42
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
ZL1 beating a Boss, expected!!! Well
Done GM. Now let's just wait and see what happens when the ZL1 takes on the Boss' big brother when both are out in a couple
of months. I tell you what, I was at Super Sunday car meet in SoCal this morning and between the established Mustang and Camaro car guys, not one Camaro owner was willing to bet against the new GT500. Some are already looking forward and hopIng for a more powerful 2013 or 2014 ZL1.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote